Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 9/7/09 - Reds vs. Rockies

Re: 9/7/09 - Reds vs. Rockies

Winnable game for the Reds today unfortunately they didn't get the big break they needed. Lets get back out there and take the next few games.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Funny how it came down to McDonald at the end. Oh well, it was a winnable game but like some have said (notice not me), bad decisions caused us to lose.

Let's start a new streak tomorrow.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It shouldn't have been this one though, it was completly winnable.
    Yep. It went downhill once Homer started getting squeezed. The pen failed to produce which has been a VERY rare thing this season. The defense was poor, another pretty rare thing lately. Some mental errors (votto picked off second napping) & some questionable managing (I'm not counting the Stubbs bunting thing...I think he did that on his own) with the double steal there.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Funny how it came down to McDonald at the end. Oh well, it was a winnable game but like some have said (notice not me), bad decisions caused us to lose.

Let's start a new streak tomorrow.
    McDonald o for 4 with 3 strikeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Game over. Favorite son K's for the 3rd time and Reds lose.
    At least his family got to see it, that's what matters.

Tough game today. No bounces went their way, many close plays w/ the glove that didn't turn into outs, and no help from the umpires.

Oh well, it was a good run, and once again a very impressive start from Homer.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    McDonald o for 4 with 3 strikeouts.
    I know Darnell stunk it up at the beginning of the season (and today for that matter), but he seems like an odd person to single out today. There were miscues up and down the roster. Since he got called up from Louisville in late August, McDonald has been hitting .333 (including today's oh-fer) 8 for 24. Wlad, who several people wanted to see in that spot, is hitting .264 (9 for 34) over that same timeframe. Sure, over the long haul, I prefer the upside of Balentien. But Darnell has played some very solid defense and, outside of today, he's been productive at the dish. Hard to really fault Dusty on letting Darnell play today and to bat there. (He did have Wlad in the ODC pinch hitting for Corky though)
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-07-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Final Colorado 4, Cincinnati 3

Scoring Summary
    Bot 3rd: Colorado
    - T. Helton singled to shallow right center, U. Jimenez scored, C. Gonzalez to third, C. Gonzalez out at home

Top 4th: Cincinnati
    - S. Rolen singled to shallow right, P. Janish scored
    - J. Gomes homered to deep left, S. Rolen scored

Bot 7th: Colorado
    - T. Helton hit sacrifice fly to left, E. Young scored, C. Gonzalez to third
    - T. Tulowitzki singled to shallow right center, C. Gonzalez scored

Bot 8th: Colorado
    - I. Stewart homered to deep right

Reds Batting
    HR - J Gomes (18, 4th inning off U Jimenez 1 on, 2 Out).

RBI - S Rolen (9), J Gomes 2 (45).

2-out RBI - S Rolen, J Gomes 2.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - D McDonald 2.

GIDP - J Gomes.

Team LOB - 4.

Base Running
    CS - D Stubbs (3, 2nd base by U Jimenez/C Iannetta), S Rolen (2, 2nd base by F Morales/C Iannetta).

Fielding
    E - H Bailey (2, field).

Outfield assists - D Stubbs.

Rockies Batting
    2B - S Smith (17, H Bailey).

HR - I Stewart (23, 8th inning off C Fisher 0 on, 0 Out).

S - S Smith, C Iannetta.

SF - T Helton.

RBI - T Helton 2 (77), T Tulowitzki (75), I Stewart (64).

2-out RBI - T Helton, T Tulowitzki.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - C Gonzalez 1, T Tulowitzki 1, U Jimenez 2.

Team LOB - 9.

Fielding
    E - S Smith (1, field).

DP - 2 (C Barmes-T Tulowitzki-T Helton, C Barmes-T Tulowitzki).

Pitching
    Code:
    IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    H. Bailey  5.2 5 1 1 5 6 0 1.54 5.60   
    N. Masset  0.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.03 2.67   
    A. Rhodes  1.0 2 2 2 1 1 0 1.10 2.76   
    C. Fisher  0.2 2 1 1 0 0 1 1.46 4.18      (L, 1-1)
    D. Herrera 0.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.43 2.89   

Colorado 
      IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    U. Jimenez    6.0 6 3 3 3 5 1 1.21 3.32   
    M. Daley      1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1.16 3.70   
    R. Betancourt 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0.88 1.69   (W, 2-1) 
    F. Morales    1.0 2 0 0 0 1 0 1.13 2.67    (S, 4)
    Pitches-strikes - H Bailey 117-71; N Masset 3-1; A Rhodes 21-13; C Fisher 12-8; D Herrera 2-2; U Jimenez 86-52; M Daley 10-8; R Betancourt 14-9; F Morales 15-7.

Ground balls-fly balls - H Bailey 4-6; N Masset 0-0; A Rhodes 1-1; C Fisher 1-1; D Herrera 0-1; U Jimenez 6-2; M Daley 2-0; R Betancourt 0-1; F Morales 2-0.

Batters faced - H Bailey 26; A Rhodes 6; C Fisher 4; D Herrera 1; U Jimenez 24; M Daley 3; R Betancourt 3; F Morales 4.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 09-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.

