Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Bengals Part II: The Chase is On?

Here - kickers are warming up. Confirm McPherson kicks a nice ball.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

lol - yeah - the ball explodes off McPherson’s foot. Definitely confirmed.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

5. Likes:

Reds Fanatic (08-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Marvin really tailed off at the end of his career. And whenever they had lulls with Marvin as head coach is was the result of a couple of bad drafts back to back.

I know some people are high on Tobin, but there have been some massive misses as late. He also has failed to do a decent job of filling in the roster in the later rounds.

I do think Marvin had a ton of pull in his tenure, more than Taylor has had to this point. It may have been more 51/49 Marvin/Tobin with Marvin having final say so. And for a decade it worked really well.

I don't know why the Bengals haven't gone hard OLine since the drafting of Burrow. To some extent Mike Brown has a history of not paying Guards in this league, but it confuses me they try and go cheap in order to keep their franchise QB protected.
    They've drafted 4 offensive linemen since taking Burrow. How many do you want them to take? I'm much more frustrated that they didn't sign a legit IOL than what they've done in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    They've drafted 4 offensive linemen since taking Burrow. How many do you want them to take? I'm much more frustrated that they didn't sign a legit IOL than what they've done in the draft.
    That was definitely the miss, particularly at RG, and it's not like it took hindsight to realize this.

Chase with two drops in two targets.

Chase with three drops in three targets.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Chase with three drops in three targets.
    Kid's got some alligator arms...

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Kid's got some alligator arms...
    Landon Collins makes you do that...

However the drops are a concern...trying to play too fast and overthinking...plus he is working his way back into playing after taking a year off. Want to see how he does with burrow in there next week.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Some chuckled a bit when the Bengals drafted a kicker in the 5th…this kid is the real deal.

It was next to impossible for me to tell anything about the o-line from my vantage point. One observation and then some questions for you all:

1. The observation - in terms of pressure -WFT did, at least, NOT have any jailbreaks or obvious pressure on Allen when our #1 o-line was in and, for one drive, the WFT #1 d-line stayed in against our 2s and still, no pressure. To my eye, Jonah Willams did a great job against Chase Young in passing situations. Am I right in those obs?
    2. Now, the questions - I think Carmen looked okay in power run blocks - did that get commented on or did you all see that too?
    3. Felt like Fred Johnson did well when he came in, in terms of pass blocking, same question - did that get commented on or did you all see that too? I want to feel okay about swing tackle.
    4. Was the holding call on Spain on the initial screen pass that might have jump started our offense legit? There was no replay in stadium and it apparently happened well into that play since the penalty just put them back where they started. Mostly curious because it was really far downfield for Spain to have gotten.

Sat around some really great WFT fans. Had a really nice evening watching the game with them. Will be rooting for WFT in that division, ferocious defense, really like Rivera at head coach, and hard not to pull for Fitzpatrick.

Our defensive line pressure was noteworthy live. What is harder to pick up watching on TV vs live was just how well the defense is flowing to the ball all over the field right now. It looks very different than what I saw last year (I was at the Jax home win). Each unit that came on all clearly seems to have bought into the system and is on the same page with each other. I will be curious what you all see when they get to PBS and you can go next week.

The Awuzie pass break-up of McLaurin in the end zone happened right near me (I was on the 15 on that side). Awuzie was absolutely blanketing McLaurin off the line and stayed perfectly in step with him the whole way. It was super ****ing impressive. I don't know that WJIII ever did better in his years here. After all the reports in camp, the PBU of the ball to Antonio Brown last week, and now this, starting to dream a little bit that Awuzie might actually be a legit CB1. He looks the part.

See previous post just above this for my o-line ob and questions. Again, I thought the lack of Chase Young getting anywhere near Allen was a really good sign that Jonah did well on him. I tried to watch a few plays just on that battle and it looked like Johah did great.

