Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important notice about changes to RedsZone.com - please read

Important notice about changes to RedsZone.com - please read

Members,

Back in 2000, RedsZone.com was created by fellow Cincinnati Reds' fans GIK and Boss-Hog in an effort to move away from the traditional sports forum of the day. Our goal was to create a message board that was not used to criticize a player or team (at least without any substance behind that opinion) and a board that added significant knowledge and value to the vast fan base. In short, we sought to bring together the most knowledgeable Reds fans to a family-friendly atmosphere in which people could voice their opinions about the team. With this in mind, we decided to create a new forum devoted to the Cincinnati Reds, which was the end result of a posting environment at Cincinnati.com that had next to no moderation. As a result, cursing, "trolling" and excessively bashing players/managers was the norm at the site. Our mission was to bring intelligent baseball discussion back and weed out the posts most felt compromised that goal; thus, RedsZone.

On April 17, 2000, RedsZone was founded. A core group of fans were asked to join and share their thoughts on the new message board, initially on the free ezboard.com system. Membership was small, but meaningful discussions began to flow. We had 36 members in our first two weeks. At the end of 2000 that number grew to 127.

Over the years RedsZone continued its growth. 2001 added 137 additional members, but in 2002 we more than doubled our user base with 428 more that joined the community. From 2003 until the end of last year nearly 900 new fans came on board and during the first four months of 2005 we have seen over 800 sign on. That figure alone is staggering. As of today, RedsZone is easily the most visited Cincinnati Reds message board on the internet, far surpassing even the one at the team’s official web site.

During this growth, we moved away from ezboard and onto private hosting, increasing our operational costs. Originally, we paid the monthly hosting bills out of our own pockets because we wanted RedsZone to be a free service and because the Reds and the site were two of our passions. As the site costs continued to grow, more and more members joined and donations started to come in, keeping us afloat, until a subscription system was enacted in the third-quarter of 2003. Since that time, over 150 members became subscribers to help pay for the increasing costs that literally thousands of members were generating.

We have now decided to reformat the primary baseball forum, The Old Red Guard, here at RedsZone. This includes cancelling the subscription system. Please allow us to explain.

The main forum, The Old Red Guard, named after one after a late user with the same nickname, will now only be open to posting for the original founding members of RedsZone - those who joined during our first year (2000), and to all who have, at some point, been subscribers to the site. All remaining members will be able to read the ORG forum, but not post. In a nutshell, this forum will only allow for posts from people that have been with us from the beginning and/or have helped financially support the site. In reviewing the list of posters that criteria includes, we are extremely confident that these posters are very familiar with the core values of what this site is about because most of them have been with us from the very beginning. We have no desire to write up additional rules that cover baseless player bashing and a general loss of posting quality from the current forum and we truthfully do not like to have to suspend users who are adding little value to the board with these types of posts. As a result, the main forum will serve as a model for the type of posts that this site built its reputation upon.

A new forum will in turn be created, dubbed Reds Live! Within this forum, a built-in vBulletin (the forum software the site uses) reputation system will be created. This allows for members with Old Red Guard posting access to rate a poster who does not have access to the main forum, based solely on the quality of their posts in the Reds Live! forum. Once a user's reputation ranking reaches 200 points, he or she will be free to post in the primary forum, if they wish. Additionally, a user must meet some basic minimum requirements: being a registered member for at least 30 days and at least 60 posts. A poster can lose ORG access if his or her reputation level drops below 100 points.

Reds Live! will follow the same rules that have been in effect at RedsZone since its inception (which appear at the bottom of every page). This forum is the place for users to show what they have to offer to the community, or coexist and share in a location where their voice is heard.

We fully understand that there will be plenty of backlash toward this drastic change in the way the site operates. We imagine most of the criticism will be along the lines of only allowing the people we like to post or that your freedom of speech is being suppressed (despite this being a privately run site). We anticipate this and welcome feedback and questions about this new change. If that is how you feel, we suggest visiting the Sons of Sam Horn site, a similar style message board for Boston Red Sox fans. Their site experienced similar problems to what we experienced and made the decision to not allow any new members without first submitting an application as to why they belong on the site. We could have just as easily done something like that, but we want to continue to give a voice to those who weren’t with us from the beginning or have not subscribed in the past. If you’re unhappy about this decision, the great part about it is that your peers will be the ones to rate the quality of your posts and this will be the deciding factor as to who can post in the main forum. However, one thing that we absolutely will not do is go back on this decision just because some are unhappy about it. The board currently has over 1,700 registered members, the vast majority of whom are active, and if there’s one thing we’ve learned from this, it’s that it’s impossible to please everyone. A lot of time and research went into this decision and it’s one that has the full support from both of us.

