Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Re: What Will Next Year Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm not saying the Reds need to rush out and sign the top SS on the market, but there are several interesting names available. Would you let Farmer or Barrero stand in the way of landing Trevor Story at an affordable price? I wouldn't.
    The question is does landing Trevor Story or somebody similar tie up resources the Reds need to use on improving the OF. Winker is a monster against RHP when he's healthy. Naquin is an acceptable role player who might be OK asa platoon starter. The rest of the options are 5th or 6th OF.

This team's number 1 need at this point is an all around player who can play CF and run, hit and throw. The second biggest need is a guy who mashes lefties to platoon with Naquin in RF - hopefully one who is competent out there on defense. I'd focus on those needs over SS. I'd also place a priority on resigning or replacing Givens and Lorenzen and also adding a top lefty to the pen on top of that. Next on my list would be another starting pitcher, two if they decide to cut bait with Miley. Next up is what to do about Barnhart or replacing him. SS is last Spring's problem IMO.

Put it his way Barrero/Farmer at SS is less of a problem than Senzel, Aquino, Shogo in CF and RF. Its also less a problem than Vlad as the 5th starter and maybe less than upgrading from Miley who looks to have hit the wall and based on his history might be in for a bad season. There is definitely more urgency at the Catcher position. They either need to bite the Bullet and pay Barnhart $7 Million plus or cut bait and find somebody else. Stephenson's fade down teh stretch might give us pause about handing the job to him. 3B is a huge concern that will require a lot of money to address. Outside of India, Winker and Votto, I feel better about SS next season than I do about any of the other positions.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

DocRed (09-22-2021),HokieRed (09-22-2021),JCM11 (09-22-2021),REDREAD (09-22-2021),Revering4Blue (09-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

40 Man roster and 60 Day DL players on Septemebr 22, 2021:

Guys I'd like to see the Reds move on from:

Aquino, Shogo, Garrett, Brach, Hendrix, Taylor, Blandino, Cabrera, Deshields, O'Brien, Perez

Guys who need to have reduced roles (in some cases these are guys the Reds are stuck with and can't move on from)

Senzel, Schrock, Farmer, Naquin, Vlad, Sims, Hoffman, Friedl, Wilson, Suarez, Moustakas

Guys they need to replace

Castellanos, Lorenzen, Givens

Guys who may need moved or not renewed and then replaced

Barnhart, Miley

Guys who won't contribute in 2022

Antone,

Guys who come back in similar roles to 2021

Votto, Winker, India, Castillo, Gray Mahle, Stephenson, Cessa, Santillan, Warren

GUys who may help next year

Barrero,

Unknowns who probably are minor leaguers next year

Bailey, Moreta, Solomon, Kolosvary, Lopez

This doesn't address Greene, Lodolo or Ashcraft who I think may help next year. I don't think any are deserving of having a spot opened for them as of opening day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    The Reds really have two choices: spend significant money in FA to fill their massive holes or start tearing it down now. With Castillo, Gray, Mahle and Winker having 2 years left on their contracts, they have to make a decision and commit to strategy. They can't afford to wait until all their assets lose their value...again.

Another year starting the season with an incredibly flawed roster and just hoping to sorta hang around is unacceptable.
    I don't have faith that they could come even remotely close to doing either of these things sufficiently.

6. Likes:

DocRed (09-22-2021)

I would look at dealing Mahle for a haul this off season. He clearly can't pitch at GABP(6.10 ERA at home 1.85 on the road). There could be some teams that view him as a front line SP in the right ball park and would give up a lot for two full seasons.

8. Likes:

DocRed (09-22-2021)

The Reds have a host of young talent from the “Tank Years.” It’s time to put those chips in the middle and see what happens. Barrero is my OD starting SS. India is at 2b. Stephenson is the starting catcher. I love Tucker. But time to move on. Senzel starts at 3b for me. Yes he’s brittle. But put him at his actual position and let’s see what happens. Find a way to drop Suarez. Pay the vast majority of his salary and I won’t even care. Just get him out of here. Same with Shogo. Friedl can do what he does. Moose would be harder to move. I’d keep him around to spot start around the infield sans SS. He’s also a veteran option to plug in for injuries or to DH of that happens.

The outfield will need work. They need to find a true CF. At the very least someone who can flat pick it defensively. I think the price would be steep, but Mullins in Baltimore is intriguing. Trading Mahle or Gray for Kiermaier would interest me as well. For RF I go after Bryant all out. He can always come in and play 3b or 1b in a pinch.

