Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Interested in Seager

Re: Reds Interested in Seager

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    This is probably the whole crux. Eventually, the Reds will need positive contribution from young players since they really can't afford to pay already established big leaguers at at every position.
    Which is one of my main reasons for wanting to keep Senzel at all costs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Justin Turner is 35 and a free agent after this season.
    Jeter Downs is the Dodgers #5 prospect, and will be at AAA this year.

Or they can just keep Seager, move him to 3B and Lux at SS. Losing Turner at the end of this year is not the reason to trade a Corey Seager. It's the reason to trade Turner.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Jeter Downs is the Dodgers #5 prospect, and will be at AAA this year.

Or they can just keep Seager, move him to 3B and Lux at SS. Losing Turner at the end of this year is not the reason to trade a Corey Seager. It's the reason to trade Turner.
    Downs is not remotely the prospect Senzel is.

I’m just saying, you said they have nowhere to play Senzel, they do, third base starting either in 2020 or 2021.

I would not trade Senzel for Seager personally.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Downs is not remotely the prospect Senzel is.

I’m just saying, you said they have nowhere to play Senzel, they do, third base starting either in 2020 or 2021.

I would not trade Senzel for Seager personally.
    Why would the Dodgers do this? Senzel isn't the prospect Lux is. Seager at 3B, Lux at SS in 2021. Or they could just buy Josh Donaldson right now and give up nothing. Chris Taylor can play 3B as a transition if they need him to or he can be the full time guy starting next year.

My point is the Dodgers don't have a positional need for Senzel the way CLE does. Now if you were talking Iglesias, Garrett or Lorenzen for Seager, that I can see. They need pen help, or rather more certainty in the pen.
    Last edited by TRF; 01-10-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

6. Likes:

GAC (01-13-2020)

Why aren’t the Reds going after a catcher? I don’t see them improving at the SS position until at least July.

Quote Originally Posted by bifteckboy View Post
    Why aren’t the Reds going after a catcher? I don’t see them improving at the SS position until at least July.
    The Reds catchers ranked 13th in MLB last year in OPS. It's not the dire situation some make it out to be. Barnsali is a fine stop gap until Stephenson is ready, and that could be as early as late 2020 if everything goes right.

9. Likes:

bifteckboy (01-11-2020)

There aren't a lot of obvious upgrades out there. Reds catchers were, collectively, middle of the pack last year at 1.8 WAR. Meanwhile, there were just 10 catchers across MLB who produced 2+ WAR as individuals.

Who are you getting that's likely to upgrade the team at least a win? At what cost?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    There aren't a lot of obvious upgrades out there. Reds catchers were, collectively, middle of the pack last year at 1.8 WAR. Meanwhile, there were just 10 catchers across MLB who produced 2+ WAR as individuals.

Who are you getting that's likely to upgrade the team at least a win? At what cost?

Well nobody now..most of them have already gone on to sign with teams. But I wouldÂ’ve liked to see any of Chirinos, Maldonado, or dÂ’Arnaud signed a 1-2 year deal with the Reds (Slight upgrade to Barnhart/Casali while not blocking Tyler Stephenson for very long). Or even a minor league signing of Luke Maile, or Kevan Smith. I know thereÂ’s several catchers in the low levels of the farm, but not a lot of depth at the higher levels. Both would supply depth at the position. Smith can work a developing staff well, and Maile would provide Louisville some offense...while both could advise Stephenson in his final year of the minors.

Well nobody now..most of them have already gone on to sign with teams. But I wouldÂ’ve liked to see any of Chirinos, Maldonado, or dÂ’Arnaud signed a 1-2 year deal with the Reds (Slight upgrade to Barnhart/Casali while not blocking Tyler Stephenson for very long). Or even a minor league signing of Luke Maile, or Kevan Smith. I know thereÂ’s several catchers in the low levels of the farm, but not a lot of depth at the higher levels. Both would supply depth at the position. Smith can work a developing staff well, and Maile would provide Louisville some offense...while both could advise Stephenson in his final year of the minors.
    Fair enough. With those types, you arguably add a win upgrade for $6-8M, which is roughly the going rate. Probably largely a question of keeping their powder dry for the other upgrades they were pursuing.

As for Maile or Smith, those are the types of guys who are usually floating around a few weeks from now and end up getting that minor league deal with an invite to camp. And it seems like we just did that a few days ago signing Fransisco Peña. I don't know these well enough to differentiate Peña from the other replacement level types.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

bifteckboy (01-11-2020),Edd Roush (01-10-2020)

Is Chirino still on the market? If they signed him while including Barnhart in a package, the money might kinda/sorta offset.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Is Chirino still on the market? If they signed him while including Barnhart in a package, the money might kinda/sorta offset.
    No, he signed with Texas.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Forget whether the Reds would ever give him the chance...who here thinks Senzel could play a decent SS?

I was for it awhile back, now I'm not so sure. But I don't see his future as a CF.
    Last edited by malcontent; 01-10-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

White Sox just got Grandal who I feel the Reds let slip away again!! So McCann is pushed to the bench and I would like him over Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    White Sox just got Grandal who I feel the Reds let slip away again!! So McCann is pushed to the bench and I would like him over Barnhart
    I would even take Zach Collins

He still bangs

I would even take Zach Collins
    At this point I think I’d take a Tom Collins

Turn Off Ads?