Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Season

Re: The 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Brady is very below average now at this point in his career.
    Looks like NE got to keep the refs in the Brady-Belichick divorce.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

Hamilton95 (09-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Brady is very below average now at this point in his career.
    how about we revisit that statement in 5 or 6 weeks? The guy did not play well, but it was his first game with a new team for the first time in 20 years with zero preseason game. I am not guaranteeing that will not be the conclusion, but it is way too early to may such as claim about the greatest to ever do it.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Looks like NE got to keep the refs in the Brady-Belichick divorce.
    well, they sure did not follow Brady to New Orleans! There were bad calls that went both ways, but the PI call that gave the Saints their 2nd TD was a poor call, and really damaged the Bucs more than just the 6 points.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-14-2020)

have to do this cleanse.....as a Bucs fan, watching the game today felt an awful lot like watching a Reds game! Guys just not performing up to their ability, and shooting themselves in the foot every time they began to advance.

Bruce Arians - I am probably in the minority as a Bucs fan, but I have never been a big fan of Arians and will not be upset when he decides to retire and exit Tampa Bay. I think a lot of what took place on the field today in regards to the penalties is the direct result of a coach that is far more concerned about his image than he is in running a tight operation. This is not new for an Arians team....being Mr. Cool in camp has a price, and the price is a team that lacks discipline. I think Arians is an offensive genius and I know he has had success as a head coach, but the reason he does not have a Lombardi Trophy is because he really is an OC masquerading as a HC. I have heard players refer to Bill Belichick with many descriptions, but "cool" has never been one of them.

Byron Leftwich - He took over the play calling last season, and had one of the most productive offenses in the NFL. Today really highlighted how having a strong armed Winston throwing bombs almost every down to the best WR tandem in the NFL allows a non-elite play caller to pile up tons of yards/points. The play calling today was a joke.....it is like he did not have an understanding of his own players and never scouted the Saints. The pass plays and route trees that were being run were not conducive to Brady's strengths, and the routes (from what I could see) did not fit what Godwin and Evans excel at on an individual basis. There were a few good plays for Godwin on crossing patterns, but you have to give it to Evans on his back shoulder, or up high and allow him to go get it. Some of that was likely on Brady, but again many of the routes did not appear to be timing routes where Evans is the initial progression. Maybe someone should have told Leftwich that it is not easy to run on the Saints defense, especially between the tackles! I get you have to from time to time to keep the defense honest, but there were more than a handful of possessions where Leftwich called basic dives off the Guard on 1st and 2nd down that gained a yard or two...resulting in 3rd and long. It is just dumb....nobody is going to beat the Saints running into the teeth of that defense more than once or twice on a multiple 1st down possession. Rojo was running hard, but often running into a brick wall play after play.

Brady - He was not sharp. He has not had the strongest arm for several years, but his arm appeared strong enough....just did not appear to have command of the offense. It appears the first interception that was a miscommunication between him and Evans was actually on Brady. The 2nd interception was on Brady, but not an idea play for Brady to be running in the first place....a deep out from the boundary hash to the field sideline. It takes a Winston level arm to have enough zip on that ball. Early in the game the Bucs set up a screen to Rojo and if Brady makes a nice pass, Rojo is probably still running. Brady just missed several throws. Finally, I get Brady always had the smaller slot receiver....often viewed as the short white receiver....in New England, but that is not the best path in Tampa Bay. Scotty Miller is a nice little receiver, but as a 6th Round pick from Bowling Green that is not half as talented as Evans and Godwin, he should never lead this team in targets, receptions or yards unless the other team is not defending him. Miller can make a play here and there, but the odds of something big happening by getting the ball in Evans or Godwins hands are far greater than getting it to Miller.

Other Offense - Donovan Smith is usually an average Left Tackle. He has complained a lot this offseason about COVID and I think this is his last year under contract....but in general had a bad attitude recently. Tonight he literally missed his block multiple times causing plays to get blown up. Not sure if the two are related, but he needs to be dealt with immediately. OJ Howard needs to be more involved in the passing game....he can make things happen. Fournette clearly was not comfortable in the offense yet....often appeared hesitant with the ball and did not trust the play to develop in front of him. Get the ball to Evans and Godwin...often.

Special Teams - Do not understand why you have Ryan Succop out there attempting a 54 yard FG. Arians cut Gay last week who could hit those in his sleep....but wanted Succop because while his leg is much weaker, he can be counted of from 40 yards and in....so again, why is he out there trying to kick a 54 yard FG? KO and Punt coverage both need tightened up. I am not sure what Mike Edwards was trying to accomplish on the KO Return when he ran into Mickens and cause the fumble....nor do I care at this point. I would cut Edwards....guy has been a bust since we drafted him last year, and now he is screwing up special teams.