What is the big deal in calling out bad decisions...if they are clearly bad decisions? Not all of them are clearly that ...but not PH for WT Junior ..clearly was. It's the nitpicking on things that are not so clear cut or do not make any sense that get to people. Gomes not throwing out that runner...who was clearly above average fast and only maybe a Joe Ferguson type throw gets him...is nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know Darnell stunk it up at the beginning of the season (and today for that matter), but he seems like an odd person to single out today. There were miscues up and down the roster. Since he got called up from Louisville in late August, McDonald has been hitting .333 (including today's oh-fer). Wlad, who several people wanted to see in that spot, is hitting .264 over that same timeframe. Sure, over the long haul, I prefer the upside of Balentien. But Darnell has played some very solid defense and, outside of today, he's been productive at the dish. Hard to really fault Dusty on letting Darnell play today and to bat there. (He did have Wlad in the ODC pinch hitting for Corky though)
    Well if I was singling someone out it would be the one that made the decision to switch from Masset to the next guy, and the next, that seems to be where things bit the dust. Not necessarily the same guy that makes out lineups that produce so few runs. Heaven forbid. :

Over his last four starts, Homer has compiled:

1P 25 (6+ AVERAGE)
    H 23
    R 5
    ER 5
    BB 12
    SO 20
    ERA 1.80

Not bad. Not bad at all. In those 4 games, the Reds are 3-1, with the loss being no fault of Homer's. I have to admit that I didn't think he'd ever pitch this well, but I'm glad he is.

I know Darnell stunk it up at the beginning of the season (and today for that matter), but he seems like an odd person to single out today. There were miscues up and down the roster. Since he got called up from Louisville in late August, McDonald has been hitting .333 (including today's oh-fer) 8 for 24. Wlad, who several people wanted to see in that spot, is hitting .264 (9 for 34) over that same timeframe. Sure, over the long haul, I prefer the upside of Balentien. But Darnell has played some very solid defense and, outside of today, he's been productive at the dish. Hard to really fault Dusty on letting Darnell play today and to bat there. (He did have Wlad in the ODC pinch hitting for Corky though)
    Balentien has the possibility to be a bonafide major leaguer. McDonald....not so much. I'd rather see Balentien get every start the rest of the way out than run McDonald and his 'swing for the upper deck' hacks up there.
    He did hit one to the upper deck this year, it's just the other 73 swings that he missed that I have a problem with.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Yep. It went downhill once Homer started getting squeezed. The pen failed to produce which has been a VERY rare thing this season. The defense was poor, another pretty rare thing lately. Some mental errors (votto picked off second napping) & some questionable managing (I'm not counting the Stubbs bunting thing...I think he did that on his own) with the double steal there.
    Wow that is quite a bit of stuff there, guess I will have to single out the manager and coaching after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Well if I was singling someone out it would be the one that made the decision to switch from Masset to the next guy, and the next, that seems to be where things bit the dust. Not necessarily the same guy that makes out lineups that produce so few runs. Heaven forbid. :
    You think it was a bad move to bring in Rhodes? He's been rock solid all season. It's certainly not Dusty's fault that he failed to get the job done. Same goes for Fisher.

As for the lineup...I actually liked the lineup today. I know many here don't like Paul's bat in the 2 hole, but for the past month or so he's been swinging a solid bat and getting the job done. And it's not the lineups that are the reason this club has scored so few runs this season. It's the hitters not producing. You can re-arrange .220 hitters all you want, they're still .220 hitters. I know you guys want high OBP guys at the top of the order...but here's the problem...Dusty doesn't have any of those to work with. If you want to point a finger...try pointing it at Walt if you ask me. But with the injuries we've been dealt...I don't know of ANY Gm who could've fixed it all.

You think it was a bad move to bring in Rhodes? He's been rock solid all season. It's certainly not Dusty's fault that he failed to get the job done. Same goes for Fisher.

As for the lineup...I actually liked the lineup today. I know many here don't like Paul's bat in the 2 hole, but for the past month or so he's been swinging a solid bat and getting the job done. And it's not the lineups that are the reason this club has scored so few runs this season. It's the hitters not producing. You can re-arrange .220 hitters all you want, they're still .220 hitters. I know you guys want high OBP guys at the top of the order...but here's the problem...Dusty doesn't have any of those to work with. If you want to point a finger...try pointing it at Walt if you ask me. But with the injuries we've been dealt...I don't know of ANY Gm who could've fixed it all.
    You have some good points there.

I think it is the "Law Of Attractions". Dusty just attracts the wrong decision at the wrong time. Like attracting speed with the inability to get to first base.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    What is the big deal in calling out bad decisions...if they are clearly bad decisions? Not all of them are clearly that ...but not PH for WT Junior ..clearly was. It's the nitpicking on things that are not so clear cut or do not make any sense that get to people. Gomes not throwing out that runner...who was clearly above average fast and only maybe a Joe Ferguson type throw gets him...is nitpicking.
    Everyone seems to be in a bad mood today. No tolerance here. Everything was Ok today and anyone who mentioned something they didn't see the same way was jumped on. That hasn't happened for a long time in game threads, but this one was the exception.

Turn Off Ads?