Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The fate of Jose Peraza

Re: The fate of Jose Peraza

We're not going to miss Peraza. They're a dime a dozen in the market. And if nothing else, fill, strengthen your bench with a prospect trying to break through. In this age of analytics, a team needs to continually, and aggressively, try to improve on weak links on their bench. Never settle.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Chip R (12-03-2019),JohnnyRed (12-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We're not going to miss Peraza. They're a dime a dozen in the market. And if nothing else, fill, strengthen your bench with a prospect trying to break through. In this age of analytics, a team needs to continually, and aggressively, try to improve on weak links on their bench. Never settle.
    Unless a contender of ours signs him and he hits .380 all season and kills our pitching.. Even worse...we go to the WS and Peraza is on the opposing team and still does what my long, lingering fears tells me he'll do.. But then again I could always find fault with hitting the lotto and landing the most beautiful GF in the world who happens to absolutely adores me.. There's always gotta be a catch ya know..

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    We didn't with Peraza. Blandino is a better defender. The hope here is that Galvis ends up being the back-up.
    I think Galvis’ market is healthy enough that the Reds could ship him off if they upgrade SS. NYY are interested if they can’t bring Didi back.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I think he might be the starter.
    My reasoning on that is Peraza was not worth 3.6 as a back makes me think that the money they paid to Gavis is not to be a bench player could be wrong but that is what I am thinking
    At this point, I’m expecting Galvis to start. But, I’m really holding out hope they trade for a stud SS.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    Unless a contender of ours signs him and he hits .380 all season and kills our pitching.. Even worse...we go to the WS and Peraza is on the opposing team and still does what my long, lingering fears tells me he'll do.. But then again I could always find fault with hitting the lotto and landing the most beautiful GF in the world who happens to absolutely adores me.. There's always gotta be a catch ya know..
    Sure is a lot of "IFs" in there (LOL). The guy has had enough of a window in this organization to show he's more of a weak link then a strength. We can do better. Even at utility IMO.

If a change of scenery helps him, then more power to him. All I know he hasn't shown it here.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

Chip R (12-04-2019),Revering4Blue (12-07-2019)

I still think that most of Peraza's fall from grace in 2019, was psychological, due to the way he was "Wally Pipped" out of the starting SS job at the end of spring training.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

11. Likes:

goldglover9 (12-07-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

I'll say this, if signing Moustakas costs the Reds DiDi, that's all kinds of dumb. Galvis is likely the starting SS as of today.

Peraza was a victim of bad luck, bad timing and probably in 2019, bad coaching. A perfect storm of suck.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

13. Likes:

InsaneinthBrame (12-07-2019),REDREAD (12-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I still think that most of Peraza's fall from grace in 2019, was psychological, due to the way he was "Wally Pipped" out of the starting SS job at the end of spring training.
    And that's highly possible. But it wouldn't be the first time it has ever occurred, and if a young ballplayer trying to break through allows that, doesn't rise up that challenge, then it's better to be found out sooner then later.

15. Likes:

Tommyjohn25 (12-06-2019),WrongVerb (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And that's highly possible. But it wouldn't be the first time it has ever occurred, and if a young ballplayer trying to break through allows that, doesn't rise up that challenge, then it's better to be found out sooner then later.
    You may be right, but when faced with the strong likelihood that Freddy Galvis will be the starting SS in 2019, I sort of feel like Peraza deserved another change to "rise to the challenge," based on his solid 2018 numbers and his 2019 BABIP of .268. Seems to me that it could be argued that he had a bit of bad luck. Maybe it was bad coaching ... they changed hitting instructors. Why not give the new guy an opportunity to work with Peraza?

Look, I'm not saying that Peraza was the answer to the Reds' SS position. Far from it. If they see a clear upgrade, they should make it. But Freddy Galvis? I would have taken the risk and given Peraza the benefit of the doubt that his 2019 was just a fluke and that he would bounce back this year.

It's not so much that I am all gung-ho on Jose Peraza as much as it is that I am just uninspired by Freddy Galvis.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

17. Likes:

GAC (12-06-2019),goldglover9 (12-07-2019),texasdave (12-05-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    You may be right, but when faced with the strong likelihood that Freddy Galvis will be the starting SS in 2019, I sort of feel like Peraza deserved another change to "rise to the challenge," based on his solid 2018 numbers and his 2019 BABIP of .268. Seems to me that it could be argued that he had a bit of bad luck. Maybe it was bad coaching ... they changed hitting instructors. Why not give the new guy an opportunity to work with Peraza?

Look, I'm not saying that Peraza was the answer to the Reds' SS position. Far from it. If they see a clear upgrade, they should make it. But Freddy Galvis? I would have taken the risk and given Peraza the benefit of the doubt that his 2019 was just a fluke and that he would bounce back this year.

It's not so much that I am all gung-ho on Jose Peraza as much as it is that I am just uninspired by Freddy Galvis.
    I'm not at all gung-ho on Galvis. How can anyone be excited about a guy with a career line (age 30) of ... .248 .291 .384 .675?

Something Bell said at the tail end of the season has kind of stuck with me. In an interview, concerning this team's struggles to plate guys, he threw out that they need to get better at "making things happen on the base paths". I have no idea what he infers by that, nor what his approach/philosophy is to address it. I think it was touched on somewhat on the Launch Angle thread. But the impression I got was that while Bell is obviously open to LA, he seems to emphasize making hard contact.

Some of the more knowledgeable analytics guys will have to help me here. But are Galvis and Moose players who not only make a lot of contact, but hard contact? Is that tracked/show-able? When I look at recent acquisitions such as Galvis and Moose, I'm trying to ask myself what are they seeing in these players as far as offensive production (other then WAR)? Simple (IMO). Home Runs. Moose has a lot of pop, while Galvis some. But that's coming from my simply mind (approach), so there has to be more to it then that (LOL).

It's not that I'm saying the Reds are ignoring OB% as much as emphasizing other "variables" more (maybe). Or is their objective to simply lead MLB in Hrs because that's where the game is at from an offensive perspective. That's why LA is hot right now.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-06-2019 at 09:53 AM.

19. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-06-2019)

Assuming that exit velocity = “hitting the ball hard,” there should be some StatCast data floating around somewhere. I will see what I can shake up on Moose and Galvis.

21. Likes:

Chip R (12-06-2019),GAC (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'll say this, if signing Moustakas costs the Reds DiDi, that's all kinds of dumb. Galvis is likely the starting SS as of today.

Peraza was a victim of bad luck, bad timing and probably in 2019, bad coaching. A perfect storm of suck.
    Respectfully Peraza (who I was a fan of) is no victim. He didn't perform.

23. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (12-06-2019),Bob Sheed (12-07-2019),Chip R (12-06-2019),HammerTime (12-06-2019),M2 (12-07-2019),Revering4Blue (12-06-2019),RiverRat13 (12-06-2019),Tom Servo (12-06-2019),Wonderful Monds (12-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Respectfully Peraza (who I was a fan of) is no victim. He didn't perform.
    Agreed. If the talent were there it would have broke through and showed itself at some point.

If the Reds will just sign DiDi, I will shake Peraza’s hand and wish him well, and my concerns over Freddy Galvis becomes a moot point.

I wish Peraza well. The last few years I have been going to spring training and Peraza was always taking extra infield practice. He was out there early everyday working on his craft. Those are the kind of guys I root for.

27. Likes:

MikeS21 (12-07-2019),REDREAD (12-12-2019)

Turn Off Ads?