Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2019-20 Euro soccer thread

Over in Spain, Real Madrid has won all six of its matches since the restart and Sergio Ramos is the league's leading scorer over that spell. Turns out that the guy posting daily videos of himself doing pull ups like they were his prison workout is really motivated to win the league title. Go figure. Barcelona has tied three of its last four games to drop 4 points behind Madrid in the standings with five games left. Madrid also has the tiebreaker in hand thanks to a better head-to-head record.

Meanwhile in England, Sheffield beat Tottenham 3-1 and Jose Mourinho went immediately into his sack of excuses. It's never too soon to regret hiring Mou.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Man City won its appeal to the Court for the Arbitration of Sport and it will not be banned from the Champions League next season. That adds serious intrigue to the close of the EPL season. Chelsea, Leicester and ManU sit 3-4-5 separated by a single point with three games to play. Leicester (Sheffield, Tottenham, ManU) and Chelsea (Liverpool, Wolves) have heavy schedules. Chelsea and ManU also play each other in an FA Cup matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Man City won its appeal to the Court for the Arbitration of Sport and it will not be banned from the Champions League next season. That adds serious intrigue to the close of the EPL season. Chelsea, Leicester and ManU sit 3-4-5 separated by a single point with three games to play. Leicester (Sheffield, Tottenham, ManU) and Chelsea (Liverpool, Wolves) have heavy schedules. Chelsea and ManU also play each other in an FA Cup matchup.
    ManCity has been fighting this for six years, and this is the outcome they needed (notwithstanding an accompanying $11 million fine).
    For me this communicates that FFP is not a rule, but merely a guideline for rich clubs, and guidelines that UEFA is unable to enforce.
    It actually helps big clubs becuase smaller clubs are constrained by FFP, keeping them from joining the elite big spenders club.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    ManCity has been fighting this for six years, and this is the outcome they needed (notwithstanding an accompanying $11 million fine).
    For me this communicates that FFP is not a rule, but merely a guideline for rich clubs, and guidelines that UEFA is unable to enforce.
    It actually helps big clubs becuase smaller clubs are constrained by FFP, keeping them from joining the elite big spenders club.
    I've never been a fan of FFP for the reason you mention.

In today’s Juventus 2: Lazio 1 match, Cristiano Ronaldo scored 2 and Ciro Immobile scored - both bringing them to 30 goals for the season.
    That is rare in Serie A. Since 1960, only Luca Toni and Gonzalo Higuain have scored 30 goals in a year. Juventus also wrapped up (not officially) the scudetto with the win. - 9yrs in a row.

7. Likes:

M2 (07-20-2020)

I know it’s a little late, but kudos to Real Madrid and their La Liga Championship. Zidane’s coaching and Ramos and Benzema’s leadership, work rate and goals (11 goals for a defender wow) were additional marks of distinction in stellar careers.
    They won despite only six goals total from Hazard, Bale, James Rodriguez and Luke Jovic. Two of those guys on an MLS team and the would dominate.

9. Likes:

M2 (07-20-2020)

I know it’s a little late, but kudos to Real Madrid and their La Liga Championship. Zidane’s coaching and Ramos and Benzema’s leadership, work rate and goals (11 goals for a defender wow) were additional marks of distinction in stellar careers.
    They won despite only six goals total from Hazard, Bale, James Rodriguez and Luke Jovic. Two of those guys on an MLS team and the would dominate.
    Yeah, that was gratifying. Zidane had them locked in. Plus, Barcelona cracked, which made it even sweeter.
    Last edited by M2; 07-20-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Christian Pulisic is insane.

12. Likes:

M2 (07-22-2020),membengal (07-23-2020),paintmered (07-22-2020),ScotlandRed (07-23-2020),Yachtzee (07-23-2020)

Chelsea and ManU are now 1 point ahead of Leicester with one game to play. Leicester hosts Manu on Sunday, while Chelsea plays 6th place Wolves (which will be trying to secure a slot in the Europa League).

In Serie A, Genoa beat Samp in a derby that deserves more love.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    * The race for the final Champions League place will be scrappy, but not nearly as scrappy as the relegation battle.
    Chelsea and ManU are now 1 point ahead of Leicester with one game to play. Leicester hosts Manu on Sunday, while Chelsea plays 6th place Wolves (which will be trying to secure a slot in the Europa League).
    I stand corrected. They're both awesomely scrappy. Bournemouth still has a slim chance to pull off a great escape. Meanwhile, if Villa and Watford both win or both lose, it might come down to who wins/loses by a bigger margin.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Christian Pulisic is insane.
    Lampard has done really well easing him into the side. Madness he didn’t start vs Liverpool though. Bad decision. Will be brilliant next season as a regular.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Lampard has done really well easing him into the side. Madness he didn’t start vs Liverpool though. Bad decision. Will be brilliant next season as a regular.
    Where will he start? At forward Chelsea has TammyAbraham and Timo Werner. At Trequartista, they have Kai Havertz.
    I think he has the super-sub role for beginning of next year. Now maybe if there are some injuries...

Where will he start? At forward Chelsea has TammyAbraham and Timo Werner. At Trequartista, they have Kai Havertz.
    I think he has the super-sub role for beginning of next year. Now maybe if there are some injuries...
    Depends on their formation. They've been in a 4-2-3-1, but could go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Abraham and Werner. Not sure if those two won't be a bit redundant. Havertz seems versatile enough to fit into any of those formations. Got Willian, Mason Mount, Jorginho, N'golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and Ross Barkley in the midfield too. I suspect you're right that Pulisic will be a supporting player. His next stop might be where he gets to play a starring role.

Depends on their formation. They've been in a 4-2-3-1, but could go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with Abraham and Werner. Not sure if those two won't be a bit redundant. Havertz seems versatile enough to fit into any of those formations. Got Willian, Mason Mount, Jorginho, N'golo Kante, Mateo Kovacic and Ross Barkley in the midfield too. I suspect you're right that Pulisic will be a supporting player. His next stop might be where he gets to play a starring role.
    Last two matches they've plated a 3-4-3 with Mason Mount on the left. I just don't get it unless it's a way to build Pulisic up mentally I guess?

Chelsea have pretty bang average center backs and shoehorning Azpilicueta into the 3rd CB is pretty criminal. They can add as many wingers and AMs as they want. The back line is iffy.

Also, Marcos Alonso should be in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Last two matches they've plated a 3-4-3 with Mason Mount on the left. I just don't get it unless it's a way to build Pulisic up mentally I guess?

Chelsea have pretty bang average center backs and shoehorning Azpilicueta into the 3rd CB is pretty criminal. They can add as many wingers and AMs as they want. The back line is iffy.

Also, Marcos Alonso should be in jail.
    Figuring out their width will be tricky. Azpilicueta and Alonso will be 31 and 30 next season. Might not be at their marauding prime.

Turn Off Ads?