Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How ' bout Jose Garcia?

Re: How ' bout Jose Garcia?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    During the radio broadcast yesterday, Jim Day commented that Barry Larkin was raving about this kid before this performance thus far.
    Can verify that Barry was on it, timestamp February 10th.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/...65376447614978

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Actually......his home runs have all come against solid major leaguers

Mike Fiers - 15-4 with 3.90 ERA in 2019
    Cam Bedrosian - 3.23 ERA in 2019, 3.76 ERA lifetime
    Kenyan Middleton - 1.17 ERA in 2019 3.23 career ERA
    All I'm saying is that in these early stages of ST, when no one is at their best, certainly not close to the level they want to be to start the season, especially pitchers; but getting the reps, working on mechanics, etc - it's not the best barometer to judge performance IMO. Especially a young player who is probably an "unknown" to the pitchers.

I enjoy watching ST. I just don't put too much in W-Ls and performances.

But I'm excited for the kid, and hope he continues to do well. If he continues his hot Spring, IMO, that will simply tell them at what level in the farms he needs to be at to start the season. Probably AA, and you go from there. I'm like everyone else though - we need a SS, and I think it's time in the cycle we finally "hit" on one of our prospects. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-01-2020 at 04:40 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

Stingray (03-01-2020)

I saw Garcia play 125 games in 2018. He made big improvements that season, going from being a guy that looked like he shouldn’t have even been in the league yet, to being a very promising player. There were credible people quietly commenting that they felt he was a better prospect than some much bigger names by the end of 2018. He has always been a player that has generated comments from most everyone along the lines of “he is going to be a very good player” or “I would have him a lot higher than...(most of the major lists have him).”

He has a ways to go defensively, just due to lack of experience. He has a good chance to develop into at least an average major league defensive shortstop, but he has work to do. He just needs to play to gain a feel for how to stay focused for the full nine innings, how to avoid running himself into a tougher hop when it is unnecessary, etc. It has been a year since I have seen him, but his error totals in 2019 tell me he still has a ways to go. At this point, he is a 35+ error guy over 150 games, again due to lack of experience. He has a good chance to be a good everyday player, but some patience will be needed.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-04-2020),757690 (03-02-2020),Benihana (03-01-2020),BillDoran (03-02-2020),cumberlandreds (03-01-2020),Edd Roush (03-02-2020),JFLegal (03-01-2020),North (03-02-2020),Number_Fourteen (03-01-2020),RedsfaninMT (03-02-2020),Roy Tucker (03-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If he continues his hot Spring, IMO, that will simply tell them at what level in the farms he needs to be at to start the season. Probably AA, and you go from there
    He could have gone 0 for 69 this spring and started at AA. He was one of the best players in his A+ league last season.

I get what you’re saying, I’m just trying to tell you Garcia isn’t some random player, this kid has a pedigree and has been turning people’s heads for the past 1.5 years or so. I think the only reason he’s not considered a top 25 prospect is because prospect “experts” don’t like to admit they were wrong. See: Taylor Trammell still being considered a top 100 prospect.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

GAC (03-02-2020),Rdirtypirates (03-01-2020),Spanky (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He could have gone 0 for 69 this spring and started at AA. He was one of the best players in his A+ league last season.

I get what you’re saying, I’m just trying to tell you Garcia isn’t some random player, this kid has a pedigree and has been turning people’s heads for the past 1.5 years or so. I think the only reason he’s not considered a top 25 prospect is because prospect “experts” don’t like to admit they were wrong. See: Taylor Trammell still being considered a top 100 prospect.
    It is a bit hilarious to look at fangraphs scouting grades and see where Garcia is ranked compared to other SS prospects. They have him as a present value 60 fielding and 70 arm which the best combo rating in the minors. Nobody has a future value combo that high. They are basically saying he is the best defensive SS in the minors among guys they rate 40 FV and above.

60/60 PV/FV grade speed. Pretty darn good.

Okay, so what about his bat? Hit tool is 35/40, pitch selection 40, bat control 45, game power 35/50, raw power 55/60. Jazz Chisolm and ONeil Cruz are the same age and rank in the 30's as 55 FV. Yet they grade out similarly on offense and lesser on defense. It doesn't add up.

