Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Re: Cincinnati soccer/MLS

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wish the New England Revolution would fire their idiot manager and bring in a true pro.
    Hey, from my lips to Bob Kraft's ears. Brad Friedel's been put in the ejector seat and launched. He was terrible.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Yachtzee (05-09-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I didnt know this till yesterday but if the new stadium is not complete by January 8th 2020 (I believe thats what I heard, but its some time in January 2020) the soccer team owes MLS $50 Million in fines.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I didnt know this till yesterday but if the new stadium is not complete by January 8th 2020 (I believe thats what I heard, but its some time in January 2020) the soccer team owes MLS $50 Million in fines.
    That literally cannot be right. They've said from the outset that it would be ready for 2021. So why, exactly, would they have a deal where they start paying fines next January on a stadium that won't be ready until 2021?
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

“FC Cincinnati stadium will break ground Dec. 19, open March 2021”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...21/1694381002/

Now if you’re talking about the completion of Stargel Stadium, replacing the Taft High School field that was torn up to make room for the new stadium, you may be right. But driving by it yesterday, it appears that it will be ready for the start of high school football practice this August.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    “FC Cincinnati stadium will break ground Dec. 19, open March 2021”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...21/1694381002/

Now if you’re talking about the completion of Stargel Stadium, replacing the Taft High School field that was torn up to make room for the new stadium, you may be right. But driving by it yesterday, it appears that it will be ready for the start of high school football practice this August.
    That makes more sense, they said 2020 on the radio, but they could have misspoke. I doubt it is done by 2021 though.

Saw a rumor that FCC wants to hire a new GM to hire the new coach. Taylor Twellman is also reporting Bruce Arena might become coach, GM or both of the Revs.

Saw a rumor that FCC wants to hire a new GM to hire the new coach. Taylor Twellman is also reporting Bruce Arena might become coach, GM or both of the Revs.
    Never understood why they went into the MLS with Berding acting as a GM. Berding hitched himself to a winning gig, but the man doesn't have the requisite soccer knowledge to be in the position he is in.

10. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-14-2019),M2 (05-14-2019)

I think that's five straight games where Portland has given up only one goal. 3-1-1 in those.

They finish their 12-game road opener next week with probably their toughest game, at Philadelphia. They have 11 points in these 11 games. Refurbished Providence Park is looking good.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Should be interesting to see what happens with the Revs now with Il Bruce in charge.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Should be interesting to see what happens with the Revs now with Il Bruce in charge.
    I hope a lot of the guys on the roster have early termination deals where they're renting.

I hope a lot of the guys on the roster have early termination deals where they're renting.
    I think the Summer Transfer Window should be interesting for a number of teams. I can imagine the Revs and the Crew making some moves to remake their squads. We've already seen it a bit with Bezbatchenko for the Crew right at the end of the last transfer window. They made some good moves that appear to have improved the roster, but give them flexibility to make more moves in the summer window. With the Revs, Arena knows the league well enough that I don't see him sitting on his hands in that first transfer window just to get his bearings.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Last night I saw MnUFC beat the Crew 1-0. The game was not as close as the score would seem to indicate: Minnesota controlled possession and gave no space to the opposition in their defensive third. Cincinnati is not the only Ohio team with a problem scoring goals. The Crew had one good chance the whole game, a Higuain shot from outside the penalty box that beat the goalie but hit the far post. Higuain and someone fast on the right wing (Robinho?) were the only Crew players asking questions of the loons.
    In general the team often looked frustrated and lacking conviction in their attacking movements. Higuain was the player that stood out for me, as he continued to fight to find openings in the defense.

The guy that scored the only goal, Ethan Finlay, played for the Crew for a few years ago and he looked very motivated and it showed in his effectively aggressive play - he was my Man of the Match.
    Last edited by Betterread; 05-19-2019 at 12:37 PM.

16. Likes:

schmidty622 (05-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I think that's five straight games where Portland has given up only one goal. 3-1-1 in those.

They finish their 12-game road opener next week with probably their toughest game, at Philadelphia. They have 11 points in these 11 games. Refurbished Providence Park is looking good.
    They hald Philly to one goal, too, while giving them only their 2nd loss at home on the year with a 3-1 win.

Portland is set up pretty well heading into the back half of the season as they hold their home opener in PGE Park in their next game.

"CHESTER, Pa. — Steve Clark has only been Brian Fernandez’s teammate for less than a month. But he’s seen more than enough in that time to use some colorful terms to describe the Portland Timbers’ new Designated Player.

“He’s relentless,” Clark said from the visitor’s locker room after Fernandez’s two goals lifted the Timbers to a 3-1 road win over the Philadelphia Union on Saturday. “He’s a junkyard dog. I’m serious about that.”

How so?

“He’s a maniac,” the Timbers goalkeeper continued. “He’s scoring all the time. He just doesn’t stop. He has one speed: score.”

Fernandez put that on full display at Talen Energy Stadium in Week 13, opening the scoring in the 31st minute on a back-post header and adding his second five minutes later by helping to start a counterattack he then finished, with assists from Diego Chara and Diego Valeri.

“If we can create space and have possession, just enough for him to have a little bit of space, he’s going to score,” Clark said. “You saw what he can do out there today.”

Fernandez — who now has three MLS goals in 115 minutes since signing a big deal with Portland from Mexican club Nexaca — credited his new teammates for the quick adjustment, particularly fellow Argentines Valeri and Sebastian Blanco."
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-26-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

18. Likes:

Betterread (05-28-2019)

New stadium fight brewing?

More problems for FC Cincinnati stadium: A possible glitch over tax incentives...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ed/1244487001/

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    New stadium fight brewing?

More problems for FC Cincinnati stadium: A possible glitch over tax incentives...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ed/1244487001/
    Cincinnati politics. They'll get it worked out

21. Likes:

Chip R (05-28-2019)

Turn Off Ads?