Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

Re: What Are You Reading Now Part Two

After finishing up "Hillbilly Elegy" I picked up a book my wife read a year or so ago and said she thought I'd enjoy "Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl"

Easy, quick read. I'm not typically a quick reader, might slug my way thru a 400-600 page book in the course of 3 or more months, but I found the 295 pages of "Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl" to be an easy read. A ton of light humor, some interesting, thought provoking commentary (despite it being a completely fictitious novel). Many moments of laugh out loud humor. If you looking for a quick escape, its worth a read. I'll probably check out the movie at some point, don't know if its suppose to be any good or not, but it got an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (11-12-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    After finishing up "Hillbilly Elegy" I picked up a book my wife read a year or so ago and said she thought I'd enjoy "Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl"

Easy, quick read. I'm not typically a quick reader, might slug my way thru a 400-600 page book in the course of 3 or more months, but I found the 295 pages of "Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl" to be an easy read. A ton of light humor, some interesting, thought provoking commentary (despite it being a completely fictitious novel). Many moments of laugh out loud humor. If you looking for a quick escape, its worth a read. I'll probably check out the movie at some point, don't know if its suppose to be any good or not, but it got an 82% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Good film

Just finished reading this book on Benedict Arnold. Kind of a long book but I learned much about him. I never knew he was considered on the best generals on the American side before his defection. He was known for rash decisions and certainly made one when he changed sides. Also his wife seemed to have considerable influence on him since she was from a loyalist family and also helped him in his treachery. I would recommend this book if you like reading about American figures even if they were traitors.

https://www.amazon.com/Benedict-Arno...enedict+arnold

Currently reading a biography about Johnny Evers of the Tinker,to Evers to Chance fame. It seems like it will be good with a good flow to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Evers-...s=johnny+evers
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Finally started the Dark Tower series. I know there are a lot of folks here who have read them. I didn't fall in love with the first book—does it get much better, or is that about what I can expect going forward?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Finally started the Dark Tower series. I know there are a lot of folks here who have read them. I didn't fall in love with the first book—does it get much better, or is that about what I can expect going forward?
    It becomes something very different, I think. The stories become less stark; more involved, once the whole ka-tet comes together and people and circumstances from King's other books begin leaking in.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It becomes something very different, I think. The stories become less stark; more involved, once the whole ka-tet comes together and people and circumstances from King's other books begin leaking in.
    That's good to know. I was expecting epic—more along the lines of The Stand—and it certainly didn't feel that way. But I think the world of King and am definitely gonna keep going.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    That's good to know. I was expecting epic—more along the lines of The Stand—and it certainly didn't feel that way. But I think the world of King and am definitely gonna keep going.
    King as a writer at the end of the series was markedly better than he was at the start.

When you get to the end, we'll have to talk.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

marcshoe (11-15-2017),WildcatFan (11-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    King as a writer at the end of the series was markedly better than he was at the start.

When you get to the end, we'll have to talk.
    You've got a deal.

Ok, Dark Tower II was WAY better than The Gunslinger. I'm on board.

13. Likes:

marcshoe (12-12-2017)

The Collapsing Empire - John Scalzi
    What would you say.....ya do here?

While I'm reading theoretical frameworks from several dissertations as I try to get a handle on writing one, I'm getting ready to begin listening to Ron Chernow's new Grant biography. It's 40,000 or so hours long.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Snow Falling on Cedars, another one the wife had lying around that I picked up, about 1/4 of the way thru it, movie got good reviews almost 20 years ago. Interesting read so far.
    Posting in the clutch since twenty ought two.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just finished reading this book on Benedict Arnold. Kind of a long book but I learned much about him. I never knew he was considered on the best generals on the American side before his defection. He was known for rash decisions and certainly made one when he changed sides. Also his wife seemed to have considerable influence on him since she was from a loyalist family and also helped him in his treachery. I would recommend this book if you like reading about American figures even if they were traitors.

https://www.amazon.com/Benedict-Arno...enedict+arnold
    I'll have to check this one out, add it to my list. My main reading interests - though I've gotten out of the habit (finding time) while raising three kids (and add fishing to that list too) - was purely biographical and historical. Over the years though, as we've vacationed, I've bought many books with the intent that I'm going to find the time to read them some day (LOL). I have a pretty extensive collection.

Well, the kids are grown, and I'm starting to find the time. A few that I've read in the last year ....

From Sea To Shining Sea (James Alexander Thom) ... it's about my ancestors, and a fascinating book on the Clark family.
    Trail of Tears: Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation (John Ehle) ... I couldn't put this book down once I started reading it
    A Sorrow In Our Heart: Life of Tecumseh (Allan Eckert)

I love Eckert. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never read The Frontiersmen. Started reading it this past week.

Other books I've bought, on the list ....

American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House (Jon Meacham)
    Boone: A Biography (Robert Morgan)
    Jefferson Davis, American (William J Cooper)
    Crazy Horse and Custer (Stephen E Ambrose)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-17-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'll have to check this one out, add it to my list. My main reading interests - though I've gotten out of the habit (finding time) while raising three kids (and add fishing to that list too) - was purely biographical and historical. Over the years though, as we've vacationed, I've bought many books with the intent that I'm going to find the time to read them some day (LOL). I have a pretty extensive collection.

Well, the kids are grown, and I'm starting to find the time. A few that I've read in the last year ....

From Sea To Shining Sea (James Alexander Thom) ... it's about my ancestors, and a fascinating book on the Clark family.
    Trail of Tears: Rise and Fall of the Cherokee Nation (John Ehle) ... I couldn't put this book down once I started reading it
    A Sorrow In Our Heart: Life of Tecumseh (Allan Eckert)

I love Eckert. But I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never read The Frontiersmen. Started reading it this past week.

Other books I've bought, on the list ....

American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House (Jon Meacham)
    Boone: A Biography (Robert Morgan)
    Jefferson Davis, American (William J Cooper)
    Crazy Horse and Custer (Stephen E Ambrose)
    Two of those on your reading list I have read and are very good. The Andrew Jackson book and Crazy Horse and Custer. The latter is really,really good. That was one that was hard to ut down after getting started.
    I will have check aout that Trail of tears book. I think I would like that a lot too.

I finished reading a biography on George Washington by Thomas Flexner. It was excellent. He wrote a four volume set on Washington's life but later came out with a condensed version which was this one I read. You might want to check that one out if you haven't already.

I'm like you I mainly only read history or biography's. Also like baseball history. You can learn a lot of American history in one of those if it it well written. I am currently reading Root For the Cubs. It's about Charlie Root and the 1929 season. So far it seems really good with a lot of historical happenings from around 1929 included. The only fiction I have read in recent years are the classics. I like Dickens and I think I am going to start Oliver Twist after I am finished with the baseball book I am on now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

"A Gentleman in Moscow" - Amor Towles

Loved loved loved this book. Told with great prose and great warmth, a saga of a Russian count in house arrest in the Hotel Metropol in Moscow over 40+ years. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

Fil3232 (12-17-2017)

Turn Off Ads?