Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Re: 2020 Reds News, Notes And Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    #Reds rotation vs. Brewers: Luis Castillo on Monday, Sonny Gray on Tuesday, Trevor Bauer on Wednesday.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-20-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-21-2020),Tuff Nut (09-21-2020),wolfboy (09-21-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Bauer on Wednesday means Bauer on Sunday if necessary.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (09-20-2020),Ron Madden (09-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Bauer on Wednesday means Bauer on Sunday if necessary.
    Bauer or Sonny, depending on several factors.

But I suspect you are more likely to see Bauer Sunday with Sonny getting extra rest for Wed first round. Followed by Castillo on regular rest Thrs and Bauer (regular rest) Fri if necessary.

https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/stat...947480577?s=21

This is the guy called a POS in a game thread yesterday.

8. Likes:

Crumbley (09-21-2020),Ron Madden (09-21-2020),wally post (09-21-2020)

That was just an impressive game (win) to watch yesterday. Shows what this team can do when they're clicking on all cylinders. Something that haven't beern able to do for a good portion of the season. But better late then never.

While it's good to see the offense start to come around ... you still need to have top notch pitching in the play-offs, and any hope of advancing. And IMO, the Reds have that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That was just an impressive game (win) to watch yesterday. Shows what this team can do when they're clicking on all cylinders. Something that haven't beern able to do for a good portion of the season. But better late then never.

While it's good to see the offense start to come around ... you still need to have top notch pitching in the play-offs, and any hope of advancing. And IMO, the Reds have that.
    Did you watch the same game I did? The Sox walked 11 guys and hit two others. It wasn't really some kind of eruption by the offense. The Sox pitchers were awful and gave the game away. They weren't even tough PAs where the Reds worked these walks. The pitches were clearly off the plate. At least they didn't get picked off or fall down walking from base to base. They should have scored about 15 runs yesterday.

I'm thrilled they won and that the post-season is very much in play, but lets not get some false sense that they've turned a corner. Other than Aquino's HR, the runs the Reds scored were gifted. Prior to that, they beat up a Pirates team looking to the off-season and who may not win another game, and a Sox pitcher from A Ball in the 5 prior wins. When they faced an actual big league pitcher on Saturday, they were shut down.

The pitching was good. Hope that keeps up. The rest of the team is still flailing IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Did you watch the same game I did? The Sox walked 11 guys and hit two others. It wasn't really some kind of eruption by the offense. The Sox pitchers were awful and gave the game away. They weren't even tough PAs where the Reds worked these walks. The pitches were clearly off the plate. At least they didn't get picked off or fall down walking from base to base. They should have scored about 15 runs yesterday.

I'm thrilled they won and that the post-season is very much in play, but lets not get some false sense that they've turned a corner. Other than Aquino's HR, the runs the Reds scored were gifted. Prior to that, they beat up a Pirates team looking to the off-season and who may not win another game, and a Sox pitcher from A Ball in the 5 prior wins. When they faced an actual big league pitcher on Saturday, they were shut down.

The pitching was good. Hope that keeps up. The rest of the team is still flailing IMO.
    Wouldn’t flailing be swinging at a bunch of bad pitches?

They took 2 of 3 from the best team in the AL. Kinda ridiculous to beat them up after.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 09-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

12. Likes:

Chip R (09-22-2020),Edd Roush (09-21-2020),GAC (09-22-2020),JarrodOnVinyl (09-21-2020),RedsfaninMT (09-21-2020),SirFelixCat (09-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    https://twitter.com/fox19jeremy/stat...947480577?s=21

This is the guy called a POS in a game thread yesterday.
    did you apologize for calling him that, yet?

but seriously, someone called votto a POS in the game thread? i mean, i can see being frustated with votto the player at times, but not votto the person. he's a good dude.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wouldn’t flailing be swinging at a bunch of bad pitches?

