Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 5/9/14 Rockies @ Reds (Votto hitting 4th)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: 5/9/14 Rockies @ Reds (Votto hitting 4th)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I know a lot of people, myself included, that like Thom.
    My perception is that that's the minority opinion by a long shot. Take it for what it's worth. Add in his unnecessary disparaging of the team's best players, which I'm sure they "appreciate", and I don't see any reason why he should continue to be employed.

2. Likes:

gilpdawg (05-10-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The only thing I've ever liked about Thom is when he went all straight shooter on Mike Lincoln not realizing they were back from commercial. That was funny as hell.

5. Likes:

gilpdawg (05-10-2014),kbrake (05-09-2014),Tom Servo (05-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    My perception is that that's the minority opinion by a long shot. Take it for what it's worth. Add in his unnecessary disparaging of the team's best players, which I'm sure they "appreciate", and I don't see any reason why he should continue to be employed.
    Unnecessary why? He can't have an opinion? He can't be critical on a broadcast? Since when are those prerequisites for employment?

I find what he says is tame compared to what's on this board every day. I don't agree with Thom on everything, but at least I know it's not for a lack of caring. Grande was annoying at times because he was always slobbering over St. Louis. I still liked him too, but at least Thom does it because he cares.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

7. Likes:

Falcon7 (05-09-2014)

I know a lot of people, myself included, that like Thom.
    Permabanned from RaisorZone!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

That was a helluva game tonight. Was out eating dinner during Votto's bomb. The place went ape. Not a sports bar or anything, either. Typical restaurant with TVs. Fun to see.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Thom has a great voice, the problem can be at times that he looooves hearing it.

All he ever talks about are Phillips & Votto's RBIs and yet fails to mention they've never had anyone on base in front of them to drive in. He just beats stuff into the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Thom has a great voice, the problem can be at times that he looooves hearing it.

All he ever talks about are Phillips & Votto's RBIs and yet fails to mention they've never had anyone on base in front of them to drive in. He just beats stuff into the ground.
    Guy's got pro skills, but has just become so whiney on pet-peeve topics. Just beats them into the ground, like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Permabanned from RaisorZone!
    I've heard rumors your permabans are rarely permanent. In fact, I saw yesterday you unbanned Larkin Fan just two posts after blacklisting him.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post

Oh I certainly agree he doesn't know when to drop some subjects, but I enjoy his play by play in all sports, baseball included.

Great job Joey, way to be aggressive, thought for sure he would take a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
    Great job Joey, way to be aggressive, thought for sure he would take a couple.
    He did. He took three before swinging at a gopherball.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

Raisor (05-10-2014),Tom Servo (05-10-2014)

If it's anyone on the team, and you get a fastball down the gut, I think you should be swinging. Taking an extremely hittable strike just because it's 3-0 is a waste.
    I love baseball so much
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

19. Likes:

Brutus (05-10-2014)

My biggest problem with Thom/Marty, is that I find them too often to be pompous, arrogant, blowhards, who act with just complete disdain at any failures the Reds players have. Treating them as a personal assault against humanity.

Just call the game. Allow the fan to feel their own emotions please.

21. Likes:

gilpdawg (05-10-2014),Larkin Fan (05-10-2014),Raisor (05-10-2014),Tom Servo (05-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    My biggest problem with Thom/Marty, is that I find them too often to be pompous, arrogant, blowhards, who act with just complete disdain at any failures the Reds players have. Treating them as a personal assault against humanity.

Just call the game. Allow the fan to feel their own emotions please.
    Very few get to Marty's stature in baseball "just calling the game." He's earned a right to be a little arrogant. Doesn't mean he's always right, but the majority of Reds fans deeply appreciate his style.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Very few get to Marty's stature in baseball "just calling the game." He's earned a right to be a little arrogant. Doesn't mean he's always right, but the majority of Reds fans deeply appreciate his style.

I'm not trying to degrade his accomplishments, but I would venture a guess, that the Reds fans who "deeply appreciate his style", are thinking fondly of a version of Marty that is not there anymore.

A lot of fans can close their eyes and hear him calling games from 40 years ago, not what he turns out night after night nowadays.

When he does decide to focus on the action, he can be outstanding from time to time still. But when he acts as though every runner stranded on base, that he treats as though someone has committed a crime against humanity. Is when I personally, find him to be insufferable.

24. Likes:

Larkin Fan (05-10-2014),Raisor (05-10-2014),RedsBaron (05-10-2014),Tom Servo (05-10-2014)

Turn Off Ads?