Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

I can't wait for the day that we trade for Mookie.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

2. Likes:

757690 (12-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Andrew Friedman: "If you're always rational about every free agent, you will finish third on every free agent."

EXACTLY.

- - - Updated - - -

More time? Bruh. The reds have 4 winning seasons since 2000.

It’s time to stop giving this organization “more time.”

Not signing Didi is absolutely inexcusable.
    Bruh. It’s not March 28 it’s December 11. I’ll comment on the offseason when the offseason is over. I’ll leave it to you all to knee jerk reactions of pathetic, and apologist and what else. If they deserve criticism come the end of the offseason I’ll be first in line. It ain’t that time yet.

5. Likes:

Hubba (12-12-2019),Rdirtypirates (12-12-2019),RedlegJake (12-12-2019),Ron Madden (12-12-2019)

Less than 10 days ago it was Wheeler and the world, now it's the end the world.

I just don't get why we all need to be on suicide watch all of a sudden. Because Didi Gregorius, coming off a .718 OPS season, signed with Philadelphia and not us?

The world is still right there in front of the Reds. I have no idea if they're gonna do enough to grab it or not, but this new wave of nihilism seems pretty over the top.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

7. Likes:

RedEye (12-12-2019),Ron Madden (12-12-2019)

Is Galvis now locked in as Reds starting SS?

The Reds had interest in upgrading offensively at shortstop this winter, but the best-hitting shortstop on the free-agent market came off the board when Didi Gregorius agreed to a one-year, $14 million contract with the Phillies.

Unless there is a trade, all signs now point to Freddy Galvis being the regular shortstop. Galvis had his $5.5 million club option exercised shortly after the season.

"We'll be very open-minded, but we feel good enough about him that we exercised that option for a reason," Williams said of Galvis before the Gregorius news surfaced. "We've got him there. He's an everyday player at an important position. We feel like that provides us with a good floor. Then we can be opportunistic from there."

The outfield market has been slow to move thus far, and none of the bigger names out there have picked a destination -- including Nicholas Castellanos and Marcell Ozuna.

"We've talked to everybody," Reds general manager Nick Krall said. "We're just kind of working through whether it's the free-agent market or the trade market."
    https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/fr...ular-shortstop

9. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If not for an offhand Heyman tweet, who would know or care that they were talking to Roark before he signed with Toronto?
    Not sure why it matters how the Roark info was revealed.

But if Reds thought Roark could help them (more than Mahle), why did they lose him? He only got $2 million per year more than their own $10 million agreement with Roark for 2019.

It just sounds like they are fishing for below market deals. Maybe Heyman was wrong, I’ll give it more time, but some of this has a very familiar ring.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Fair. Maybe they will step up to the plate. Just some ominous signs IMO.

I don’t think the Reds are done in FA. Despite the crying, the only player I’m truly disappointed they missed on so far is Wheeler. There seem to be options out there that could put up more WAR than Grandal and Didi isnt a lock to return to form this year. For all of the griping about the connection to Calhoun, he put up more WAR than Ozuna last year and nearly as much as Castellanos. He’ll come cheaper too. Could bode well to fill other spots if he signs with the Reds. He’s not a sexy name, but he’s a solid starting player. There still many options left and trade market hasnt heated up yet either.

I just don't get why we all need to be on suicide watch all of a sudden. Because Didi Gregorius, coming off a .718 OPS season, signed with Philadelphia and not us?

The world is still right there in front of the Reds. I have no idea if they're gonna do enough to grab it or not, but this new wave of nihilism seems pretty over the top.
    I went into this offseason wanting Grandal, Didi, and bullpen help. The reds down 0-2 in the count right now in my book.

It’s just frustrating to watch unfold. Frustrating because it’s so predictable and I thought this year might be different because the reds were not just linked to those guys but we were told the reds were likely to sign them. Meanwhile you’ve got Dickie and the Krall running around the countryside telling anyone in the media who will listen this is the year they are going to spend, its time to go for it. It’s all looking like smoke being blown up our asses now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

14. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

The Reds have a history. This skepticism isn’t based on nothing. Never ignore history, it tends to repeat itself.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

But if Reds thought Roark could help them (more than Mahle), why did they lose him? He only got $2 million per year more than their own $10 million agreement with Roark for 2019..
    Because why keep bidding over what you value the player at for a #5 starter? Granted the market seems to be changing yet again, but just last year the Nats essentially handed us Roark because they didn't want to pay him $10 million.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-12-2019)

I want a Ferrari cake.

20. Likes:

757690 (12-12-2019),LoganBuck (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Meanwhile you’ve got Dickie and the Krall running around the countryside telling anyone in the media who will listen this is the year they are going to spend, its time to go for it. It’s all looking like smoke being blown up our asses now.
    Yeah, and I remember the thread last offseason saying that since nothing had happened since the Dodgers trade nothing more would happen. And then days later they traded for Sonny Gray.

I wanted Grandal. He chose Chicago. Didi, I was always ambivalent about, personally. On top of them, Wheeler I liked but didn't love, especially at the price he got. There absolutely, 100% needs to be more action. But for godssake, there's time. We can spend all of February and March bashing them for being cheap losers who overpromised and underdelivered if that's the case, I don't know why we need to try and get a jump on things.

But if Reds thought Roark could help them (more than Mahle), why did they lose him?
    Maybe they don't think Roark is $14M better than Mahle.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 12-12-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Because why keep bidding over what you value the player at for a #5 starter? Granted the market seems to be changing yet again, but just last year the Nats essentially handed us Roark because they didn't want to pay him $10 million.
    To me, bidding for Tanner Roark - and then losing him over a $2 million increase per year - is not the workings of a team going for the playoffs.

It’s more like typical Reds. Target a fifth starter type. Make a modest bid. Lose him.

Again, I hope Reds prove these concerns to be premature. But this all seems so familiar.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-12-2019 at 12:22 AM.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (12-12-2019)

What's Alex Wood's situation? I haven't seen any reports or rumors on him. If healthy, might be a chance worth taking. Granted last year was not good, what little he pitched. But, I recall many on here thought he was the key to the big deal with LA.

To me, bidding for Tanner Roark - and then losing him over a $2 million increase per year - is not the workings of a team going for the playoffs.

It’s more like typical Reds. Target a fifth starter type. Make a modest bid. Lose him.

Again, I hope Reds prove these concerns to be premature. But this all seems so familiar.
    Or maybe they weren’t going all out after him because he’s one option of many. If he signs at the Reds price then great, they go in that direction. If not, on to the next.

27. Likes:

Ron Madden (12-12-2019)

Turn Off Ads?