Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the 25 worst ever Hall-of-Fame selections

Re: Ranking the 25 worst ever Hall-of-Fame selections

Curt Schilling should be in the HOF

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought Lefty Gomez would be on the list. He scattered a few good seasons into a mediocre career and was rewarded for it thirty years later. I'm not going to go cliche and mention the team he played for, so I'll quit typing now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    I always felt if Sutter was in, then Dan Quisenberry should be in as well.
    Though valid, I always hate that argument (instead of agreeing that Sutter should not have been in. Every time someone undeserved goes in, it lowers the bar.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

RedsFanInMS (07-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Though valid, I always hate that argument (instead of agreeing that Sutter should not have been in. Every time someone undeserved goes in, it lowers the bar.
    I agree. Case in point Ross Youngs vs Curt Walker. Walker has a statistical dead heat in numbers but he played for the Reds while Youngs played for McGraw's Giants and he had a tragically young death. I don't think either is HoFer quality but using this old argument Walker deserves to be in if Youngs is in.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I agree. Case in point Ross Youngs vs Curt Walker. Walker has a statistical dead heat in numbers but he played for the Reds while Youngs played for McGraw's Giants and he had a tragically young death. I don't think either is HoFer quality but using this old argument Walker deserves to be in if Youngs is in.
    This guy is responsible for a lot of chafe in the HOF

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-15-2020)

Frisch campaigned for several Giants including the article's mentioned Freddie Lindstrom as well as Youngs and Travis Jackson
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He created havoc for the Cardinals, his contributions in their pennant winning years really were big, he played it out on some teams that didn't measure up and it looked like he was chasing numbers, perhaps he was. Vada Pinson had 305 steals, Brock was CAUGHT stealing 307 times
    Lou Brock was the star position player for the most dominant NL team during the Cards great 60s seasons. Look at the rest of the starting eight and you'll realize it. Just about every team had an Orlando Cepeda, Flood was good but didn't produce the runs that Brock did. McCarver was decent but he wasn't Johnny Bench. Javier, Maxwell, Shannon and Maris were all supporting players. I remember watching the 1968 World Series, first one I ever watched, and when the Tigers inning was over and Brock was due up, they would adnauseum say "And The Man will be due up next".

He was a shoe in for the HOF and there should be no argument whatsoever as to whether he belongs. PERIOD.

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-16-2020),mth123 (07-16-2020)

I had a pair of Lou Brock Converses when I was young. I was so slow he came to my house personally and demanded I burn them.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

M2 (07-15-2020),RichRed (07-16-2020)

Bill Mazeroski, a glorified JUlian Javier

This. Both the Baseball HOF and Pro Football HOF have become Hall's of Very Good instead of Hall of Fame's.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's a testament to just how good MLB catchers are when even Rickey Henderson was thrown out on 19% of his steal attempts (the year he stole 130 it was 24% of the time).
    Advanced stats would tell you that when he stole 130 bases and got throw out 24% of he time, he would have been pretty much better off staying on the base.

I agree, and honestly I'm not suggesting Quiz should be in, nor did I really think Sutter should have been.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

HOF is now irrelevant. It used to be fun to debate, but why bother now? Harold Baines is a HOFer and Pete Rose is not. So really, what's the point of it?

20. Likes:

mth123 (07-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Advanced stats would tell you that when he stole 130 bases and got throw out 24% of he time, he would have been pretty much better off staying on the base.
    The chart in this article says otherwise. His rate was 76%. Around 70% is the break even point.

https://batflipsandnerds.com/2018/11...e-stolen-base/
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    HOF is now irrelevant. It used to be fun to debate, but why bother now? Harold Baines is a HOFer and Pete Rose is not. So really, what's the point of it?
    If that's your take then Candy Cummings should have already broken your spirit, I guess the point is it's a museum that is meant to celebrate and stimulate one's mind. As for Pete, lots of his stuff is in there, he's just not

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?