They took 2 of 3 from the best team in the AL. Kinda ridiculous to beat them up after.
    I'm not beating them up as much as trying to be realistic. The "roll" that they are on seems like a mirage against the Pirates, a kid who shouldn't be in the big leagues and a bunch of pitchers who couldn't get the ball over the plate. They have good enough players, but I don't see any change from earlier when they were losing a lot of games without scoring much. Hopefully these wins gave them some confidence and we'll see some guys produce like their history says they should, but unless they run in to more weak pitching, the performance doesn't seem to have changed all that much.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

TexasRedsFan (09-21-2020)

I'm not beating them up as much as trying to be realistic. The "roll" that they are on seems like a mirage against the Pirates, a kid who shouldn't be in the big leagues and a bunch of pitchers who couldn't get the ball over the plate. They have good enough players, but I don't see any change from earlier when they were losing a lot of games without scoring much. Hopefully these wins gave them some confidence and we'll see some guys produce like their history says they should, but unless they run in to more weak pitching, the performance doesn't seem to have changed all that much.
    Yeah, they still have a shaky bullpen and an offense that can completely disappear. If they make the playoffs you can condense the pitching and possibly hide the worst of the bullpen, but if the bats don't start rolling they may not even make it there. The time to click is now.

This is where I'm at as well. I'm thrilled they've fought back and made this last week of the season interesting. But the offense is still pretty frustrating. They need to get more than one guy hot at a time and I haven't seen any signs of that happening.

Running down the lineup here...Shogo has become pesky which is a great sign. Cast swings at everything but is probably due for some better luck. Votto is Votto at this point but not a 3-hole hitter. Suarez looks lost and is swinging through 90 MPH batting practice fastballs. Moose hasn't really done much of anything this year, outside of the big HR last week against Pit. Winker/Senzel aren't themselves yet after time off. And the Garcia/Galvis, Barnhart/Casali group hasn't given you much.

And the defense remains pretty ugly. If they sneak into the playoffs this week, it will really be a herculean effort by the pitching staff, even the bullpen, to keep this team relevant this season.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

18. Likes:

TexasRedsFan (09-21-2020)

Agree the offense is still a big concern even with taking 7 of 8. They still rarely score without someone hitting a homer and yesterday was another game where they had fewer hits than runs. Seems like there's been a lot of those this season.

This week will tell us who this team really is. Best starters going and still time for a few guys to get into good streaks offensively heading (hopefully) into postseason play.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Sonny Gray said he feels great and has no limitations for tomorrow's start. He said during the team's 6-game winning streak, he always tried to sit in the same spot during the games. #Reds

21. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (09-21-2020),Edd Roush (09-21-2020),JFLegal (09-21-2020),Mitri (09-21-2020),RedTeamGo! (09-21-2020),SirFelixCat (09-21-2020),thatcoolguy_22 (09-21-2020),Tom Servo (09-21-2020)

Did you watch the same game I did? The Sox walked 11 guys and hit two others. It wasn't really some kind of eruption by the offense.
    Hard for any offense to erupt when the opposition walks 11, hits two, and can't find the plate. You take what they give you. LOL

I'm thrilled they won and that the post-season is very much in play, but lets not get some false sense that they've turned a corner.
    And where did I say, or imply, they've "turned a corner", whatever that means? Listening to you, the Reds didn't deserve to win that game, the players did little to earn it, it was a "gift" given to them by the Sox. I don't give a damn HOW the victory was achieved - that's the quirky game of baseball - but only that the Reds came out on the winning end. And as stated, it was vs the best team in the AL.

Last week the Shleprocks were worried about the upcoming, season-ending, series with the Sox, Brewers, and Twins. We're 3-1 so far into this final run, they're turning it on, finding ways to win games, when it's needed.

So let some of us enjoy it, while you're waiting for the bottom to fall out. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

Chip R (09-22-2020),fondfoat (09-26-2020),Frank Robinson (09-26-2020),podgejeff_ (09-22-2020),Ron Madden (09-22-2020)

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt
    The Reds lost to the Cardinals 16-2 on 9/1 and I'll admit that I had given up on this season at that point. They'd lost 3 in a row by a combined score of 33-8. Since then, the Reds are 13-6 (most wins in MLB) with a 2.82 ERA (3rd in MLB). Great turnaround.

25. Likes:

Frank Robinson (09-26-2020),SirFelixCat (09-22-2020)

Turn Off Ads?