Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: College Scholarship Scam arrests

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Scholarship Scam arrests

I mean this story is hilarious. It literally seems like a plot line from Full House or Desperate Hoisewives.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Disappointing. I've been a fan of Felicity Huffman since she was on SportsNight. Curious to know who else is on that list though. Sounds like some very high profile people.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

While disappointing, we all should know money makes the world go around!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Disappointing. I've been a fan of Felicity Huffman since she was on SportsNight. Curious to know who else is on that list though. Sounds like some very high profile people.
    I saw the list earlier, there wasnt any huge names, but a lot of sports figures. A couple soccer coaches.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

You mean this is news? I thought most universities gave special priveledges to alumni/alumna. Especially famous ones!
    Last edited by Slyder; 03-12-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You mean this is news? I thought most universities gave special priveledges to alumni/alumna. Especially famous ones!

Give
    may be the key word in that sentence. I suspect if you donate enough money to buy a building or establish a scholarship in your name, it's OK. But if you are actually directly or indirectly giving the college money with the express purpose to get your kid in, that's another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I have no idea why this is news and why the feds are involved. It has been going on for centuries at elite universities.

As a parent I don't really fault these people, if you have the means to get your child into an elite university, why not do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You decided against throwing shade on my alma mater?

I didn't go there for undergrad, so I don't really mind anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have no idea why this is news and why the feds are involved. It has been going on for centuries at elite universities.

As a parent I don't really fault these people, if you have the means to get your child into an elite university, why not do it?
    Right and a lot do, but not by cheating on the SAT and bribing coaches to write fake recommendations. That seems a little egregious no?

12. Likes:

Chip R (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Right and a lot do, but not by cheating on the SAT and bribing coaches to write fake recommendations. That seems a little egregious no?
    Letters of recommendations are the biggest frauds out there. I mean if you had anyone you knew with connections you went to them. If not you went to your favorite teachers who had you pretty much write the letter, they proofed it, and signed it. Quite frankly most of the college application process is a scam.

I mean if Felicity Huffman's child has a substandard SAT score but really wants to go to Yale. I don't have a problem with her donating money with the stipulation that her child gets in. Is it right and moral, no, but its gone on for ever. Even POTUS got into Penn because his daddy had money.

Letters of recommendations are the biggest frauds out there. I mean if you had anyone you knew with connections you went to them. If not you went to your favorite teachers who had you pretty much write the letter, they proofed it, and signed it. Quite frankly most of the college application process is a scam.
    Fair enough, but it would be a little different if you paid someone to write you a recommendation letter, right?

It's interesting, though, that a lot of what is pretty customary domestically is an FCPA violation if you do it with foreign government officials (which is a REALLY broad term). I probably got my first legal clerkship because my father in law was counsel at a big company that was a client of a firm and wrote a recommendation letter to a partner. If you give an internship to the son or daughter of a Saudi Aramco executive, it could very well be an FCPA violation that results in a fine and/or imprisonment.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fair enough, but it would be a little different if you paid someone to write you a recommendation letter, right?

It's interesting, though, that a lot of what is pretty customary domestically is an FCPA violation if you do it with foreign government officials (which is a REALLY broad term). I probably got my first legal clerkship because my father in law was counsel at a big company that was a client of a firm and wrote a recommendation letter to a partner. If you give an internship to the son or daughter of a Saudi Aramco executive, it could very well be an FCPA violation that results in a fine and/or imprisonment.
    True, but at what point do we say that is too much?

Just look at law school, say you wanted to get in and you had a family friend or acquaintance who was a judge or high level prosecutor. Would it be ok to take the guy out to an nice dinner in exchange for a letter of recommendation. Or say hey, my child wants to get into law school, can you write a letter of recommendation and in exchange I will take you to Opening Day? That stuff happens every day.

I mean if Felicity Huffman's child has a substandard SAT score but really wants to go to Yale. I don't have a problem with her donating money with the stipulation that her child gets in. Is it right and moral, no, but its gone on for ever. Even POTUS got into Penn because his daddy had money.
    Right but this wasn’t your dads law partner who went to Harvard writing a letter. This was a coach getting a bribe to write a fake letter pretending they needed a recruit admitted.

Pulling strings to get your child admitted is one thing, committing academic fraud by hiring someone to take and score high on the SAT so their child can be admitted is quite another. Frankly they are not doing their children any favors by getting them into a college where they don't belong academically. Unless of course they follow that up by buying the degree.

18. Likes:

RiverRat13 (03-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    How rude!

Turn Off Ads?