Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

After rereading this thread, I've come to the following conclusion: The believers among us need to ask more skeptical questions like Dom Heffner and the non-believers need to be a little more open to possibilities. Both camps seem to dig their feet in like they are involved in a religious crusade. In the end, everyone--on both sides--needs to act in a more scientific manner. Using anecdotal evidence to "prove" ghosts does not do the job, nor does out of hand denying the existence of paranormal phenomena.
    I truly appreciate this post, and I would add-

If we throw out the laws of physics, then we might as well just be talking about the Easter Bunny.

To say that a ghost pushed you or that you can see one, violates natural laws that we live and breathe by.

If you want to say that you think these laws don't apply at all times in our world, then hey, anything is possible. So if that's what some of you are saying, well, maybe there are tiny people living in my salt shaker right now and maybe we just can't see them.

If that's what being open-minded is about, consider mine closed.

This nonsense of people dying, their energy transforming into something else that is visible at times, they can then move through walls, move objects, speak....these are basic tenets of physics that have been violated and I'm not willing to go there based on a perception of the human mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I would love to ask our ghost chasers this:

Based on your eyewitness accounts and hearing accounts from others, can ghosts a) walk and b) move through obstacles such as walls, buildings, etc.?

Maybe Ghost are actually the wind!

I feel ghost all day.

I just took a huge ghost in my bathroom a few minutes ago

The only thing any of us know is that we don't really have any proof of anything. That goes for believers as well as disbelievers. Any stance to the contrary is, IMO, kind of arrogant.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    The only thing any of us know is that we don't really have any proof of anything. That goes for believers as well as disbelievers. Any stance to the contrary is, IMO, kind of arrogant.
    One can deconstruct the idea of "proof" until there is no real "proof" of anything.

I don't think it's all that arrogant to view the universe as having some kind of order and reason to it, or to dismiss "possibilities" that are extremely remote and fall outside the realm of order and reason.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    One can deconstruct the idea of "proof" until there is no real "proof" of anything.

I don't think it's all that arrogant to view the universe as having some kind of order and reason to it, or to dismiss "possibilities" that are extremely remote and fall outside the realm of order and reason.
    Just because you can't prove something doesn't mean its not there. You can't prove love exists, but I bet we all can say we know it is.

Dom,
    I am still curious as to what 'law of physics' was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

True, but I still think it's one thing to say you don't believe something and quite another to dismiss it out of hand as completely impossible. The logical analogy for this is organized religion, which I don't believe in, yet I still admit that it is possible that I am wrong. That, however, is a topic best left for the the peanut gallery.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Just because you can't prove something doesn't mean its not there. You can't prove love exists, but I bet we all can say we know it is.

Dom,
    Except that love is an emotional state, not something independent of a person that is thought to be able to randomly push people to the ground.

There are a number of chemical, psychological, and sociological methods by which we can measure love.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    There are a number of chemical, psychological, and sociological methods by which we can measure love.
    No, we can measure something... but we can't be certain of what we are measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Except that love is an emotional state, not something independent of a person that is thought to be able to randomly push people to the ground.
    There are other examples of things that can't be proven but can't be unproven either. It was just a nice example that everyone would get.

There are other examples of things that can't be proven but can't be unproven either. It was just a nice example that everyone would get.
    I get that, it's just that there is really no great comparison for what is being discussed here.

No, we can measure something... but we can't be certain of what we are measuring.
    The things we can measure -- situations, behaviors, attitudes, actions, reactions, etc. -- are grouped together and defined as "love." The concept is broad, but we still have a pretty good idea what it is, and it is generally observable and repeatable.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Dom,
    Basic laws of physics accepted since Newton's time. I'm not a physicist, but it's my basic high school understanding that, in order to move a body at rest (you), some amount of force would be required to act upon that body, which in turn requires some combination of mass and energy. Thus for a ghost to move you, the ghost would need some kind of mass and/or energy to do so. If a ghost had mass or energy, it's presence would be detectable and measurable. As no one has yet provided observable and measurable scientific evidence of ghostly presences that can be repeated through experimentation, many people, including myself, remain skeptical.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?