https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/...000000000&pg=0

Reds pick 12, 48, 66, 86. Those correspondingly ranked players are:

12 Casey Martin SS 21.2 5' 11" 180 R R Arkansas
    48 Elijah Nunez CF 18.5 5' 9" 165 L L Martin HS TX
    66 Zach DeLoach CF 21.8 6' 2" 200 L R Texas A&M
    86 Ian Bedell RHP 20.8 6' 2" 198 R R Missouri
    Drafting CF's like they were 3B's?

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-26-2020),M2 (02-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Draft Class

Reds Legacy Alert

Bryce Jarvis, son of former Reds pitcher, Kevin Jarvis, has started the season with a 40/2 K to BB ratio in 27 innings (0.67). A few weeks ago he pitched a perfect game against Cornell. Jarvis added a tick of velocity after training at Driveline. I think he is moving himself solidly into Comp/2nd round consideration.

5. Likes:

Benihana (03-10-2020),M2 (03-09-2020),REDREAD (03-12-2020)

Wonder how badly COVID-19 will mess with the draft this year. Even in the best case scenario of just a few weeks of the MLB season being missed, you have to figure college and high school ball probably aren’t coming back. Draft evaluators only get about 1/4th or so of their usual scouting done, right? Maybe individual workouts become more important than ever.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I guess one approach could be to delay the draft until August if collegiate summer leagues can get going with perhaps an accommodation for HS seniors..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Wonder how badly COVID-19 will mess with the draft this year. Even in the best case scenario of just a few weeks of the MLB season being missed, you have to figure college and high school ball probably aren’t coming back. Draft evaluators only get about 1/4th or so of their usual scouting done, right? Maybe individual workouts become more important than ever.
    Smart teams might be able to parlay this into an advantage...

(I have no idea how, though.)

Another factor is with college seniors....ncaa just granted another years eligibility so seniors now have the option of repeating.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

10. Likes:

klw (03-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Another factor is with college seniors....ncaa just granted another years eligibility so seniors now have the option of repeating.
    IIRC, from following this forum in the past, not many seniors are top prospects, tho they do get drafted in lower rounds, but I suppose they could block a potential youngster from getting needed playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    IIRC, from following this forum in the past, not many seniors are top prospects, tho they do get drafted in lower rounds, but I suppose they could block a potential youngster from getting needed playing time.
    That will help their leverage and could impact signing bonuses throughout the draft.

Might also see talented (but blocked) teens go ahead and gamble on a professional career.

Might these mean more HS drafted?

I could see the argument.

How many Top players decide to go back to School rather than sign the new delayed bonus plan? Do teams lose slot money still if players drafted in the first Five Rounds refuse to sign?

14. Likes:

redsmetz (05-13-2020)

Keith Law had the Reds taking CJ Van Eyk, a RHP out of Florida State, in the first round in his mock draft this week. He says he'd be surprised if the Reds went with a HS player and anticipates them taking one of the many college right handers projected to go in the first.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Keith Law had the Reds taking CJ Van Eyk, a RHP out of Florida State, in the first round in his mock draft this week. He says he'd be surprised if the Reds went with a HS player and anticipates them taking one of the many college right handers projected to go in the first.
    Not too excited about that prediction. It does seem to me that a college pitcher is the likely pick. I lean toward tall college pitchers with plus FB's. They seem to me to have the highest upsides. Perhaps the Reds have now zeroed in on pitching development and can bring that upside to fruition. If rankings are to be believed this year, there are three that fit that description who could be available when the Reds pick, Garrett Crochet, Cade Cavalli, and Cole Wilcox.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I know 2020 was a small sample size for college baseball, but a 5.2 BB/9 is certainly not ideal. I thought that alone would have him fall out of consideration at 12, especially since he does not have a premium fastball.

I wonder if the Reds and/or other MLB teams will be drafting for signability this year given budget constraints.

Not much discussion of draft this year. Most of the mocks have mentioned that the Reds will take either a college arm or HS bat. The HS name that comes up the most is Austin Hendrick, corner OF power bat.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Not much discussion of draft this year. Most of the mocks have mentioned that the Reds will take either a college arm or HS bat. The HS name that comes up the most is Austin Hendrick, corner OF power bat.
    I'd be very interested in Austin Hendrick. High upside HS bat would be at the top of my wish list. It'd be nice if Zac Veen fell to us. I also wouldn't mind a good SS prospect, but there doesn't look like a lot of those around. Ed Howard intrigues me.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-21-2020),indy_dave00 (05-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I'd be very interested in Austin Hendrick. High upside HS bat would be at the top of my wish list. It'd be nice if Zac Veen fell to us. I also wouldn't mind a good SS prospect, but there doesn't look like a lot of those around. Ed Howard intrigues me.
    I'd add Arkansas OF/1B Heston Kjerstad, HS CF Pete Crow-Armstrong, and Minnesota RHP Max Meyer to your list, but that's a quality group.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 05-21-2020 at 11:59 AM.

22. Likes:

podgejeff_ (05-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?