Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: aquino

Re: aquino

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Isn't Synecdoche a city in upstate New York?
    No, it’s weird movie by Charlie Kaufman (though that is redundant)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Likes:

westofyou (09-22-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Same could be said for Mark Trumbo and Chris Davis.

I think KC hit the nail on the head. They wanted versatility and they went super cheap on the acquisition of the versatility. They should have went out and traded for Goodwin before the season started, he’s legit, Jankowski and Payton were not.

I think the real reason AA was at Prasco wasn’t all the aforementioned junk, it was Castellanos, who refused to DH.

The more and more we get into this year the more I am completely OK with Castellanos opting out. I think if he had agreed to either DH or play LF Aquino would have been up and playing regularly all season long. Instead he would have thrown a fit if the team told him he was DH or LF, the reds went along with it because they don’t want him to opt out and there was a domino effect resulting in AA at Prasco as a result.

This should have been the lineup on day 1:

C - Barnhart/Casali
    1B - Votto
    2B - Moose
    SS - Galvis
    3B - Suarez
    RF - Aquino
    CF - Senzel/Shogo
    LF - Winker
    DH - Castellanos

I think the Reds not just telling Cast he’s DH is probably the biggest mistake of the season.
    The best thing the Reds can do, both for Castellanos and themselves, is sit him down and tell him that if he returns next year he will be the everyday LF (assuming a return to NL rules next season), and if the DH remains, then he will split time between LF and DH. If he decides to stay, great. And if he decides that he is unwilling to accept that role, then both sides get a clean break.

Aquino is by far the superior defensive RF, and as critical as I have been in the past of Jesse Winker's glovework, I am convinced that he is better defensively than Castellanos -- both in LF and RF.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 09-21-2020 at 01:34 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

757690 (09-21-2020),Mitri (09-21-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-21-2020),Revering4Blue (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The best thing the Reds can do, both for Castellanos and themselves, is sit him down and tell him that if he returns next year he will be the everyday LF (assuming a return to NL rules next season), and if the DH remains, then he will split time between LF and DH. If he decides to stay, great. And if he decides that he is unwilling to accept that role, then both sides get a clean break.

Aquino is by far the superior defensive RF, and as critical as I have been in the past of Jesse Winker's glovework, I am convinced that he is better defensively than Castellanos -- both in LF and RF.
    That’s one approach. A new GM, looking with objective eyes, might opt for a more painful answer.

Votto is 37, next season hits 38. He should be the DH most days.

Moustakas is a corner man. He should be at first base.

Winker and Cast can’t be in the OF together, one gets traded.

Reds acquire a high level second baseman who brings higher BA hitting and all around play.

In general, it’s a Joe Morgan type trade. Obviously not getting a Joe Morgan. But trade one of your DH type hitters for an all around second baseman. (And opens up a corner OF for an all around player.)

There are other variants on this theme, maybe get a lesser second baseman and rotate guys around, maybe Jonathan India a top 5 MLB draft pick can play second. But the essential issue is three DHs in the daily lineup.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-21-2020 at 02:03 PM.

7. Likes:

757690 (09-21-2020),CaiGuy (09-21-2020)

Big Klu can you give me a 500 word essay on why the Reds did use Ted Savage or Buddy Bradford correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That’s one approach. A new GM, looking with objective eyes, might opt for a more painful answer.

Reds acquire a high level second baseman who brings higher BA hitting and all around play.

In general, it’s a Joe Morgan type trade. Obviously not getting a Joe Morgan. But trade one of your DH type hitters for an all around second baseman. (And opens up a corner OF for an all around player.)

There are other variants on this theme, maybe get a lesser second baseman and rotate guys around, maybe Jonathan India a top 5 MLB draft pick can play second. But the essential issue is three DHs in the daily lineup.
    This is kind of where I am at. I want Votto at DH, not so much just for defensive reasons, but because I think there is still some life in his bat. I think moving him to DH helps the Reds keep him rested and focused on hitting so they can squeeze as they can out of him offensively.

But that leaves Winker and Cast on the OF corners which is...less than ideal.

Yeah, but I don't think there will be a DH in the NL permanently until the next CBA is signed (and hopefully not even then). It's too big of a bargaining chip for the owners to just sign off on it for next year.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Oh no big klu youi did not submit the essay perhaps the topic was too abstruse,, Here is an easier topic,, explain why Mel Queen was not converted to a pitcher earlier

I’m thinking senzel plays second when Votto is DH

Still leaves Goodwin, shogo, cast, Winker, Aquino for OF

When Winker or Cast plays DH Senzel can play OF

Mix and match depending on opponent and rest schedule for Joey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 09-21-2020 at 04:49 PM.

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

13. Likes:

mth123 (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I’m thinking senzel plays second when both I hits DH

When Winker ir cast plays DH senzel can play of

That would be a variant, dependent on Votto resting pretty extensively.

That way you can move Cast or Winker to DH. In your suggestion Senzel to second, Goodwin or Shogo to CF.

But to work Joey has to sit a fair number of games. It might help him at this stage, who knows if it's feasible. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    I’m thinking senzel plays second when Votto is DH

When Winker or Cast plays DH Senzel can play OF

Do this, deal Cast for a prospect and use his money on Didi Gregorious.

Shogo CF
    Senzel 2B
    Winker LF
    Suarez 3B
    Moose 1B
    Didi SS
    Aquino RF
    Votto DH
    Stephenson C

Goodwin
    Casali
    Farmer
    Galvis (at a lesser deal)
    RH Bat to be named later. Position doesn't matter
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Aquino should be used purely off the bench the rest of the way.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-23-2020),HammerTime (09-23-2020),OGB (09-23-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020),Roy Tucker (09-23-2020),westofyou (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Goodwin as well.

19. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-23-2020),HammerTime (09-23-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Do this, deal Cast for a prospect and use his money on Didi Gregorious.

Shogo CF
    Senzel 2B
    Winker LF
    Suarez 3B
    Moose 1B
    Didi SS
    Aquino RF
    Votto DH
    Stephenson C

Goodwin
    Casali
    Farmer
    Galvis (at a lesser deal)
    RH Bat to be named later. Position doesn't matter
    It's a bad look to woo a FA and flip them the next year. I just don't see that happening

21. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I’m ok starting Aquino vs lefties.

We have to be comfortable knowing when he doesn’t walk into one he is generally annoying to watch. The defensive miscue was ugly but doesn’t happen often with him.

But he should walk into them enough that it beats shogo overmatched vs lefties.

aquino

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's a bad look to woo a FA and flip them the next year. I just don't see that happening
    Ya, we arent the Marlins, and don’t aspire to have the same reputation.

24. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (09-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?