Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: World Series Game 2 Thread

Re: World Series Game 2 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6...0813162&ATT=49

For the record, Rogers must enjoy playing in dirt. In the picture below, on the left you'll see Rogers hand delivering a pitch in the ALCS against the Yankees, and on the right is Rogers pitching in the WS against the Tigers.

Nice Find! So he has been cheating for a long time now, but where is the justice to pentalize him? A RULE is a RULE, right? This for everyone who said Pete deserved what he got.
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Pete Rose, when asked by David Letterman who he likes in the MLB playoffs:

"You sound like you're betting on baseball."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Two quotes above. One sounds ridiculous. The other sounds rationale. Perhaps Oliver Stone will make a documentary on the ridiculous one... he is good at this and good at the "cover up thing". Seems the umps have been around for more than a week... I guess that tells us who has not been around for at least a week. Go figure.

To use a quote from the ridiculous one... get real! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!
    I don't do quotes, I post what is the FACTS! You posted on something that went beyond what the rule states or should I say in that you agree to allow players and a UMP to CHEAT in baseball, did you not?
    "Some of the guys who pitched well for us last year aren't going to make the ballclub," Narron said.

Quote Originally Posted by cReds1 View Post
    First off, I guess I was expecting more from a known poster on this board to make a better opinion on the subject, but I guess that was asking too much. I should have been more tactful, but with someone like yourself involved in baseball and putting so much time on this board than I guess I was wrong to think this way. I will remember how to be tactful in the way you are being tactful when it comes to sticking up for ballplayers that don't deserve the benefit of the doubt on this one due to the RULE states it is an automatic suspension no matter how you or the UMP looks at it.

There is no judgement to make in this call, unless all of sudden the UMP can do whatever he wants too because the RULE is subjective even though it is not. Amazing how MLB can ban players for substance abuse (sometimes) and betting on baseball for life, but when one CHEATS the game all he is to do is wipe it off. LOL

Why don't you use good judgement and comment on the RULE instead of pointing out a judgement for the UMP that is not allowed in this case?
    What are you talking about? Your entire case rests on the assumption that it was proven that he had a banned substance on his hand. Which it wasn't, after investigation.

"There is no judgement to make on this call..." Actually, there is. The judgment was whether he had a banned substance on his hand. The powers-that-be, who investigated it signifcantly better in person than we can through photographs, determined that he didn't. LaRussa, Mr. Screamy, didn't push the matter either. That's pretty much the end of the story.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

It does not matter if the substance was removed or not, the rule states what it states and you can not go around it, but in this case since it is the WS and even though we learned from History like the black sox scandal (not exactly like this), but in today's game it is SUBJECTIVE now to determine if he really meant to do it or not to break a rule?

Exactly, vatican. The only way Rogers gets penalized is if something is found, which didn't occur.

Move on.

How was it missed when the UMP brought it to the attention of the manager to remove it? hUh?
    Because the MANAGER did not bring it to the attention of the UMPIRE.

It was REVERSED situation. It was a MISSED opportunity by LaRussa to go out there, check Rogers' hand and ask for a ruling DURING THE INNING.

This isn't like George Brett's bat where there's an inanimate object that is left behind. This is a hand that can be washed.

Also, maybe the UMP gave Rogers the benefit of the doubt. Here's a potential conversation - (gentle reminder - this IS the END of the Cardinal 1st inning)

UMP - Hey Kenny, what's that on your hand.

ROGERS - Oh, that? Dirt. I picked up the rosin bag and it's muddy from the wet dirt when the groundskeepers sprayed the mound before the game.

UMP - Well, it looks like pine tar.

ROGERS - Honest, its not. It's dirt into mud.

UMP - Well, ok - clean it off before you come to the mound next, OK.

ROGERS - Sure.

This is my take - I appreciate Alfonso Marquez going out to tell Rogers and taking him at his word. Marquez then goes to LaRussa, and LaRussa obvious now to the situation, KNOWS that he's NO recourse (the inning is over) shrugs his shoulder.

Whether Rogers is lying is immaterial to the situation.