When someone registers as a member at RedsZone, they begin with a default reputation score of 10. These members are free to read any forum, but cannot yet post at The Old Red Guard. In order to do so, they must reach a reputation score of 200, in addition to being a registered member for at least 30 days and having a minimum of 60 posts. Only members who can post in The Old Red Guard can affect reputation.

Members are able to assign reputation values depending upon his or her reputation power. Reputation power is derived from multiple factors - not all members assign the same value. For each year a member has been registered as a member of this site, they receive 1 power point. For every 4000 posts a member has made, they receive 1 power point. For every 150 reputation points a member has accumulated, they receive 1 power point. A member may be ranked both positively and negatively. This will, in effect, allow the community to moderate itself. Negative reputation only detracts HALF of what a positive reputation remark adds to a user's score.

Users with the ability to give out reputation to other users are allotted two daily reputation clicks. This is purposely set low to encourage the user leaving reputation to put some degree of thought into whether or not a given post truly deserves positive or negative reputation. Finally, to prevent reputation inflation, a user with the ability to leave reputation must spread reputation to 15 unique users before he or she can leave reputation for the same user again.

The Old Red Guard and Reds Live! will follow the simple mission statement RedsZone had upon its creation: "Intelligent baseball discussion. Quality over quantity."

GIK and Boss-Hog
    RedsZone.com Co-Founders

2. Turn Off Ads?

Question about this board

I find it humorous on this board that you have to have a certain amount of reputation to post on the regular Reds board? What is this? 1st grade? I can't post until I become "cool" or have enough of a rep? I don't get it. This is the only site I've seen that has this policy. I understand the board can make up it's own policy, but what gives?

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Question about this board

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35437

It's a short, but informative read

Honestly, this just seems like the mods are being lazy.

I can understand the Red Sox or Yankees having a message board like this, but it's not like anyone in the league hates this lousy franchise and team enough to flame.

Getting 200 points isn't going to take THAT long, but it would be nice to argue with all of the people in love with Adam Dunn (I know, I know he's been argued over ad naseum), but it would be nice to get in on some of those discussions.

Worth The Wait

Getting 200 points isn't going to take THAT long,
    You're off to a GREAT start!

Definatley read the post HumnHilghtFreel linked to. That spells things out nicely.

You are able to post in Reds Live! right now. Trust me, post good posts that add something to the community and you will get rep very quickly and soon you'll be able to post in Old Red Guard also.

The boards have been split for about two years now and, while maybe not a perfect solution, has been a positive change for the site. The Reds may not be as popular as the Yankees or Red Sox, but this forum is one of the most active on the 'Net. We get plenty of traffic (enough to crash the site on occassion) and implementing the reputation system has been a benefit.

Also, I can assure you our moderators are not "lazy". The job is unpaid and (as we've seen from your post) thankless.

If you have ideas on how to improve the site, please feel free to post them or PM them to myself or Boss-Hog. If all you'd like to do is rant, there are plenty of other websites you may feel more comfortable at doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I find it humorous on this board that you have to have a certain amount of reputation to post on the regular Reds board? What is this? 1st grade? I can't post until I become "cool" or have enough of a rep? I don't get it. This is the only site I've seen that has this policy. I understand the board can make up it's own policy, but what gives?
    It was like first grade, which is why we do it this way now.
    We went about five years before the mods (who work very hard to make this a good site, by the way) decided (not lightly, I might add) to do the rep system (which is, in fact, used at many boards). If you don't like it no one's twisting your arm to stick around.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Getting 200 points isn't going to take THAT long, but it would be nice to argue with all of the people in love with Adam Dunn (I know, I know he's been argued over ad naseum), but it would be nice to get in on some of those discussions.
    What could you say that hasn't already been said?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Honestly, this just seems like the mods are being lazy.

I can understand the Red Sox or Yankees having a message board like this, but it's not like anyone in the league hates this lousy franchise and team enough to flame.

I'm pretty sure you might find a thread or fifty on Adam Dunn in the "Reds Live" portion of the board if you use the search feature. I am sure that everyone would be ecstatic if you brought 4 or 5 of those back to the top.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

ORG makes it easier to avoid junk like this.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Great thing about the internet, if you don't like this site, go start your own.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Great thing about the internet, if you don't like this site, go start your own.
    And if it becomes 1/10 as successful as redszone you can write how-to articles for everyone else who wants a website.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Personally, I was never in favor of two boards and I'm still not. I think you could make a valid argument that they actually generate more traffic because you often have the same topic discussed in two different places. (shrug)

Just garner enough rep (another thing that I'm not in favor of) and you too will get to talk directly with the 'cool' boys and girls, some of whom actually took time out of their busy schedule to talk with you here.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 02-14-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Just garner enoung rep (another thing that I'm not in favor of) and you too will get to talk directly with the 'cool' boys and girls, some of whom actually took time out of their busy schedule to talk with you here.
    Me, I'm too cool for this popsicle stand, daddy-o.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?