Defense - Played well....most of the scoring was a result of turnovers and poor field position. The only really bad play was Jamel Dean blowing the coverage on the Saints TE Jared Cook, allowing him to be wide open for a 46 yard completion, and then they allowed Kamara to get loose on a long screen play. Carlton Davis basically shut down Michael Thomas, and Sanders was kept in check by the secondary. The Saints run game was mostly shut down by the front 7. I think David and White are as good as any two inside LB's in the league....and Barrett and JPP coming off the edges are a nightmare for offenses. This loss was not on the defense as the Saints had under 270 yards of offense.

I went into the game optimistic, but even I knew it would be difficult to get out of New Orleans with a win. Still, not feeling great about this team because of the way we lost. I do not see the penalties and mistakes all disappearing in Week 2....nor do I see Leftwich suddenly not calling idiotic plays. The good news in the Panthers are not the Saints, but Brady needs to come to the realization very soon that the only path for this team to win a bunch of games is to get the ball into the hands of Evans, Godwin and Howard as much as possible!
    Last edited by adkindo; 09-14-2020 at 01:29 AM.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    how about we revisit that statement in 5 or 6 weeks? The guy did not play well, but it was his first game with a new team for the first time in 20 years with zero preseason game. I am not guaranteeing that will not be the conclusion, but it is way too early to may such as claim about the greatest to ever do it.
    I was speaking about what he looked like the entire season last year and for half a year before that. This one game only continues that downward trend.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I mean, Brady is like 50 years old. He looked it yesterday and last year.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

I was speaking about what he looked like the entire season last year and for half a year before that. This one game only continues that downward trend.
    I think the Brady we saw yesterday was not the Brady we have seen in New England in recent years, mostly last year. Last year, Brady never appeared to not have command of the offense, and at times last season we saw what appeared to be a steep decline in velocity on his passes. Yesterday, I saw a QB that did not have command of the offense to the level where he could just play and his progressions looked natural....which I guess is expected. Also, I thought his arm strength was fine yesterday and looked stronger than last year. His arm strength has clearly diminished from his best years, but nothing drastic like Brees.

Brees arm looked so bad yesterday in my opinion, I would not be shocked if the Saints set him down the stretch to try to save some of it for the playoffs. He really only went downfield a handful of times, and only completed the pass to the wide open TE on blown coverage. The headlines this morning about Brees besting Brady are very misleading in my opinion, as the Saints offense was very poor....and this is an offense that has pretty much been in tact for several years. Sean Payton did well scheming to squeeze something out of it, but he was forced to break out trick/gimmick plays in Week 1 to move the ball. Logic would suggest a veteran offense that has played together for a long period is only going to marginally improve throughout the season, and I am not sure how far the Saints can get this year with Brees inability to throw downfield. They will likely be able to run the ball better against other teams because the Bucs run defense is the best in the NFL.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Also, in the limited number of plays I was able to see, it looked like Gronk was running with cement shoes on.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Also, in the limited number of plays I was able to see, it looked like Gronk was running with cement shoes on.
    Brady/Arians will feed him the ball a couple times a game to keep him engaged, but Gronk is not a primary option in this team. He is mostly out there to help Wirfs on the right side of the line blocking, and as a mentor to Howard.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Brady/Arians will feed him the ball a couple times a game to keep him engaged, but Gronk is not a primary option in this team. He is mostly out there to help Wirfs on the right side of the line blocking, and as a mentor to Howard.
    Something I’ve been curious about for awhile:

With there being 3 teams in Florida how does the fandom work out geographically? The cities obviously, but how does it work with the rest of the state? Do people in like Orlando just pick a team they like an go with it?

― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Something I’ve been curious about for awhile:

With there being 3 teams in Florida how does the fandom work out geographically? The cities obviously, but how does it work with the rest of the state? Do people in like Orlando just pick a team they like an go with it?
    I am not sure there is an exact science to it. First, the most popular team in Florida is still the Dolphins, but that fan base outside Miami is basically dying off. The Bucs showed up in Tampa in the late 70's, but were irrelevant until the '90's and Dan Marino was a football god in the 1980's and early 90's. So basically, Miami locked in those Florida fans through the 70's & 80's, but they are aging out. Orlando is probably mostly split between the Bucs and Jags for fans under 60 years old....maybe the Buc's have a 60/40 split. Orlando is a little closer to Tampa than Jacksonville....maybe as you get to Daytona Beach and north it begins to trend Jacksonville. Within the cities, Miami is still the best fan base as they stick with the Dolphins through winning and losing....while Tampa and Jacksonville have been a little more there for the winning, less for the losing. In Miami, the Marlins and the Heat are afterthoughts compared to the Dolphins.