Some of it might just be a lack of exposure
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-01-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

11. Likes:

HammerTime (03-01-2020),Ron Madden (03-01-2020)

The Reds didn’t land Lindor this winter, nor Trevor Story, Carlos Correa, or Seager. Yes, they let Jose Peraza simply walk, and didn’t pursue any sort of long-term pact with Jose Iglesias. They’re committed to rolling with Galvis, for now, with the thin lines of Alex Blandino, Blake Trahan, Rodriguez, or even Kyle Farmer as their only backups. But perhaps they’ve got someone already around who looks poised to take command of the position as soon as next year, a player who they’ve already long invested ample time and money into who could well emerge as the next great Cincinnati shortstop.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ll/ar-BB10qKae

13. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-02-2020),CarolinaRedleg (03-02-2020),Edd Roush (03-01-2020),RedForLife (03-02-2020),Stingray (03-01-2020)

And I definitely respect the words of former players and coaches who have worked with him and know more then any, who say he has all the tools and is the real deal. That makes the rest of us stand up, take notice, and watch his progress to see if what they say is true.

Plus, there's has to be solid reason why the Reds invited this non-roster player to ST (other then the fact they need a future SS)

It's great that he was one of the best players at high A ball. But all that tells me is that he's "mastered" that level and is ready for the next. I hope he has a solid Spring and, IMO, he should be at AA where he'll get consistent playing time (ABs). He's not going anywhere, and you got the entire '20 season to further watch his progress, gain more experience/maturity, and go from there.

I never was high on Trammell. Not comparing him to Garcia, but yeah, they said he had the tools too.
    Last edited by GAC; 03-02-2020 at 03:54 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I saw Garcia play 125 games in 2018. He made big improvements that season, going from being a guy that looked like he shouldn’t have even been in the league yet, to being a very promising player. There were credible people quietly commenting that they felt he was a better prospect than some much bigger names by the end of 2018. He has always been a player that has generated comments from most everyone along the lines of “he is going to be a very good player” or “I would have him a lot higher than...(most of the major lists have him).”

He has a ways to go defensively, just due to lack of experience. He has a good chance to develop into at least an average major league defensive shortstop, but he has work to do. He just needs to play to gain a feel for how to stay focused for the full nine innings, how to avoid running himself into a tougher hop when it is unnecessary, etc. It has been a year since I have seen him, but his error totals in 2019 tell me he still has a ways to go. At this point, he is a 35+ error guy over 150 games, again due to lack of experience. He has a good chance to be a good everyday player, but some patience will be needed.
    Great info. I didn't realize how error prone he has been so far in the minors. 25 errors in 100 games at SS? Yikes.

Here's to hoping he continues to develop and lives up to the promise he's shown this spring

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing this kid.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Great info. I didn't realize how error prone he has been so far in the minors. 25 errors in 100 games at SS? Yikes.

Here's to hoping he continues to develop and lives up to the promise he's shown this spring
    Barry Larkin had 29 errors in his 2nd full year with the Reds.

19. Likes:

Kurt Stillwell (03-02-2020),Ron Madden (03-02-2020)

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

I'm all for letting the young kids play in the bigs THIS season. Look around the league and notice how many other teams have their talented youngsters playing on major league squads. At the very least, I say keep Garcia and Aquino on the major league squad (and perhaps even T. Stephenson) from the get-go. I've seen enough of the Scheblers, Dietrichs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    I'm all for letting the young kids play in the bigs THIS season. Look around the league and notice how many other teams have their talented youngsters playing on major league squads. At the very least, I say keep Garcia and Aquino on the major league squad (and perhaps even T. Stephenson) from the get-go. I've seen enough of the Scheblers, Dietrichs, etc.
    Garcia needs time above A+ ball, he could move through the system quickly if he crushes AA pitching early in the season. I expect him to be up next year, best case scenario is hell be up later this season. no need to rush the guy at the moment.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

22. Likes:

GAC (03-03-2020),Griffey012 (03-02-2020),WrongVerb (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    Talented youngsters don't go from A ball to the majors. Garcia is going to AA no matter what he does in spring training, and it is the right move.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

24. Likes:

mth123 (03-02-2020),Ron Madden (03-02-2020)

^^^ This.

Like you said, he isn't a random player. The Reds paid $5mm to sign him bc they thought he was uber talented. He was in Daytona as a 21 year old, while Senzel was there as a 22 year old, so it will be interesting to see how he performs in AA this year.

And FWIW-- no idea who this person is-- but they had Garcia as the top prospect for the Reds back in January. So yeah-- some people who follow this closely see the talent.

https://www.prospectslive.com/lists/...p-30-prospects

26. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Barry Larkin had 29 errors in his 2nd full year with the Reds.
    Yep. Even some of the great shortstops tend to have a lot of errors initially.

As for Garcia, as they used to say, let's wait until the boys start throwing the curve balls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

28. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2020)

Turn Off Ads?