11 37.93%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

Re: 2019/2020 Prospect Poll, #1

Lodolo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guys, I apologize for overlooking Lodolo and offered to count his votes
    manually (even if someone says "I voted for India but wanted Lodolo").
    Since this is not acceptable, I think someone else needs to reboot this.
    I think if someone else started the thread, there'd probably be better participation too. No hard feelings, I just think that myself being associated with this is
    doing more harm that good.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I voted Greene but want my vote added to Lodolo

Lodolo

I voted Greene, but would like my vote to be counted for Greene.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Lodolo

I have no idea where we are with this, but Lodolo so far has a K/BB of infinity (30 Ks, 0 BB in 18.1 IP).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Lodolo would be my pick as well, though Ty Steve is hot on his heels.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have no idea where we are with this, but Lodolo so far has a K/BB of infinity (30 Ks, 0 BB in 18.1 IP).
    The key part of that statistic may not be the K rate or the BB rate or the ratio between them, but the innings pitched.

That said, Lodolo's emergence is vital. He's done absolutely nothing to disabuse those who loved him in the draft run-up.

I see nothing wrong in insisting he's the top guy. (Nor Greene, nor India, nor Garcia.)

They're all bunched at the top-- each with upside and questions.

It might be better (he said, tongue only half in cheek) to begin the list at number six and just let the first five stand.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (11-17-2019)

I think the key thing to note about Lodolo was that it was 18 innings at the end of a season where the best players in those leagues had already been promoted. He looks good and I'm optimistic, but it's not enough to make him number 1 for me. All these prospects have warts related to small samples, injuries or bad seasons, so I'm taking the simple method. If the warts cancel out and they all end-up being all they can be, who would be the top guy? IMO, that's Greene by huge margin, so he gets my vote.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

REDREAD (11-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think the key thing to note about Lodolo was that it was 18 innings at the end of a season where the best players in those leagues had already been promoted. He looks good and I'm optimistic, but it's not enough to make him number 1 for me. All these prospects have warts related to small samples, injuries or bad seasons, so I'm taking the simple method. If the warts cancel out and they all end-up being all they can be, who would be the top guy? IMO, that's Greene by huge margin, so he gets my vote.
    What warts does Tyler Stephenson have?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    What warts does Tyler Stephenson have?
    His best tool is probably power and he only hit 6 HR. His career high is 11. Again, I'm hopeful for him, but he doesn't grab ne as a number 1 prospect.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Greene's also got the biggest chance of the top guys of never seeing the majors. We're still pretending he's the next Dwight Gooden when he's already not the next Dwight Gooden. Honestly I don't think anyone knows what he's going to be. He's got to recover from his surgery and then learn how to pitch (and build up his innings load from just about zero). I know the exercise here is to rate everyone, but the main thing we know about Greene is we have no idea what or where he's going to be in a year or two. I'm putting Greene off to the side until he's back on the mound and we see what we've got. I still have high hopes for him. Perfectly willing to slot him in at #1 in the future. Just not getting my vote for any slot this year.

17. Likes:

HokieRed (11-17-2019),REDREAD (11-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Greene's also got the biggest chance of the top guys of never seeing the majors. We're still pretending he's the next Dwight Gooden when he's already not the next Dwight Gooden. Honestly I don't think anyone knows what he's going to be. He's got to recover from his surgery and then learn how to pitch (and build up his innings load from just about zero). I know the exercise here is to rate everyone, but the main thing we know about Greene is we have no idea what or where he's going to be in a year or two. I'm putting Greene off to the side until he's back on the mound and we see what we've got. I still have high hopes for him. Perfectly willing to slot him in at #1 in the future. Just not getting my vote for any slot this year.
    You'll have to show me where anyone has mentioned he and Dwight Gooden in the same sentence since his injury.

TJ surgery is a long process, but it's hardly the death knell it was just a few years ago.

Were he not injured, Greene would be a top 25 or better prospect. He's now somewhere around 70.

That takes his injury into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You'll have to show me where anyone has mentioned he and Dwight Gooden in the same sentence since his injury.

TJ surgery is a long process, but it's hardly the death knell it was just a few years ago.

Were he not injured, Greene would be a top 25 or better prospect. He's now somewhere around 70.

That takes his injury into account.
    The Gooden comps were rolling thick before the injury, even though it was a bad comp. I mention it because I don't think anyone's ever had a good handle on his ceiling.

And, IMO, the most reasonable way to take his injury into account isn't to downgrade him, it's to set him to the side. Maybe he's even better when he comes back. I don't know, and that's my point. None of us know. I'm not saying he'll be a bust. I'm just keeping him in reserve.
    Last edited by M2; 11-17-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Turn Off Ads?