Have no idea who blew the assignment on the first play of the game on the long TE completion, but clearly someone screwed up. After that, there was nothing but tight well communicated coverage. Was that Trae Wayans with the good open field tackle I think to stop WFT short leading to the eventual 3rd and 4th and 1 stops on the second drive? #26? It was a really nice play.

Hodge had some noticeable burst when he first came in. He clearly can run a tight compact arc in rush. Fell off a bit as second quarter wore on - maybe WFT paid more attention to him. Dunno.

Hubbard and Hendickson just with good disciplined pressure but also disciplined in setting the edge. That jumped out.

Tyler Shelvin is a ****ing load. A LOAD. Looked to me like WFT was having to put two guys on him to deal with him at spots. Let others run free to carriers.

Trying to think what else. Oh yeah, McPherson. I mentioned earlier in the thread and will re-mention here - absolute cannon. Was a joy to watch him warm-up. And then we saw the easy power in the game on the 50-yarder. You what was really REALLY weird? Realizing when they got to the 39 of WFT for the first time that they were in field goal range. Literally, we now have an offense that can get to about 56 yard fg range and you like your chances. This is what Ravens fans have when they watch their O knowing they have Tucker. I think we might have that now. Sorta giddy about this.

I know the coaches wanted to see Evans run the ball and show he could get north south, but given how hard it was to move the ball in general, I wish the staff had given him a few pass routes given he is so good at that. He did show nice burst on those two runs on their one TD drive running the ball.

I know Perine is considered a lock but...he just doesn't do much for me. Are we sure he's better than J. Patrick?
    Last edited by membengal; 08-21-2021 at 09:12 AM.

15. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-21-2021),RichRed (08-21-2021)

This partially answers my question about the line - at least the starting group:

Andrew Russell
    @PFF_AndrewR
    ·
    6m
    The Bengals offensive line pass-blocking grades for starters:

Williams (LT) - 80.2
    Spain (LG) - 79.1
    Price (C) - 76.4
    XSF (RG) - 79.1
    Reiff (RT) - 75.8

Yep, that’ll do.

17. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-21-2021),RiverRat13 (08-21-2021)

I only saw a few minutes of the first hslf but saw nothing noteworthy except Chase’s drops, but I didn’t see if all of them were easily catchable.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It was next to impossible for me to tell anything about the o-line from my vantage point. One observation and then some questions for you all:

1. The observation - in terms of pressure -WFT did, at least, NOT have any jailbreaks or obvious pressure on Allen when our #1 o-line was in and, for one drive, the WFT #1 d-line stayed in against our 2s and still, no pressure. To my eye, Jonah Willams did a great job against Chase Young in passing situations. Am I right in those obs?
    2. Now, the questions - I think Carmen looked okay in power run blocks - did that get commented on or did you all see that too?
    3. Felt like Fred Johnson did well when he came in, in terms of pass blocking, same question - did that get commented on or did you all see that too? I want to feel okay about swing tackle.
    4. Was the holding call on Spain on the initial screen pass that might have jump started our offense legit? There was no replay in stadium and it apparently happened well into that play since the penalty just put them back where they started. Mostly curious because it was really far downfield for Spain to have gotten.
    I thought Carmen looked quick and powerful on one of the run plays in the first half. The play didn't amount to much due to backside disruption in the backfield but Carmen was already on the second level when it was stopped. I think I also noticed him fire off slowly (missed the snap count?) on the next play. Kinda tuned it out in general after that. It was a pretty boring affair.

1. The Defense is much improved...Hubbard and Hendrickson on the edge is scary...DJ Reader is playing well too. Love the kid Hodge he teamed well with Sample.
    2. Carmen looks to be getting better with more reps he worked in with the 2nd team last night and gets better the more I see him.
    3. Fred Johnson and Issiah Prince stood out on the 2nd unit as well
    4. Jaques Patrick > Perrine...
    5. I want to see Burrow get Chase going next week.

Turn Off Ads?