Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

Re: Reds Interested in Ozuna Per Heyman

If I am the Reds, I want EVERY rumor to connect them to a FA signing. Driving the price up on everyone.

Then I want them to swoop in and sign MadBum. I roll with Galvis at SS for his defense and power. yeah, he's OBP challenged but that's the only hole in his game.

Betts seems hell bent on FA. So trading for him is a non-starter. If the Reds could get a window to sign him to a LTC, sure.

If the Reds get Grandal, and that's all they do, then this off season isn't a failure. Just not a raving success. If they get Ozuna, they'll have buyer's remorse a lot sooner than later.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    From what Dick Williams says in this article I doubt he has any interest in Ozuna.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...on/2583140001/
    This makes me happy. I'm on the side of the Reds getting more mileage out of a well-rounded team than with a fantasy lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Can understand why Corey Dickerson isn’t the right target both in dollars and no QO.
    I'd much rather see them get Dickerson for a reasonable, short-term deal than drop major coin on the Beer League skills of Ozuna or Castellanos.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Mitri (11-14-2019),Old school 1983 (11-14-2019),Ron Madden (11-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If I am the Reds, I want EVERY rumor to connect them to a FA signing. Driving the price up on everyone.

Then I want them to swoop in and sign MadBum. I roll with Galvis at SS for his defense and power. yeah, he's OBP challenged but that's the only hole in his game.

Betts seems hell bent on FA. So trading for him is a non-starter. If the Reds could get a window to sign him to a LTC, sure.

If the Reds get Grandal, and that's all they do, then this off season isn't a failure. Just not a raving success. If they get Ozuna, they'll have buyer's remorse a lot sooner than later.
    MadBum gave up 30 HR in in 207.2 IP last season. If you adjust his stats for the GAB, he'd have had a 4.65 ERA. He had the worst GB/FB ratio in the NL last season. He looks very Eric Milton to me.
    Last edited by M2; 11-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (11-14-2019),Old school 1983 (11-14-2019),wally post (11-15-2019)

Yeah I don't get the love for Bumgarner here. He was one of the best pitchers on the planet, but it isn't 2015 anymore. I'd rather have Cole Hamels if I were targeting a pricey LHP for 2020.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-15-2019),marcshoe (11-14-2019),Red Raindog (11-15-2019),Wonderful Monds (11-14-2019)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah I don't get the love for Bumgarner here. He was one of the best pitchers on the planet, but it isn't 2015 anymore. I'd rather have Cole Hamels if I were targeting a pricey LHP for 2020.
    I just don’t understand why some people want to focus almost exclusively on the rotation when it should already probably be the best one in the division, bare minimum, when the offense was one of the worst in the league last season. Doesn’t make sense to me at all.

10. Likes:

bm1475 (11-16-2019),InsaneinthBrame (11-14-2019),Tom Servo (11-14-2019),UKWhoDey (11-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    +1 on Hamels. MLB network was talking about him the other day and what a great sign he’d be. I’d sign him and parlay Bauer for a bat.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd much rather see them get Dickerson for a reasonable, short-term deal than drop major coin on the Beer League skills of Ozuna or Castellanos.
    Ozuna is miles better defensively and as a baserunner than Dickerson and Castellanos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Ozuna is miles better defensively and as a baserunner than Dickerson and Castellanos.
    Dickerson won a Gold Glove in 2018. I was being harsh on Ozuna, but I do worry that he's aging rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    MadBum gave up 30 HR in in 207.2 IP last season. If you adjust his stats for the GAB, he'd have had a 4.65 ERA. He had the worst GB/FB ratio in the NL last season. He looks very Eric Milton to me.
    You must need your eyes checked. Bumgarner in no way looks like Milton.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 11-15-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    You must need your eyes checked. Bumgarner in no way looks like Milton.
    Is there a lens setting that would make MadBum not look like an extreme flyball pitcher with a high HR rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I just don’t understand why some people want to focus almost exclusively on the rotation when it should already probably be the best one in the division, bare minimum, when the offense was one of the worst in the league last season. Doesn’t make sense to me at all.
    I think some people realize that the Reds have no depth in AAA for injuries/spot starts and there is isn't much of a gap between the 2020 2021 payroll at the moment (around 13M). When you figure in arb salaries and raises even with other monies coming off the books that doesn't leave a lot to fill in for 2 starting pitching spots if the Reds sign a few multiyear deals for bats.

I agree with that, but Bumgarner has twice the career WAR as Milton and three championships. Fly ball pitcher yes, Milton not even close.

I did a few back of the envelope computations concerning a Winker/Ervin split in LF. If Winker played only against RHP and Ervin against LHP, then I would divide PA's between them at roughly 420/180. Based on their 2019 splits, they would hit a combined 27+ HR's with a .932 OPS. Ozuna's 2020 projection is 26/.815 (537 PA's). Ozuna is older and far more expensive. Castellanos's projection for 2020 is 24/.846. Neither profiles as well as a Winker/Ervin platoon. Add to that the fact that the non-starter in the platoon is available to pinch hit if the opposition changes pitcher handedness. OK, it is two roster spots instead of one if both Winker/Ervin are traded. Maybe that is what they were exploring.

The Reds need LH power bats. Stop the insanity. Forget Ozuna and Castellanos and concentrate on other needs.

19. Likes:

M2 (11-16-2019),mth123 (11-16-2019),Old school 1983 (11-16-2019),Ron Madden (11-16-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post

The Reds need LH power bats. Stop the insanity. Forget Ozuna and Castellanos and concentrate on other needs.
    The need of LH power bat is a fallacy IMO. Give me right handed power all day. Right handers hit right handed pitching better than lefty's do against leftys. Right handers grow up facing more rightys than leftys do facing leftys and don't get pigeon-holed into role players as much. There's a reason that reds teams with Perez, Foster/May, Bench and Davis, Sabo did better than the Griffey, Dunn or Votto Bruce eras. Just look at the best home run hitters and I think you'll see that the right handers don't hit that much higher percentage home runs against leftys.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    The need of LH power bat is a fallacy IMO. Give me right handed power all day. Right handers hit right handed pitching better than lefty's do against leftys. Right handers grow up facing more rightys than leftys do facing leftys and don't get pigeon-holed into role players as much. There's a reason that reds teams with Perez, Foster/May, Bench and Davis, Sabo did better than the Griffey, Dunn or Votto Bruce eras. Just look at the best home run hitters and I think you'll see that the right handers don't hit that much higher percentage home runs against leftys.
    Wow, do I disagree.

First off, a good lineup has balance. Second, Morgan, Griffey, Rose and Geronimo all brought LH/SH bats to the BRM (with Driessen off the bench). O'Neill, Morris and a bench full of LH bats were critical elements of the 1990 Reds. Third, BA and OB are where the Reds were weakest on offense. Shopping for RH pop misses the point, and 149 of their 227 HR (65.6%) came from RHBs last season.

22. Likes:

mth123 (11-16-2019)

Turn Off Ads?