Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

Re: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

I just appreciate that the Reds are finally exploiting market inefficiencies. Rolling out the red carpet for anyone named Jose, for instance.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Likes:

membengal (03-29-2019),redsmetz (03-29-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Quantity over quality seemed to be the mantra of the Reds during the rebuild. It is as if they didn't trust their evaluations and wanted the largest package of prospects they could land rather than the package with the best prospect. It's pretty much akin to their practice of throwing their own prospects against the wall at the major league level to see who might stick because they weren't sure who was ready.

I sure hope those days are long gone.
    I’ve always cringed at deals with nebulous principals (not just the Reds) because you can pretty much guarantee the team not getting a single stand-out principal is going to lose the deal. It’s just the nature of talent. People get blurred vision about it and start to believe there’s more talent in the world than there is.

5. Likes:

Benihana (03-30-2019),M2 (03-29-2019),Mitri (03-30-2019),Plus Plus (03-30-2019)

What’s done is done and move on and all that.

But I still think the Reds messed up Finnegan by riding him so hard in 2016.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

757690 (03-30-2019),Hoosier Red (04-01-2019),mth123 (03-30-2019),Revering4Blue (03-30-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    C'mon now...At the time of a trade like this we're told "you can't judge the trade now. Wait a few yrs and then we'll see."

Now we've waited a few years and we're told "Who cares? Welcome to pro baseball."

At some point we ought to be allowed to judge a trade.
    I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. I judge trades in the moment. You make that trade every time. The reds had 2 months of Cueto. They needed young pitching. They got 3 young pitchers, 2 of which were thought very highly of at the time. They didn’t pan out. Welcome to pro baseball.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Frank Robinson (03-31-2019),Old school 1983 (03-30-2019),redsmetz (04-01-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. I judge trades in the moment. You make that trade every time. The reds had 2 months of Cueto. They needed young pitching. They got 3 young pitchers, 2 of which were thought very highly of at the time. They didn’t pan out. Welcome to pro baseball.
    My take is of course you can judge trades in the moment, but you have to wait to see if you were wrong or not. In this trade, there were times (roughly a year after the deal iirc) were it looked like this might shape up to be a huge steal for the Reds. Finnegan looked like he was ready to either join the rotation or handle the closer role. Reed quickly became one of the best starting LHP prospects in all of baseball. That's potentially 2 dirt cheap presumably legit LH starters. I even liked a lot of what we saw from Lamb. Unfortunately Finnegan and Lamb have seemingly been constantly injured since then and Reed hasn't been able to harness his stuff yet (although I haven't given up hope.)

And of course on the other hand, Cueto has had his own share of injuries and basically had 1 good season among the 3 and 1/3 (roughly) seasons since we traded him. Not to mention the fact that he made over $60M during that time and at age 33 now has at least another $70M coming his way (if you want to assume the Reds were able to sign him).
    Last edited by Redeyecat; 03-30-2019 at 05:26 PM.

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-30-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Sticky Finnegan just couldn't stick with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    Sticky Finnegan just couldn't stick with the Reds.
    I don't think he's gone yet. He didn't get claimed, did he?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-31-2019)

Jeffrey Flanagan

@FlannyMLB

Per sources, the Royals have discussed the Brandon Finnegan and Dan Straily situations, but it's not likely anything will go further than that. They are at 39 on the 40-man roster and that final spot likely goes to Homer Bailey.
    Any other former-Reds that the Royals should be looking at? Brandon Phillips? Scott Feldman? Cliff Pennington?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Any other former-Reds that the Royals should be looking at? Brandon Phillips? Scott Feldman? Cliff Pennington?
    Honestly Mesoraco.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-01-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Both the Royals and O’s have no excuse to not be picking up Straily at the very least.

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (04-01-2019)

I thought Homer had "made" the Royals team. Is that still up in the air?

for whatever reason, they're being coy about him being the 5th starter.

https://www.mlb.com/news/homer-baile...ll-from-royals

It was either Homer or it was his clone: https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/home...ll-from-royals
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It was either Homer or it was his clone: https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/home...ll-from-royals

24. Likes:

757690 (04-01-2019)

So this from the Athletic was premature:

https://theathletic.com/877812/2019/...-for-rotation/

Homer must have been underwhelming this Spring

Turn Off Ads?