Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RP Ben Lively

RP Ben Lively

I was very disappointed when the Reds traded RP Ben Lively to the Phillies for OF M. Byrd.
    Good luck to him

Phillies RHP prospect Ben Lively spun six scoreless innings Tuesday in a win for Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
    The only hit he allowed came on a third-inning single by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre first baseman Cito Culver. Lively has enjoyed a dominant stretch with five wins and a 2.31 ERA over his last six starts. With all the injuries the Phillies have had to their starting rotation, it's surprising Lively hasn't received a big league call-up yet. That could change when rosters expand next month.
    Source: MILB.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Team Dilson baby

Re: RP Ben Lively

I'm on mobile and read the title as RIP Ben Lively. Reading the thread turned out to be a real relief

I read it as being moved to relief pitcher.

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-25-2016),Edd Roush (08-25-2016),marcshoe (06-03-2017)

Ben getting the start in Philly today. His numbers have been pretty darned impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Ben getting the start in Philly today. His numbers have been pretty darned impressive.
    Traded for Marlon Byrd in what now appears to be a last desperate attempt to extend the window. In those days RZ was consumed with getting a LF'er much as starting pitching is the obsession now. Sickels always liked Lively. Looks like he was right.

It was a successful debut for Lively against Cueto and the Giants but one that doesn't make his future any clearer. 7 shutout innings is certainly impressive...except he didn't record a single strikeout, which has been the knock on him as he moved up the ladder and why he profiles best as a swingman/reliever. If he's gonna stick as a starter he'll need an actual putaway pitch.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

AT best, Lively would be the Reds 9th best pitching prospect today. I'm not sweating him being a Phillies player right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    AT best, Lively would be the Reds 9th best pitching prospect today. I'm not sweating him being a Phillies player right now.
    This is ridiculous.

I was upset when they traded him for Marlon freaking Byrd and still am.

I saw this thread pop up today and immediately got sad panda.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Traded for Marlon Byrd in what now appears to be a last desperate attempt to extend the window. In those days RZ was consumed with getting a LF'er much as starting pitching is the obsession now. Sickels always liked Lively. Looks like he was right.
    I was very upset when they made that trade and got ripped hard. Such an awful trade. Marlon Byrd. Ughhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is ridiculous.

Is it ridiculous? Based on what?

He's not better than Amir Garrett (still eligible for a few more days), Sal Romano, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Vladimir Gutierrez or Tony Santillan as starters. That alone makes him 7th. Is he better than Jimmy Herget? Rookie Davis? Ariel Hernandez? Zack Weiss? Tanner Rainey? Wennington Romero? Jose Lopez? I'd be very surprised if the Reds would trade Nick Hanson for him, even as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

And none of that counts Cody Reed or Robert Stephenson, who absolutely are better future prospects, even if they aren't eligible for prospect lists at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is ridiculous.

What makes it ridiculous? Lively has consistently been considered a fringe prospect.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Is it ridiculous? Based on what?

He's not better than Amir Garrett (still eligible for a few more days), Sal Romano, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Vladimir Gutierrez or Tony Santillan as starters. That alone makes him 7th. Is he better than Jimmy Herget? Rookie Davis? Ariel Hernandez? Zack Weiss? Tanner Rainey? Wennington Romero? Jose Lopez? I'd be very surprised if the Reds would trade Nick Hanson for him, even as he recovers from Tommy John surgery.

And none of that counts Cody Reed or Robert Stephenson, who absolutely are better future prospects, even if they aren't eligible for prospect lists at this point.
    If the Phils offered Lively for Reed or Stephenson and the Reds said no I would be even more sad panda.

Garrett - TBD - Garrett has the worst spin rate in baseball (I learned it from you)! Not exactly setting the world on fire this year

Romano - hard to say

Castillo - Castillo is a better prospect

Mahle - seems like Lively Jr to me

Vlad - Vlad is a better prospect

Santillan - very far away, Lively all day, er day

Hergert - Lively is better

Rookie Davis - lol

Ariel Hernandez - this dude has a ton to prove, Lively

Zach Weiss - isn't this guy a reliever?

Tanner Rainey - Lively

Romero - Lively

Lopez - Lively

Nick Hanson - come on, you can't believe what you said about this. The reds are desperate for MLB starting pitching. Chances are Hanson doesn't even get to AAA.

Reed - Lively

Stephenson - this guy is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What makes it ridiculous? Lively has consistently been considered a fringe prospect.
    Lively has a career 2.99 ERA and 100 less hits than innnings pitched (562.2)

The fact this kid is considered a fringe prospect says more about the issues with prospect experts than Ben Lively.

It's to be determined that Amir Garrett, who entered the year as a Top 75 prospect in baseball, is a better prospect than Ben Lively, who entered the year as the Phillies 18th ranked prospect (and 7th pitching prospect)?

I'll just not respond to any of the other craziness you responded with.

17. Likes:

OGB (06-07-2017)

It's to be determined that Amir Garrett, who entered the year as a Top 75 prospect in baseball, is a better prospect than Ben Lively, who entered the year as the Phillies 18th ranked prospect (and 7th pitching prospect)?

I'll just not respond to any of the other craziness you responded with.
    Yay lists.

Garrett came into the year top 75 prospect, he then showed the worst spin rate in baseball (I am serious when I say you kinda ruined Garrett in my eyes with that spin rate fact haha) and has been getting hit really hard.

No need to respond, Lively doesn't care about your lists, all he does is PRODUCE. And that is what really matters. His stats have been rock solid since the day he became a pro. Again, 2.99 career ERA. He doesn't give up hits. 2 seasons in AAA he has a 0.937 WHIP - that's insane. Guess what Stephenson's WHIP is in 2 seasons of AAA? Nah, don't guess - I'll tell you - 1.373.

Turn Off Ads?