Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Cliff Lee

Re: Cliff Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Alonso, Francisco, Wood.

Get it done Walt.
    That's a lot to give up for a two month rental, that you have no chance to sign in the offseason.

I would rather Walt put together a package for Haren and Drew.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    That's a lot to give up for a two month rental, that you have no chance to sign in the offseason.

Remember, we'd get a 1st Rd pick and comp pick when he walks.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'm not in favor of messing with the everyday 8. Acquiring Drew in the offseason is fine with me, but I stated yesterday in the other thread that I think breaking the team chemistry by getting rid of OCab (or benching him) would, IMO, greatly hurt the team.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That 1st round pick isn't 100% guaranteed though.

Look at Lee's numbers In GABP before selling the farm to get him, 4.91 ERA over 5 starts.

That 1st round pick isn't 100% guaranteed though.
    Basically the best way to think of it is two picks between 15 and 60. Decent, but odds are they won't have the same value as Alonso by himself. Still something to consider when evaluating any trade for Lee.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Replacing a player with a better player is not going to disrupt team chemistry.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I'm not in favor of messing with the everyday 8. Acquiring Drew in the offseason is fine with me, but I stated yesterday in the other thread that I think breaking the team chemistry by getting rid of OCab (or benching him) would, IMO, greatly hurt the team.
    How do you KNOW that Cabrerra is essential to team chemistry even if chemistry is a big factor in the team's success. Wouldn't improving talent at a position increase the teams chances of winning? Wouldn't that improve team chemistry?

Frankly, I don't understand what these assumptions about certain players effecting team moral are based on. Am I missing something?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Essentially we would be trading 6 years of Travis Wood, 6 years of Yonder Alonso and 6 years of Juan Francisco for 2 months (maybe 3) of Cliff Lee, the 40th pick and 50th pick of the 2011 Draft.

Take Wood out and put another pitcher in there not named Chapman and I will be on board.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    How do you KNOW that Cabrerra is essential to team chemistry even if chemistry is a big factor in the team's success. Wouldn't improving talent at a position increase the teams chances of winning? Wouldn't that improve team chemistry?

Frankly, I don't understand what these assumptions about certain players effecting team moral are based on. Am I missing something?
    The fact that every quote coming from a Reds player's mouth this season about the season has said Scott Rolen and Orlando Cabrera. The most talented teams don't always win. The talented teams that play together the best do.

If we traded for Haren and Drew would I be upset? Not at all, I really like both players. I'm just not willing to risk it right now.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Essentially we would be trading 6 years of Travis Wood, 6 years of Yonder Alonso and 6 years of Juan Francisco for 2 months (maybe 3) of Cliff Lee, the 40th pick and 50th pick of the 2011 Draft.

Take Wood out and put another pitcher in there not named Chapman and I will be on board.
    Exactly how I feel. Wood seems to be a good fit for GABP and to have turned a corner this season. Anyway, I think the M's want bats more than arms.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Seems like the last few yrs the Reds have figured out they needed to build through the farm, as they are unable to sign big name free agents. Doesn't make sense to deviate from that now with a two month rental. I have no problem bringing in Oswalt or Haren as we can control those two for a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

The three I threw out there were to see what the reaction would be. I'm not positive I'd do it, mainly because of Wood, as you said. I have thought he was underrated for years.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I've seen midseason deal after midsesason deal blow up in the face of the Cincinnati Reds. I honestly cannot remember the last time the team added a player who did anything remotely close to what the team needed / wanted them to do. It seems like these things always backfire for this franchise.

Am I the only one who expects Lee, if he were to come to Cincinnati, to immediately become ineffective and post an over-4.00 ERA the rest of the way? It just seems that's how this story would end.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Maybe I'm just cynical, but I've seen midseason deal after midsesason deal blow up in the face of the Cincinnati Reds. I honestly cannot remember the last time the team added a player who did anything remotely close to what the team needed / wanted them to do. It seems like these things always backfire for this franchise.
    Scott Rolen?

Turn Off Ads?