Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Crosley Field Pictures

Re: Old Crosley Field Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    The Expos logo is, and always will be, awesome.

I always thought they had the coolest uniforms.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Likes:

Always Red (03-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I've already contributed here, but the atmosphere was so different in Riverfront than Crosley. As a kid, I was amazed at how close the field and the players were. When entering Riverfront, it felt like the field were a mile away, even when sitting in field level seats. Crosley was so intimate. I remember one time sitting along the first base line , and seeing Mike Lacoss (spelling) warming up for game so close it was almost like you could touch him. You can imagine my first trip to Riverfront in the summer of what? 1970? It was like going to New York City after getting used to small town. I enjoyed it because I was a Reds fan, but when they tore down the outfield seats and put a wall up, it was better. My first trip to GABP brought some of the memories back. AT Crosley, you could get a Hudy or a Burger (even though I was too young to have one), a hot dog and the ushers in straw hats and vests were like your uncle next door. GABP had an elevator and escalators, and picking the prime seats, it just wasn't the same. Too far away. But the Montgomery Inn sandwich was far superior to the old Reds hot dog. I look back and wish baseball was always in the Crosley era. Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Wally Post, Gordy Coleman, Joey Jay, Bob Purkey, Jim O'Toole, and Jim Maloney were always part of the family. The team competed, and had a great 1961, and competitive for awhile. Jay lived in WV and Purkey was my favorite. That's Crosley to me, and all the great teams at Riverfront didn't seem to live up to that, but as a Reds fan, I didn't care. It was the Reds.

I envy those in Chicago and Boston because they kept their iconic stadiums (even Dodger Field where I have attended a few games), but progress came and wiped out my memories and tastes changed. As I age, I've learned to really like GABP. But it's just not the same.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

5. Likes:

Always Red (03-28-2019),Bob Borkowski (03-28-2019),cumberlandreds (03-28-2019),goreds2 (03-28-2019),westofyou (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I've already contributed here, but the atmosphere was so different in Riverfront than Crosley. As a kid, I was amazed at how close the field and the players were. When entering Riverfront, it felt like the field were a mile away, even when sitting in field level seats. Crosley was so intimate. I remember one time sitting along the first base line , and seeing Mike Lacoss (spelling) warming up for game so close it was almost like you could touch him. You can imagine my first trip to Riverfront in the summer of what? 1970? It was like going to New York City after getting used to small town. I enjoyed it because I was a Reds fan, but when they tore down the outfield seats and put a wall up, it was better. My first trip to GABP brought some of the memories back. AT Crosley, you could get a Hudy or a Burger (even though I was too young to have one), a hot dog and the ushers in straw hats and vests were like your uncle next door. GABP had an elevator and escalators, and picking the prime seats, it just wasn't the same. Too far away. But the Montgomery Inn sandwich was far superior to the old Reds hot dog. I look back and wish baseball was always in the Crosley era. Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson, Wally Post, Gordy Coleman, Joey Jay, Bob Purkey, Jim O'Toole, and Jim Maloney were always part of the family. The team competed, and had a great 1961, and competitive for awhile. Jay lived in WV and Purkey was my favorite. That's Crosley to me, and all the great teams at Riverfront didn't seem to live up to that, but as a Reds fan, I didn't care. It was the Reds.

I envy those in Chicago and Boston because they kept their iconic stadiums (even Dodger Field where I have attended a few games), but progress came and wiped out my memories and tastes changed. As I age, I've learned to really like GABP. But it's just not the same.
    I grew up going to Tiger Stadium, my 1st trip to Riverfront was the Kid Glove game in 1976 vs the Tigers.. who were my AL team. The park was really odd, I had been to Lions and Tigers games and the smell was cigars, beer and men... this was different, it was cleaner.. it was "family time" this is when the money really stared to come in.. sell the product to everyone in the family instead of one guy... it was different, because they wanted it to be

Attachment 14728

7. Likes:

Always Red (03-30-2019),cumberlandreds (03-30-2019),goreds2 (03-30-2019),Roy Tucker (03-30-2019)

Crosley Field in 1964. That's I-75 running by it. From the Tweet it said people were allowed to park on 75 while it was under construction. I can remember when I was really young riding up by Crosley on 75. It had closed by that time and it looked very lonely just sitting there.

Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

Cherokee (04-23-2019),NC Reds (05-15-2019),Ron Madden (04-05-2019)

BP at Crosley Field. No idea on the year but it looks like it could be one of the last seasons.

Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

Always Red (04-25-2019),Bob Borkowski (04-23-2019),Cherokee (04-23-2019),goreds2 (04-23-2019),HokieRed (04-23-2019),NC Reds (05-15-2019),reds77 (04-23-2019)

Was there a glass backstop? I went to one game at Crosley in 1970 when I was 5. It was pretty overwhelming; a neighbor and Post/Time Star sports reporter took me with his kid and we sat behind the third base dugout. The crowd seemed pretty large and what I recall was cigar smoke in the concourse and maybe a big plexiglass backstop along the wall behind the plate. But I've never seen a picture of it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-24-2019)

Seeing the Wiedemann sign down the left field line reminds of a story. Waite Hoyt was interviewing Leo Cardenas after a Reds win. He asked Leo a question about Whitey Wietelmann who was then a coach for the Reds. Cardenas replied that sometimes after a game on a hot day he drank one.

15. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-24-2019),goreds2 (04-24-2019),Number_Fourteen (04-23-2019),Ron Madden (04-23-2019),Roy Tucker (04-24-2019),WVRedsFan (04-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Was there a glass backstop? I went to one game at Crosley in 1970 when I was 5. It was pretty overwhelming; a neighbor and Post/Time Star sports reporter took me with his kid and we sat behind the third base dugout. The crowd seemed pretty large and what I recall was cigar smoke in the concourse and maybe a big plexiglass backstop along the wall behind the plate. But I've never seen a picture of it.
    I remember the backstop very well. I also remember the smell. Kind of a mixture of smoke and man-smell. As a kid, it was marvelous.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The Crosley Field scoreboard from July 30, 1967. That is Pete Rose just below the scoreboard.

Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

Always Red (04-25-2019),Bob Borkowski (04-24-2019),Cherokee (04-24-2019),goreds2 (04-24-2019),NC Reds (05-15-2019),Number_Fourteen (04-30-2019)

cubs order banks beckert williams santo pretty good

- - - Updated - - -

sorry kessinger first banks fifth

- - - Updated - - -

it might have been bill hands vs gerry arrigo?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Good ole Riverfront Stadium. I know it was a plastic stereo type stadium of the 70's but it was the first stadium I was ever in. I have very good memories of going here with family and friends. Although it no longer exist it will hold a special place for me as long as I live.

Riverfront was a terrible park for many reasons, but damnit if it doesn't hold a really special place in my heart.
    Among countless memories, I sold cotton candy there as a 17 year old in 1999. I was probably at the stadium for 60 or so home games that magical year.
    Beanie baby giveaways were the craze and the beanie baby fan/cotton candy fan Venn diagram was basically a complete circle.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

21. Likes:

Always Red (04-25-2019),Bob Borkowski (04-24-2019),Cherokee (04-24-2019),cumberlandreds (04-24-2019),goreds2 (04-24-2019)

I have not read all 33 pages so this may be old information. Just started reading "Before the Machine, the Story of the 1961...Reds" by Mark Schmetzer; and it included information on Crosley Field in 1961-there were 9,800 box seats at $3.00($25.50 2019$) for adults, $2.25 for children and $2 on Ladies day, 16,000 grand stand seats were $2.25($19 2019) and the bleacher were $1.50.
    Night games began at 8:05 and night doubleheaders at 6. The book has numerous photos of both the Reds and Crosley Field. Never realized Hutchinson was only 45 when he died since even on his 1961 card he looked a lot older almost as shocking as LBJ being only 60 in 1968.

23. Likes:

Chip R (04-25-2019),goreds2 (04-25-2019),Number_Fourteen (05-16-2019),Ron Madden (04-24-2019),Roy Tucker (04-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbroznan View Post
    I have not read all 33 pages so this may be old information. Just started reading "Before the Machine, the Story of the 1961...Reds" by Mark Schmetzer; and it included information on Crosley Field in 1961-there were 9,800 box seats at $3.00($25.50 2019$) for adults, $2.25 for children and $2 on Ladies day, 16,000 grand stand seats were $2.25($19 2019) and the bleacher were $1.50.
    Night games began at 8:05 and night doubleheaders at 6. The book has numerous photos of both the Reds and Crosley Field. Never realized Hutchinson was only 45 when he died since even on his 1961 card he looked a lot older almost as shocking as LBJ being only 60 in 1968.
    That’s a good book. An era I didn’t know much about.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

If you watched Mike Lacoss warm up it had to be at Riverfront, not Crosley. Lacoss didn't even play in the minors until 1974 and got to the Reds in '78. However you probably could have been just as close to him warming up at Riverfront as you could have been at Crosley since the bullpen was right next to the stands down the right field line.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    There was a plexiglass backstop at one time. Im not sure what year(s) but I have seen a picture and really you wouldn't notice it unless you were looking for it. The pic I saw the caption said to notice the reflection in it otherwise I would have never noticed it.

Turn Off Ads?