Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catcher Stephenson's defense

Catcher Stephenson's defense

Sure moves well for a guy 6' 4". And what a great arm! I thought the skivvy on Stephenson was that the only thing holding him back was that he needed a little more work on defense. It sure looks like he's ready now. So breaking camp next spring who do the reds keep besides him, Casali or Barnhart?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Catcher Stephenson's defense

Quote Originally Posted by madeirawood View Post
    Sure moves well for a guy 6' 4". And what a great arm! I thought the skivvy on Stephenson was that the only thing holding him back was that he needed a little more work on defense. It sure looks like he's ready now. So breaking camp next spring who do the reds keep besides him, Casali or Barnhart?
    Casali

Casali. He's connected with Johnson, he's a pretty decent defender in his own right, he's a better bat than Barnhart and he's cheaper. .

Some team with a huge hole behind the plate will take Barnhart off the Reds hands. If they can dump Barnhart and Galvis, that frees up $10 Million or so to retain Bauer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stephenson wasn't being held back by really anything outside of injuries. His defense and arm are quite good and his bat projects to be league average.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Casali. He's connected with Johnson, he's a pretty decent defender in his own right, he's a better bat than Barnhart and he's cheaper. .

Some team with a huge hole behind the plate will take Barnhart off the Reds hands. If they can dump Barnhart and Galvis, that frees up $10 Million or so to retain Bauer.
    IIRC, Galvis is a FA at the end of the year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

mth123 (09-11-2020)

The Rockies really, really need catching help. Barnhart would be a day 1 starter there, and the only catcher they have in their pipeline they just drafted out of high school this year. So probably five years away.

9. Likes:

mth123 (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    IIRC, Galvis is a FA at the end of the year.
    He is. SO now just need a taker for Barnhart.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

He is. SO now just need a taker for Barnhart.
    It might be a better option to keep Barnhart until the trade deadline. Catchers seem to get moved at that time. Just a couple weeks ago we saw Austin Hedges, Robinson Chiniros, Austin Nola, and Jason Castro all get moved. In 2019, Max Stassi and Martin Maldonado got moved at the deadline. I suspect that would be the point where Barnhart has the most value.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If Barnhart had any value he would have been moved at this deadline.

Reds will still try to shop him, but might have to kick in money or a prospect. No idea why they couldn't manage it a few weeks back.

13. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-11-2020),HokieRed (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    If Barnhart had any value he would have been moved at this deadline.

Reds will still try to shop him, but might have to kick in money or a prospect. No idea why they couldn't manage it a few weeks back.
    I really don't understand why we weren't on the phone with the Rockies.

Their farm system is really, really bad, but they have nothing at catcher unless they're going big in the FA market. And I'm sure a couple of lottery tickets would have been all it took.

Because, right or wrong, they like Barnhart snd may not want to lose him

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I really don't understand why we weren't on the phone with the Rockies.

Their farm system is really, really bad, but they have nothing at catcher unless they're going big in the FA market. And I'm sure a couple of lottery tickets would have been all it took.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Because, right or wrong, they like Barnhart snd may not want to lose him
    I like Barnhart. Seems like a solid dude. But I also like winning. Stephenson can hit. Tucker can’t.

17. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-11-2020),podgejeff_ (09-11-2020)

If Stephenson is the starting catcher next year, Barnhart makes more sense as his backup than Casali.

Barnhart is a better defender, better with the pitching staff, and I would imagine a better tutor for Stephenson. He also bats LH which would allow the Reds to sit Stephenson against tough RH starting pitchers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Stephenson is the starting catcher next year, Barnhart makes more sense as his backup than Casali.

Barnhart is a better defender, better with the pitching staff, and I would imagine a better tutor for Stephenson. He also bats LH which would allow the Reds to sit Stephenson against tough RH starting pitchers.
    Nah, Tucker's handling of the staff is overrated. And his bat is absolutely brutal. It's time to move on.

I'll take Casali's pop and extra year of control over whatever intangibles Barnhart brings.

20. Likes:

HokieRed (09-11-2020),Old school 1983 (09-11-2020),podgejeff_ (09-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Nah, Tucker's handling of the staff is overrated. And his bat is absolutely brutal. It's time to move on.

I'll take Casali's pop and extra year of control over whatever intangibles Barnhart brings.
    My guess is the Reds pitchers disagree with you. The Reds front office have made clear that they disagree as well. As a backup, his bat will be minimized. But most importantly, Barnhart would make a great mentor for Stephenson as he navigates through his rookie season as the leader of the defense.

I’m clearly a bigger intangible guy than you, especially when it comes to catcher. There is a reason why every great manager demands a leader at catcher for their team.

Casali might actually bring back something of worth in a trade as well.

Btw, Casali’s career OPS is .725. Tucker’s is .695. There isn’t that big a difference between their bats as most people think.
    Last edited by 757690; 09-11-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?