Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Re: NBA 2019-20: Who wins the bubble?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    So now word is out that chemistry sucks on the Clippers because Leonard was given star treatment and mainstays Harrell, Beverly and Williams were ignored. Don't see how Lue makes that situation anything but worse. But, Jerry West knows a heck of a lot more than me, so maybe there's something I'm missing about Lue.
    They should trade all three lesser players. Leonard's preferential treatment is based on his All-NBA pedigree.

Harrell and Williams are decent secondary players, while Beverley's a second-division starting PG. All three are eminently replaceable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Houston radio talk scuttlebutt seems to believe that the coaching search is down to Stephen Silas, John Lucas and Jeff Van Gundy.

Silas is the son of Paul, has extensive assistant coaching experience, and was with the Mavs last season. Maybe he can bring Luka along with him.
    All three of those choices seem to be quality people, though I wonder how much of the modern game Van Gundy and Lucas are willing to embrace.

Silas is a favorite assistant of mine. He's been part of some quality staffs under some really, really good coaches.

With rumors about Westbrook, I could see Houston and New York making a deal wherein Randle, Dennis Smith, Jr., Mitchell Robinson, and Taj Gibson (for salary ballast) move to Houston for the enigmatic star.

The Rockets could then trot out a more traditional lineup that's still able to play fast and relatively small. (Randle would be primarily a second unit scorer, allowing Harden to play with Gordon, Covington, Tucker, and Robinson (or perhaps Gibson).
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 10-17-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Anthony Davis is one of the luckiest basketball players ever.

- Grew 8 inches in 18 months in HS and went from a 6'2 sophomore guard to 6'10 and the #1 overall recruit. A F/C sized player w/guard skills

- Attends UK the year they have the best team (well he's the main reason but still) and the only year they win a championship with Cal

- #1 pick and not only does he get lotto saved from Charlotte but he also gets put in one of the least demanding NBA markets to begin his career. A player of his talent in NY, LA, BOS, CHI, PHI etc. would've been raked across the coals for not carrying his team to playoff success by year 3 at the latest (obviously depending on supporting cast some too).

- The chosen one gets the Lakers, arguably the most storied and sought after franchise in the NBA, to come get him. They win a title their first year and now he will get a huge deal and LeBron will eventually hand him the keys to the kingdom and we all know they will continue to find ways to put the right pieces around him, including star players via FA.
    Agreed.

But was Davis landing in New Orleans really a product of luck?

That franchise was owned at the time by the league, seeking a potential owner. Landing Davis exponentially increased the value of the franchise. Hmmm.........

That said, had Davis landed in Charlotte to team with Kemba Walker --- and I cannot believe that I'm about to type this --- I'm not sure that even as MJ the owner/executive would have screwed that up, and that's saying something.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

5. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    It makes sense that chemistry may not be great....or maybe better defined as a total lack of leadership on the roster. Kawhi is not a leader....was not in San Antonio or Toronto. PG was similar in that while he was often the best player on the team, he always had other players on the roster that served as the leader and when some of those guys were not around in Indiana near the end, the wheels began to come off. Clippers would really benefit if they could make moves to obtain someone like a Kyle Lowry.
    Absolutely correct about both Kawhi and George as far as vocal leadership. David West was the team leader for those contending Indiana teams featuring George. To that end, moving forward for the Clippers. if not Lowry, you have to figure Rondo's on their radar screen now, as they currently have zero true lead facilitating guards on their roster.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

7. Likes:

adkindo (10-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    They should trade all three lesser players. Leonard's preferential treatment is based on his All-NBA pedigree.

Harrell and Williams are decent secondary players, while Beverley's a second-division starting PG. All three are eminently replaceable.
    Couldn't agree more.

Especially in light of the following: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/10/...ers-kawhi.html

Lue will be aiming to bring more ball movement and a faster pace to the Clippers next season, sources tell Buha and Vardon. He also intends to switch up defensive coverages more often and give the club’s younger players – such as Ivica Zubac, Landry Shamet, Terance Mann and Mfiondu Kabengele – more playing time.