The BP needs a complete overhaul. Only guys I really want back at this point are Santillan, Warren, Cessa, Wilson, and Givens. They need a legit back of the pen hammer.

Rotation will see some new faces with Lodolo and Greene at some point.

Areas of need to me. CF, RF, CL/back end pen. Hate to call it need, but gotta ditch Suarez and Shogo, and let go of Tucker. Doing a trade of a starter for another area of need might be in the cards too.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

12. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    LOL

Reds Opening Day 2022

2B-India
    LF-Winker
    1B-Votto
    C-Stephenson
    3B-Geno
    RF-Moustakas
    CF-Naquin or FA Signing
    SS-Farmer
    SP-Castillo

First off...this is what I THINK happens, not necessarily what I want to happen. Second, Geno and Moose are not tradeable unless you include prospects and this team will not do that. Third, they are both making $11+M next year so they will both play IMO...that's this teams MO. With Castellanos as likely gone the only real way to get them both in the lineup is for one of them to play the OF. I could also see Geno in the OF as he has better speed but Moose is pretty awful at 3B too so it's a Catch-22.

Also I think Tucker is as good as gone...which sucks but his 0.9 bWAR this year is not going to net him $7.5M next year especially after we saw what management did with Raisel.

Barring a trade or FA singing I think our starting rotation is the same as this year as Vlad has done enough and to be the 5th starter net year.

The one area I think we will spend is in the bullpen as it has become abundantly clear to anyone with half a brain that the scuttling of our BP this year is a big part of our failure as a team this year to make the playoffs. I would expect 1-2 signings in the pen in the offseason.

Caveat: if the DH happens next year I think Moose goes to DH opening up a spot in RF. In that case barring a FA signing I could see Friedl in CF and Naquin in RF
    Last edited by DocRed; 09-22-2021 at 07:42 PM.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

Moose RF? Never happening.

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-23-2021),cumberlandreds (09-23-2021),HokieRed (09-22-2021),mth123 (09-22-2021),Old school 1983 (09-23-2021),REDREAD (09-22-2021),Ron Madden (09-23-2021)

I hope they don't forget what has made them competitive over the past couple seasons: a rotation much more consistent than has been the historical norm in Cincinnati. With that in mind, I would be very reluctant to trade any of Castillo, Gray, or Mahle. The first tough call, then, is Miley, and it does not seem wise to me to pay 10 million bucks to a 35 year old, even as good as he has been most of this year. I also think Gutierrez is probably going to be much more useful out of the pen, though maybe he has just run up against an innings wall this year. So I start with three starters and an "if" in Gutierrez and with Lodolo and Greene, of course, somewhere in the future. So here's a question. I don't know that it's wise to pay $5 million or upward to Lorenzen to work out of the pen but maybe you pay him and tell him he'll be given a serious shot at working in the rotation. He might start the season as the #4 starter with Gutierrez or Hoffman or O'Brien at number 5 and Lodolo and Greene in line to be brought up when ready. If Lorenzen handles the starting spot well and Lodolo and Greene claim spots, his success enables you to move one of the other starters. And this allows for Gutierrez to be moved to the pen, strengthening the pen. I think the OP's question is a complex one; this is as far as I've got so far.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021),UK Reds Fan (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I hope they don't forget what has made them competitive over the past couple seasons: a rotation much more consistent than has been the historical norm in Cincinnati. With that in mind, I would be very reluctant to trade any of Castillo, Gray, or Mahle. The first tough call, then, is Miley, and it does not seem wise to me to pay 10 million bucks to a 35 year old, even as good as he has been most of this year. I also think Gutierrez is probably going to be much more useful out of the pen, though maybe he has just run up against an innings wall this year. So I start with three starters and an "if" in Gutierrez and with Lodolo and Greene, of course, somewhere in the future.
    This is a very good point. I agree, I'm not breaking up Castillo/Gray/Mahle. You have to pick up Miley's option but trading him should be a real consideration. Re-signing Lorenzen as a backend starter is a solid idea. I'd love to see them peruse the trade market for a starter as well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

REDREAD (09-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Moose RF? Never happening.
    Adam Dunn says hi

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Adam Dunn says hi
    Dunn actually played the OF before then though

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He's certainly not going to pitch next year.
    Given the Reds' history, I think it's 50-50 that Antone is "Well ahead of schedule" and pitches in the second half of next season.
    It won't be pretty, but they may try it anyhow.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Battling Pittsburgh for 5th place

Turn Off Ads?