Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    It's the 40th anniversary of the blizzard of '78.

http://www.weather.gov/iln/19780126
    Gotta love all the black & white pictures...like we didn't have color cameras back then...

2. Turn Off Ads?

What do ya all think about hurricane Ian? All we're hearing is how strong it is but I think there's good news that they're not really emphasizing. It's moving at 30 mph. That means it'll move through quickly and that's a good thing

It’s only moving about 10mph currently and is forecasted to slow down a bit after it makes landfall before ultimately picking up speed as it moves north.

That’s about an average speed for a storm, but there is going to be a ton of rainfall and flooding inland from this one.

I bet fellow RZer Dom is glad he got out (of central Florida) when he did...

Ian is the 5th most powerful storm to ever hit the US.

It's going to cause historic flooding.

If it had hit Tampa, as it looked like for a while, it would be game over.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I moved to Sarasota in the beginning of July. Wind is crazy right now and we aren’t close to as bad as Venice and port Charlotte.😳
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-28-2022),goreds2 (09-28-2022),Sea Ray (09-28-2022)

A longtime Tucker family favorite has been Sanibel Island. I fear it is getting clobbered.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    A longtime Tucker family favorite has been Sanibel Island. I fear it is getting clobbered.

It is.

The storm surge took everyone by surprise.

There are going to be a bunch of stories of people rescued from the flooding in Fort Myers and surrounding areas. Probably some where they don't make it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

11. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I moved to Sarasota in the beginning of July. Wind is crazy right now and we aren’t close to as bad as Venice and port Charlotte.��
    Stay safe and keep us up to date.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-29-2022),Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Have not seen any images or video out of Sanibel....but at 3' above sea level there can't be much standing intact. I saw a couple clips of Longboat and Anna Maria earlier and they were getting battered....and they are a distant track up the coast from Cayo Costa. My daughter (and ex wife) stayed in Ft. Myers at her college apartment, and she still has electricity. The only thing she has lost is television signal.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    I moved to Sarasota in the beginning of July. Wind is crazy right now and we aren’t close to as bad as Venice and port Charlotte.��
    Just watching the weather channel today, poor Punta Gorda appeared to one again get the worst of the wind. Jim Cantore was taking a beating.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/stat...06621730328576
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do ya all think about hurricane Ian? All we're hearing is how strong it is but I think there's good news that they're not really emphasizing. It's moving at 30 mph. That means it'll move through quickly and that's a good thing
    Nobody will say it out loud, but the state, insurance companies, etc. are very thankful Tampa avoided one again. The worst case scenario for a West Coast (Florida) storm is to go into Tampa Bay. The storm surge would be catastrophic to a major urban area that has not been hit in nearly a century....when it was not a highly populated or urban area.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

I watched some live streams today. Ft. Meyers Beach had insane flooding from the storm surge, and Punta Gorda got absolutely hammered by wind on the backside of the eyewall. When the sun rises tomorrow the damage is gonna be really bad. Hopefully these folks evacuated.

Also saw this from a weather follow. Shows how Ian stacks up historically.

Name:  FdxAa7sVUAAphVq.png
Views: 167
Size:  27.4 KB

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Gotta love all the black & white pictures...like we didn't have color cameras back then...
    I was five years when it happened. Just after my mother died.
    "He reminds me of me when I was that age -- the way he plays the game, I mean," Pete Rose talking about Chris Sabo

Sanibel Causeway wiped out

Total devastation along the coast

Turn Off Ads?