All three of those choices seem to be quality people, though I wonder how much of the modern game Van Gundy and Lucas are willing to embrace.

Silas is a favorite assistant of mine. He's been part of some quality staffs under some really, really good coaches.

With rumors about Westbrook, I could see Houston and New York making a deal wherein Randle, Dennis Smith, Jr., Mitchell Robinson, and Taj Gibson (for salary ballast) move to Houston for the enigmatic star.

The Rockets could then trot out a more traditional lineup that's still able to play fast and relatively small. (Randle would be primarily a second unit scorer, allowing Harden to play with Gordon, Covington, Tucker, and Robinson (or perhaps Gibson).
    I highly doubt that Barrett and Robinson are on the table for any potential Westbrook deal. But the 8th overall pick is another story.

Westbrook to NY in exchange for Randle, Payton, Gibson, Brazdeikis and the 8th pick, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I highly doubt that Barrett and Robinson are on the table for any potential Westbrook deal. But the 8th overall pick is another story.

Westbrook to NY in exchange for Randle, Payton, Gibson, Brazdeikis and the 8th pick, perhaps.
    I'd assume Houston would want to take a crack at unlocking Kevin Knox's game. And I could see them being interested in Bobby Portis. He's an interesting small ball 5/stretch 4 player.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Clearly to me that's the direction West is going with the crazy contract with Lue,...going all in with Leonard and to get him to stay for at least five more years. Can never argue that West doesn't know what he's doing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd assume Houston would want to take a crack at unlocking Kevin Knox's game. And I could see them being interested in Bobby Portis. He's an interesting small ball 5/stretch 4 player.
    Knox strikes me as the type of player who gets coaches and GMs fired.

He shows flashes for a game or two, then reverts to form for 10.

And while Portis may sometimes try on defense (emphasis on sometimes), he's a step slow to guard PF and not big enough or interested in banging enough to defend centers.

Agreed.

But was Davis landing in New Orleans really a product of luck?

That franchise was owned at the time by the league, seeking a potential owner. Landing Davis exponentially increased the value of the franchise. Hmmm.........

That said, had Davis landed in Charlotte to team with Kemba Walker --- and I cannot believe that I'm about to type this --- I'm not sure that even as MJ the owner/executive would have screwed that up, and that's saying something.
    Oh I totally agree that New Orleans was handed that pick just like I believe Cleveland was helped out after Lebron left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My All-NBA Underrated Free Agents

Looking for a solid player that won't break the bank or cost you talent? You've come to the right place. Each of the following will absolutely play well above his contract demands and help your team to victories, provide your coach with respect, and your GM/ front office with admiration at their foresight. Mark it down. These are sure things. (That may well be sarcasm.)

G Alec Burks
    Burks is a bucket-getter in a game that's evolved into that being the most important thing to be. He is a legitimate three-point threat too, with a career average at a respectable 36%. He'd be slumming it as a bench scorer but isn't likely to garner much more than the current MLE, if that. Burks can be the focal point of bench units or a fine tertiary scorer/ play maker on a playoff team (though he tends to turn the ball over a bit too much). He's not great defensively, but he's smart and he tries. Still just 29, Burks would be an excellent target for a team that needs shooting and a little veteran influence/ scoring punch off its bench.
    Best fit (personal success): Memphis
    Best fit (team success): Milwaukee

G John Konchar
    Here's a deep cut. The deepest, perhaps. Konchar played four years in IUPUI and put up good numbers. He then spent most of the year developing before he got a (small) shot in Memphis. He played out in extremely limited minutes. Konchar rebounds really well for his position and is capable of hitting the open jumper. He doesn't beat himself. I have no clue what he can do defensively, but guys like him tend to know their limitations. If he's on your team, he'll be ready to play and more than likely do the little things to help the team while he's in. Love to see him get a real shot at backup minutes somewhere. Memphis would be perfect, in fact, if they actually played him more often.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Atlanta
    Best fit (team success): LA Lakers

