Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Johnny Cueto, Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Jose Rijo just off the top of my head.

You’re not trying to make the argument that extremely talented guys who struggled early in their careers never figure it out are you?
    All them had immensely successful campaigns in the minors before they got thrown into the majors. Literally every single one of them had pitched well in at least AA. Outside of Cueto, they also all came up before the offensive explosion we see in the modern game. Apples and cinder blocks. I'm looking for fledgling prospects who've been thrown to the wolves and been this sort of overmatched out of the gate, and then lived to tell the tale.
    Last edited by M2; 05-03-2018 at 04:50 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    Reds management obviously felt he could handle the competition in Low-A. The fact that he's struggling right now does nothing to prove them wrong on that, especially considering the luck he's had.
    And Reds management is known for getting things right? Not exactly the best authority for an appeal.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (05-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    All them had immensely successful campaigns in the minors before they got thrown into the majors. Literally every single one of them had pitched well in at least AA. Outside of Cueto, they also all came up before the offensive explosion we see in the modern game. Apples and cinder blocks. I'm looking for fledgling prospects who've been thrown to the wolves and been this sort of overmatched out of the gate, and then lived to tell the tale.
    That’s not what you said. The point is regardless of which level they were overmatched, the fact is that they all were indeed overmatched early in their careers and figured out a way to overcome it.

Hunter Greene has pitched 8 innings. Pump the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    His stuff will surely dominate rookie ball hitters so is there a benefit there?
    He'd be able to concentrate on executing his pitches and building his endurance against lineups that he's able to best. Instead he's getting tagged and walking way too many. Got to remember we're talking about young kid with underdeveloped executive functioning. The danger is he tries to do too much when what he's got isn't enough.

Start him lower on the ladder and if tears it up: A) great, B) you can always move him up. Also, he'd be working on starting every 5th day in MiLB camp. It's not like he wouldn't be pitching right now if he wasn't in Dayton.
    Last edited by M2; 05-03-2018 at 05:15 PM.

That’s not what you said. The point is regardless of which level they were overmatched, the fact is that they all were indeed overmatched early in their careers and figured out a way to overcome it.

No, that is what I said. You took it in another direction. That's fine, but also irrelevant.

As for pumping the brakes, tell that to the Reds. There is no good reason for them to let Greene linger in Dayton if he does not improve over his next few starts.

No, that is what I said. You took it in another direction. That's fine, but also irrelevant.

As for pumping the brakes, tell that to the Reds. There is no good reason for them to let Greene linger in Dayton if he does not improve over his next few starts.
    “I disagree. I think when someone with the requisite physical talent realizes that he's overmatched, he's likely to figure out what it is he needs to do to stop being overmatched.”

“Provide me examples of that working with a pitcher in baseball”

Nothing about level of ball. Nothing about only in the minor leagues.

The level is what’s irrelevant. Guys struggle. Get “overmatched” Even talented guys. Many overcome it and become successful.

This. A thousand times. This.

10. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-03-2018),ochoa30 (05-03-2018)

“I disagree. I think when someone with the requisite physical talent realizes that he's overmatched, he's likely to figure out what it is he needs to do to stop being overmatched.”

“Provide me examples of that working with a pitcher in baseball”

Nothing about level of ball. Nothing about only in the minor leagues.

The level is what’s irrelevant. Guys struggle. Get “overmatched” Even talented guys. Many overcome it and become successful.
    Ignore the context of the conversation all you want. Your examples were and remain irrelevant. Would you care to cite examples relevant to a prospect like Hunter Greene?

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    This. A thousand times. This.
    Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Serious question, is there any amount of innings which would actually cause you to question whether the Reds made a poor decision?
    I'm sure there is. It's not under 10.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So what's your number?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I’ll point out again the reason Hunter is under 10 innings pitched right now is because of how bad he has been. It took him 55 pitches to go 1.2 today.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

M2 (05-03-2018),REDREAD (05-04-2018)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’ll point out again the reason Hunter is under 10 innings pitched right now is because of how bad he has been. It took him 55 pitches to go 1.2 today.
    Great. If he had gone 3 innings he's still be at like 11 innings this year.

- - - Updated - - -

So what's your number?
    At least another month of pitching without any sort of improvements show.

There is not one single number, no. But it's waaaaaaay more than 8. I wouldn't even be too concerned if he had a bad full first year.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It's not the number of innings but rather whether Greene shows marked improvement or not over the next couple months. Worst case is he goes to Billings when their season opens.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Vander (05-03-2018)

Turn Off Ads?