This is all much ado about nothing, unless you are Karl Ravich looking for "good TV". It's a Sunday night game 2 after a big day of NFL football. Let's find something, blow it up, and see if it "sticks" (pun intended)

Poor way to market the game on the broadcast.

Oh, yeah, GIK brought this point up. I guess the other 7 innings of no-run one hit baseball was REALLY affected by his "dirt".

Nothing to see here folks, move on.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    What are you talking about? Your entire case rests on the assumption that it was proven that he had a banned substance on his hand. Which it wasn't, after investigation.

"There is no judgement to make on this call..." Actually, there is. The judgment was whether he had a banned substance on his hand. The powers-that-be, who investigated it signifcantly better in person than we can through photographs, determined that he didn't. LaRussa, Mr. Screamy, didn't push the matter either. That's pretty much the end of the story.
    I knew the RULE would not mean anything to the majority on this board and I am not surprised in the least bit. I am not assuming anything. Did you not see savafan's pictures of him? How much more evidence do you need? What kind of investigation was done?

Why LaRussa did not push the issue is something we will never know. Probably he found out after the fact when he washed it off. What could he do at this point? Nothing. The league can do something, but they won't.

It does not matter if the substance was removed or not, the rule states what it states and you can not go around it, but in this case since it is the WS and even though we learned from History like the black sox scandal (not exactly like this), but in today's game it is SUBJECTIVE now to determine if he really meant to do it or not to break a rule?
    Just people who think that people's word is nothing and that there "always someone out to get you" conspiracy theories.

This isn't the X-Files. It's Major Freakin' League Baseball. It's a game for crying out loud.

If you want to find conspiracies, check out Roswell, NM or try to get an explaination on your IRS Form 1040.

Don't go Art Bell on us.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Exactly, vatican. The only way Rogers gets penalized is if something is found, which didn't occur.

Move on.
    I guess the pictures tell nothing now? Remind me if I ever do get into trouble that the majority of you do not get on my jury, i am a dead man walking for sure.

Here's a possible explanation from Gammons, cR (and my last post on this subject):

"The Cardinals were not complaining because they have pitchers that also use substances to get some grip, to hold the ball. It's a lot different than sandpaper. Nobody seems to think this is a big deal."

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Just people who think that people's word is nothing and that there "always someone out to get you" conspiracy theories.

This isn't the X-Files. It's Major Freakin' League Baseball. It's a game for crying out loud.

If you want to find conspiracies, check out Roswell, NM or try to get an explaination on your IRS Form 1040.

Don't go Art Bell on us.
    I don't know what your problem is, but a RULE is a RULE. You are telling me every RULE is subjective now? How about STEROIDS use? Is this SUBJECTIVE too now.

Commish: Hey Mr. Bonds, Do you do STEROIDS?

Bonds: Yes I do.

Commish: Don't worry about it, just let it wear off and then we will do a drug test on you and then you can go back on it after the test is done and oh btw, we will inform you way ahead of time before the test is given.

Bonds: that is cool

Commish: i know what the RULE is on this substance, but we can work around those things in certatin situations. No big deal, but if a person like betting Pete wants back in the game, faget about it. RULES ARE RULES you know!

What seriously Creds?
    That last post made no sense whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Here's a possible explanation from Gammons, cR (and my last post on this subject):

"The Cardinals were not complaining because they have pitchers that also use substances to get some grip, to hold the ball. It's a lot different than sandpaper. Nobody seems to think this is a big deal."
    Well, Mr. Gammons' employer does.

And so does cReds.

I don't know what your problem is, but a RULE is a RULE. You are telling me every RULE is subjective now? How about STEROIDS use? Is this SUBJECTIVE too now.
    I just drove over on I-70 yesterday. The "rule" says that the speed limit is 65 MPH.

I drove 80. I'm sorry. I broke the "rule".

There was no state highway trooper who "caught" me.

Is the rule subjective? No. Should I have been caught? Yes. Was I caught? No. Wow, lucky me. Shouldn't be driving that fast anyway.

Kenny Rogers (in someone's eyes) just drove 80 in a 65. But, he didn't get caught.

Lucky guy.

Rogers also had "The Dirt" on his hand in a July game against the White Sox:

My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?