F Justin Holiday
    Holiday is older, but he's still entirely capable of being a big help in a variety of ways. Holiday had his best defensive season in four years in Indy last year and put up a 40% three-point percentage. If he's splitting time with another guy similar to him (Burks, for example), Holiday is capable of being a real plus for your team. He's steady and capable of big scoring nights-- and defending the other team's best wings. He'd shine as the primary bench scorer in a Lou Williams-like role or as a wing guy on a team with a good lead guard.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Minnesota
    Best fit (team success): Utah

F Serge Ibaka
    Super underrated, Ibaka had a near All-Star season this year... and still nobody seemed to notice. He can play either center or power forward, take on the opposing teams' best big, play outstanding help defense, block shots, rebound, AND hit threes at a well-above average rate. He could fit with just about any team out there. He's the guy Philly needed Al Horford to be last year.
    Best fit (individual numbers): New York
    Best fit (team success): Portland

C DeMarcus Cousins
    Nearly forgotten after a year and a half out due to three injuries to his lower extremities, Cousins is a massive gamble. No, check that. He's not. Because there's no way any team would gamble much cash on him due to that injury history. When he's right, Cousins is a game-wrecking, All-NBA type who is a mismatch for just about everyone. He can shoot, pass, and score. Defensively... he can shoot, pass, and score. And rebound. And fight. If you want a true five-out squad and still have some muscle underneath when called for, Cousins is a fun call.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Washington
    Best fit (team success): Miami

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    Oh I totally agree that New Orleans was handed that pick just like I believe Cleveland was helped out after Lebron left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, the Clippers helped out the Cavs the most after LeBron left by dealing them the pick that became Kyrie Irving in a salary dump just 4 months before the '11 draft. That draft itself was crazy, as evidenced by the draft positions of several future stars/solid rotation players: http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2011.htm

While it certainly raised eyebrows when the Cavs ultimately won the draft lottery again in '13 and '14, even though they blew the '13 top selection, I never bought the theory presented by some - and I'm not suggesting that you believe this - that those picks were granted as a means to entice LeBron to return to Cleveland.

Even though LeBron returned to Cleveland in '14, I find it hard to believe that the league itself would not have preferred that he had remained in Miami. As one of the most, if not the, polarizing teams of all time -- NBA fans either loved or hated them, no in between -- the Heatles were an NBA ratings bonanza / cash cow.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-18-2020 at 01:17 AM.

My All-NBA Underrated Free Agents

Looking for a solid player that won't break the bank or cost you talent? You've come to the right place. Each of the following will absolutely play well above his contract demands and help your team to victories, provide your coach with respect, and your GM/ front office with admiration at their foresight. Mark it down. These are sure things. (That may well be sarcasm.)

G Alec Burks
    Burks is a bucket-getter in a game that's evolved into that being the most important thing to be. He is a legitimate three-point threat too, with a career average at a respectable 36%. He'd be slumming it as a bench scorer but isn't likely to garner much more than the current MLE, if that. Burks can be the focal point of bench units or a fine tertiary scorer/ play maker on a playoff team (though he tends to turn the ball over a bit too much). He's not great defensively, but he's smart and he tries. Still just 29, Burks would be an excellent target for a team that needs shooting and a little veteran influence/ scoring punch off its bench.
    Best fit (personal success): Memphis
    Best fit (team success): Milwaukee

G John Konchar
    Here's a deep cut. The deepest, perhaps. Konchar played four years in IUPUI and put up good numbers. He then spent most of the year developing before he got a (small) shot in Memphis. He played out in extremely limited minutes. Konchar rebounds really well for his position and is capable of hitting the open jumper. He doesn't beat himself. I have no clue what he can do defensively, but guys like him tend to know their limitations. If he's on your team, he'll be ready to play and more than likely do the little things to help the team while he's in. Love to see him get a real shot at backup minutes somewhere. Memphis would be perfect, in fact, if they actually played him more often.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Atlanta
    Best fit (team success): LA Lakers