As with everything in Florida, 1,000's of new sports fans move here weekly and have their own favorite team....so there are strong pockets of Patriots, Bills, Giants, Eagles, Bears, etc. fans throughout the state. I know of sports bars in Orlando that cater to Patriots/Red Sox fans....and Giants/Yankees (to a lesser extent Mets/Jets) fans. Although the fan base for local teams has gotten stronger since I was a teenager in the 90's, it is still a complicated and tough market because of the constant influx of new residents from the North. The difference is when I was in high school, there was only 1 kid on my football team that was born in Florida.....now I would guess nearly half of the local high school team was born in Florida and more likely developed into a fan of Florida teams.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I am not sure there is an exact science to it. First, the most popular team in Florida is still the Dolphins, but that fan base outside Miami is basically dying off. The Bucs showed up in Tampa in the late 70's, but were irrelevant until the '90's and Dan Marino was a football god in the 1980's and early 90's. So basically, Miami locked in those Florida fans through the 70's & 80's, but they are aging out. Orlando is probably mostly split between the Bucs and Jags for fans under 60 years old....maybe the Buc's have a 60/40 split. Orlando is a little closer to Tampa than Jacksonville....maybe as you get to Daytona Beach and north it begins to trend Jacksonville. Within the cities, Miami is still the best fan base as they stick with the Dolphins through winning and losing....while Tampa and Jacksonville have been a little more there for the winning, less for the losing. In Miami, the Marlins and the Heat are afterthoughts compared to the Dolphins.

As with everything in Florida, 1,000's of new sports fans move here weekly and have their own favorite team....so there are strong pockets of Patriots, Bills, Giants, Eagles, Bears, etc. fans throughout the state. I know of sports bars in Orlando that cater to Patriots/Red Sox fans....and Giants/Yankees (to a lesser extent Mets/Jets) fans. Although the fan base for local teams has gotten stronger since I was a teenager in the 90's, it is still a complicated and tough market because of the constant influx of new residents from the North. The difference is when I was in high school, there was only 1 kid on my football team that was born in Florida.....now I would guess nearly half of the local high school team was born in Florida and more likely developed into a fan of Florida teams.
    What an interesting state with regard to demographics.

When I lived in Charlotte it was very similar with all the northern transplants.

I remember going to a Panthers/Giants Monday night football game and it being like 75% New York fans.

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-15-2020)

From Rotoworld w/ Rotoworld comments:

NFL executive Troy Vincent said there would be "accountability measures" imposed on teams whose coaches or staffers didn't adhere to mask-wearing protocols during games. Vincent said the league would come down on teams or individual coaches or staff for not wearing masks that cover the mouth and nose during games. It wasn't uncommon to see team employees on the sidelines of Sunday's games lower their masks while talking or shouting to players on the field. Vincent offered fair warning. We could see the NFL take action against teams for continued violations of face covering policies in the coming weeks.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

The first person who comes to mind is Jon Gruden, who didn't wear his mask the entire game.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Brady we saw yesterday was not the Brady we have seen in New England in recent years, mostly last year. Last year, Brady never appeared to not have command of the offense, and at times last season we saw what appeared to be a steep decline in velocity on his passes. Yesterday, I saw a QB that did not have command of the offense to the level where he could just play and his progressions looked natural....which I guess is expected. Also, I thought his arm strength was fine yesterday and looked stronger than last year. His arm strength has clearly diminished from his best years, but nothing drastic like Brees.

Brees arm looked so bad yesterday in my opinion, I would not be shocked if the Saints set him down the stretch to try to save some of it for the playoffs. He really only went downfield a handful of times, and only completed the pass to the wide open TE on blown coverage. The headlines this morning about Brees besting Brady are very misleading in my opinion, as the Saints offense was very poor....and this is an offense that has pretty much been in tact for several years. Sean Payton did well scheming to squeeze something out of it, but he was forced to break out trick/gimmick plays in Week 1 to move the ball. Logic would suggest a veteran offense that has played together for a long period is only going to marginally improve throughout the season, and I am not sure how far the Saints can get this year with Brees inability to throw downfield. They will likely be able to run the ball better against other teams because the Bucs run defense is the best in the NFL.
    He's going to improve and adjust. He's too smart. He'll be like Peyton Manning's next to last season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

It’s chemistry. New QB on a new team. No preseason, no training camp. To be honest I’m surprised all of the teams have been as sharp as they have been.

And to boot, Drew Brees and the Saints on the road in week one. Had it not been for the christening of the monstrosity in LA, Tom Brady’s Tampa debut would have likely been in prime time last night.

Brady will get it. I still think Brees and the Saints win the division but I’m sticking to my LeBron/Lakers comparison. It’ll be next year before you see how it really works out due to building chemistry with the players and coaching staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (09-14-2020)

Turn Off Ads?