Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ball at it again.....

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ball at it again.....

I wish someone more stable were trying this, because it's a good idea.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-20-2017),IslandRed (12-21-2017),Revering4Blue (12-20-2017),Stray (12-23-2017)

Kentucky is so screwed.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-20-2017),redsfanmia (12-20-2017),traderumor (12-22-2017)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I have heard this exact same thing said a few times today. Great idea, bad wrong person.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Actually, circa '98 or so, such a league was in the works. IIRC, it was to be based in large markets that lacked NBA franchises. It never got off the ground as the chief investor backed out and instead purchased an NBA franchise.

The chief investor that backed out, FWIW: Mark Cuban.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Kentucky is so screwed.
    I hope you are joking.

I don’t see LaVar Ball stealing recruits from John Calipari or Coach K unless it’s a player who can’t make the grades for college or doesn’t want to go to college. The only type of players this would appeal to is the Emmanuel Mudiay’s of the world.

In theory, it’s a great idea. In practice, it would be better if someone else was running it. The NBA changing the age limit will have more of an impact than LaVar Ball trying to stay in the spotlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (12-21-2017),Revering4Blue (12-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    and another thing I won't watch if you paid me. Why do people give this joker the time of day and an open mic?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

12. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (12-23-2017)

Nobody any good at all is going to go to league run by Lavar Ball.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Nobody any good at all is going to go to league run by Lavar Ball.
    Not even his children. They are staying in Lithuania supposedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It will only be a few more years, IMHO, that such a league will exist; it will be the G-league, revamped with new draft rules allowing high school kids to be drafted by the NBA, similar to baseball where you go after HS or you go to college for 2 or more seasons. The G-league will take on the development of kids worthy of being drafted or playing at that level but don't want to attend college for whatever reason, it will be a true minor league system. The G-league has been developing more and more into that type of system over the last handful of years, when they eventually alter the drat eligibility rules (and that is coming for sure if you read the tea leaves) that will be the natural extension for kids that aren't good enough to play significant minutes in the NBA at 18 or 19, but good enough to be developed in a minor league system.

I'm sure Lavar will take credit when it finally happens.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-21-2017)

Kentucky is so screwed.
    They pay better than $10k/month.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

18. Likes:

Donder (12-21-2017),KronoRed (12-21-2017),MWM (12-22-2017),texasdave (12-21-2017),traderumor (12-22-2017)

I mean, it's not a GOOD idea, because no one wants to watch it. It makes sense for the NBA to do it, as medford mentioned below, because they can consider it an investment in the money-making part of their brand, but as a stand-alone venture it's a dog.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I thought I read somewhere that the G-league was expanding next year?

I mean, it's not a GOOD idea, because no one wants to watch it. It makes sense for the NBA to do it, as medford mentioned below, because they can consider it an investment in the money-making part of their brand, but as a stand-alone venture it's a dog.
    The summer league is a bigger and bigger deal every year - I think people want more basketball. It doesn't have to do NFL numbers to be a viable television product.

Basketball at this level is seeing some experimentation which is cool.

For example, I watched some of the Basketball Tournament this year because some old OSU players put together a team - it was actually really cool. The grand prize for that is $2 million right now.

https://www.thetournament.com/

That gets awfully interesting if you get the grand prize up into the tens of millions of dollars, and it's an obvious made for tv product. Somebody smart could make it into an Olympics like broadcast with tearjerker player profiles, etc.

So long as you are getting the biggest NBA prospects with this it's interesting and people will watch. I just don't see Ball being the guy able to put it all together. Putting it in existing NBA cities is already a strike against the idea. You'd have a better shot putting it in cities with no team. Something like a league with a division of Louisville - Cincinnati - Columbus - Pittsburgh. Low travel costs, four cities with viable arenas, and four good tv markets that watch sports.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

22. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-21-2017),dubc47834 (12-21-2017),Revering4Blue (12-21-2017)

Minor league basketball has been tried a million times, and it's never delivered fans. The Basketball Tournament is cool, but you gave away the issue when you said why you watched it: you knew the guys from their time at OSU.

Turn Off Ads?