F Justin Holiday
    Holiday is older, but he's still entirely capable of being a big help in a variety of ways. Holiday had his best defensive season in four years in Indy last year and put up a 40% three-point percentage. If he's splitting time with another guy similar to him (Burks, for example), Holiday is capable of being a real plus for your team. He's steady and capable of big scoring nights-- and defending the other team's best wings. He'd shine as the primary bench scorer in a Lou Williams-like role or as a wing guy on a team with a good lead guard.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Minnesota
    Best fit (team success): Utah

F Serge Ibaka
    Super underrated, Ibaka had a near All-Star season this year... and still nobody seemed to notice. He can play either center or power forward, take on the opposing teams' best big, play outstanding help defense, block shots, rebound, AND hit threes at a well-above average rate. He could fit with just about any team out there. He's the guy Philly needed Al Horford to be last year.
    Best fit (individual numbers): New York
    Best fit (team success): Portland

C DeMarcus Cousins
    Nearly forgotten after a year and a half out due to three injuries to his lower extremities, Cousins is a massive gamble. No, check that. He's not. Because there's no way any team would gamble much cash on him due to that injury history. When he's right, Cousins is a game-wrecking, All-NBA type who is a mismatch for just about everyone. He can shoot, pass, and score. Defensively... he can shoot, pass, and score. And rebound. And fight. If you want a true five-out squad and still have some muscle underneath when called for, Cousins is a fun call.
    Best fit (individual numbers): Washington
    Best fit (team success): Miami
    Thanks for the fun read. And I agree with your main point of the aforementioned players exceeding their contract demands. A couple points, though..

1) As I understand it, the Pacers intend to make every effort to resign Justin Holiday, as they do not own a first round pick and its guaranteed salary cap slot/hold, this year. Unless there's some qualifier for this list of the players signing with new teams that I overlooked, I don't see how Justin Holiday's best fit for team success is Utah, rather than Indiana.

2) First, including John Konchar in this list was/is a very astute move. But I must point out that John Konchar attended Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne (now Purdue Fort Wayne or PFW), not IUPUI. Go Mastodons!

1) As I understand it, the Pacers intend to make every effort to resign Justin Holiday, as they do not own a first round pick and its guaranteed salary cap slot/hold, this year. Unless there's some qualifier for this list of the players signing with new teams that I overlooked, I don't see how Justin Holiday's best fit for team success is Utah, rather than Indiana.
    The Pacers have Oladipo, Lamb, Warren, Brogdon, and the youngest Holiday in the fold. The elder Holiday might see how little playing time he might get and turn to other options. In Utah, he can take over the Jordan Clarkson role of instant offense off the bench, playing with Conley, Spider, Ingles (in a lesser role), and Bogdanovich. (He would also likely be part of the finishing squad, with Bogie playing the hybrid PF spot Quin Snyder often breaks out.)

2) First, including John Konchar in this list was/is a very astute move. But I must point out that John Konchar attended Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne (now Purdue Fort Wayne or PFW), not IUPUI. Go Mastodons!
    Meh, all those small Indiana colleges are the same. (My bad.)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

The Pacers have Oladipo, Lamb, Warren, Brogdon, and the youngest Holiday in the fold. The elder Holiday might see how little playing time he might get and turn to other options. In Utah, he can take over the Jordan Clarkson role of instant offense off the bench, playing with Conley, Spider, Ingles (in a lesser role), and Bogdanovich. (He would also likely be part of the finishing squad, with Bogie playing the hybrid PF spot Quin Snyder often breaks out.)

Meh, all those small Indiana colleges are the same. (My bad.)
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Turn Off Ads?