Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB's Postseason Bubble Plan Awaits Union Approval

MLB's Postseason Bubble Plan Awaits Union Approval

Under the plan, the World Series would start Oct. 20 at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, and would end no later than Oct. 28. It would culminate a month of playoff games that begin with the top four seeds in each league hosting all the games in a best-of-three wild-card series. The four American League series would run Sept. 29, 30 and Oct. 1, and the National League would play Sept. 30, Oct. 1 and Oct. 2.

The highest remaining seed in the NL would play its division series in Arlington while the next-highest seed would face its opponent at Houston's Minute Maid Park. The top seed from the AL would be the home team at San Diego's Petco Park, while the other series would be held at Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium. The AL Championship Series would take place in San Diego and the NLCS in Arlington, giving the NL's top seed -- likely the Los Angeles Dodgers -- a path to a stationary October.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassa...14372539539456

2. Likes:

Hamilton95 (09-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB's Postseason Bubble Plan Awaits Union Approval

The World Series in one neutral location sounds like something Manfred would push to make permanent.
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-15-2020),bm1475 (09-12-2020),Chip R (09-16-2020),Hamilton95 (09-12-2020),marcshoe (09-15-2020)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

The Neutral Zone World Series is an idea that actually originated with (or got a major publicity boost from) vestigial assbone Scott Boras. It is a very very bad idea.

But for this year? Bring on the bubble. If anything, I'd shrink the bubble down to 2 sites (after the best-of-3 first round at home stadiums), since you can still do a VERY TV-friendly DS and CS schedule that way. Then a single site for the WS. If ticket sales aren't a concern (and they shouldn't be, since at most you'd get permission to run at 20-25% capacity, and you could charge whatever you want and still "sell out"; not that they should be letting anyone in, but if you're talking about Texas, logic is out the window), over-saturating a market is NOT an issue.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),Ron Madden (09-16-2020)

Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    ·
    39m
    Major League Baseball and the Players Association reached agreement late last night on a plan for the 2020 postseason, including neutral-site bubbles for the Division Series, League Championship Series and World Series, sources tell The Athletic. Announcement expected today.

I hate the thought of playoff games at Minute Maid. The quirky nature and extremely cheap HR's to left bother me.
    Let's play two!!!

10. Likes:

bm1475 (09-15-2020),Old school 1983 (09-16-2020)

A World Series will have been played in a stadium before the first fan ever sees a game in that stadium. Odd.

12. Likes:

CaiGuy (09-15-2020),Revering4Blue (09-15-2020),Wonderful Monds (09-15-2020)

Did they pick the World Series site based on who had the ugliest park?

It actually makes sense to pick warmer weather quasi-bubbles for the playoffs. If corona numbers blast off over the next six weeks, it could make it difficult to conclude the postseason. This is probably the sane, responsible action to take. However, someone should have thought through putting that crime against architecture on display for a national audience.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Name:  Arlington Home Depot 1a.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  73.2 KB
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

M2 (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    I hate the thought of playoff games at Minute Maid. The quirky nature and extremely cheap HR's to left bother me.
    I've hated that park ever since it opened. Left field approximately 250 feet away for no good reason, stupid hill in center field that "pays homage" to Crosley but is completely contrived out of thin air, flagpole in center "just like Tiger Stadium" but really just another stupid contrivance, the train, their old crappy red uniforms, the futuristic theme of their team name paired clumsily with "ye olde tymey train station"... the whole thing is just gross. And yes, I'm aware they removed the hill and flagpole a few years ago.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-16-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

October is peak fire season in southern California. I can see air quality being an issue.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

Chip R (09-16-2020)

They should name one of the Bubbles after Kurt Bevacqua.

21. Likes:

Chip R (09-16-2020),Norm Chortleton (09-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    The Neutral Zone World Series is an idea that actually originated with (or got a major publicity boost from) vestigial assbone Scott Boras. It is a very very bad idea.

But for this year? Bring on the bubble. If anything, I'd shrink the bubble down to 2 sites (after the best-of-3 first round at home stadiums), since you can still do a VERY TV-friendly DS and CS schedule that way. Then a single site for the WS. If ticket sales aren't a concern (and they shouldn't be, since at most you'd get permission to run at 20-25% capacity, and you could charge whatever you want and still "sell out"; not that they should be letting anyone in, but if you're talking about Texas, logic is out the window), over-saturating a market is NOT an issue.
    Whitey Herzog had the idea for a neutral site World Series way before Boras was even an agent although I'm sure many people before Herzog had that idea. Actually the 1887 "World Series" that lasted 15 games was played at eight neutral site games at eight cities across the country. The Detroit Wolverines (NL) beat the St. Louis Browns (AA) 10 games to 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

23. Likes:

goreds2 (09-16-2020)

Was not sure where to post this:

2020 continues to show us how many things we have to change due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes MLB celebrations after clinching postseason bids and clinching the division.

MLB playoff celebrations are being dealt a sobering blow this season. According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the league is forbidding the presence of alcohol from any stadium celebration as teams clinch playoff spots and advance through each round of the postseason.
    https://www.iheart.com/content/2020-...line2_readmore
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I think the rule on alcohol is fine....but what does that have to do with the pandemic?

I’m ok with a neutral site for playoffs this year. It’s a fan-less season so home field advantage is just who bats first and last.

But don’t make it permanent. Part of playoff baseball is a roaring partisan crowd. And how one team can ride the crest of the crowd and one team has to deal with adversity. A home stadium can roar like a Saturn V rocket in good times or go as quiet as a church in bad.

Otherwise, we have the baseball equivalent of a Super Bowl crowd who is the to be seen and party on and doesn’t care nearly as much about the games. Passionate fans are key.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

27. Likes:

goreds2 (09-16-2020),KittyDuran (09-16-2020),M2 (09-16-2020),Old school 1983 (09-16-2020),Revering4Blue (09-16-2020),Ron Madden (09-16-2020),smixsell (09-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?