Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread

Re: 2020 Cincinnati Bengals

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Joe Goodberry pointed out on Twitter that the 49ers won 4 games last year, the Packers won 6.

There's no reason the Bengals can't contend this year, if they want to try. I'm not saying conference championship contend, but they could be good.

They have money to spend, the QB will be there, and they have the opportunity to cash in at the draft. The way the draft is set up now is so hugely advantageous for the team picking at the top of each round.
    One has nothing to do with another. Stupid comparisons. I'm sorry.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    One has nothing to do with another. Stupid comparisons. I'm sorry.
    Shows what's possible in a one-year turnaround, and it's a particularly apt comparison since we know for a fact the Bengals look at Green Bay as a team with a model not dissimilar to their own. So we'll have to disagree here.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

membengal (01-13-2020),Wonderful Monds (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Under his watch in Cincinnati didn’t they run/develop the West Coast offense and the no huddle offense?
    While they were different, there were actually two "West Coast" offenses (Air Coryell, Bill Walsh). But yeah, Brown gave Walsh the task of developing an offensive scheme for an accurate, but weak armed, QB named Virgil Carter (I'm actually old enough to remember him), that utilized short, high percentage passes.

Brown coached the Bengals for 8 years (68-75). While he had a few winning seasons, he retired in '75 with a record of 55-56 -1 (.495). He made the post-season three times, and three times a first round exit. Brown saw the writing on the wall, and that the game had changed too dramatically for him. He was in his late 60s when he retired.

He introduced a lot of innovations to the game. Most are still in use today too. But the problem with innovators is that everyone else adopts your methods too. So you're always having to adapt, come up with something new to stay ahead of the curve. But he gave "birth" to future innovators who blossomed only after they left Cincinnati (and Brown's control). IMO, that's why he chose Johnson over Walsh. Control. The relationship that developed between Walsh and DeBartolo, IMO, showed Paul Brown what he could have had if he hadn't been such an A-hole.

But here's another example of how much of a vindictive SOB Brown could be ....

https://web.archive.org/web/20130619...s/sp-walsh22/3

He was a Cincinnati Bengals assistant for seven seasons under legendary coach Paul Brown but was passed over in favor of Bill "Tiger" Johnson when Brown retired in 1975. Walsh, who subsequently resigned, said Brown "worked against my candidacy" to be a head coach anywhere in the league.

"All the way through I had opportunities, and I never knew about them," he said. "And then when I left him, he called whoever he thought was necessary to keep me out of the NFL."

Was it jealousy?

"I can't say," said Walsh, who didn't get his first NFL head-coaching job until he was 47. "He did that to other people too, it wasn't just me. But I was probably the most blatant one."
    Last edited by GAC; 01-13-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Joe Goodberry pointed out on Twitter that the 49ers won 4 games last year, the Packers won 6.

There's no reason the Bengals can't contend this year, if they want to try. I'm not saying conference championship contend, but they could be good.

They have money to spend, the QB will be there, and they have the opportunity to cash in at the draft. The way the draft is set up now is so hugely advantageous for the team picking at the top of each round.
    I agree, but I also saw an interesting article from a Saints reporter. He/she was asking what it would take for the Saints to trade up for Burrow. Would we be ok with three #1's (2020.21.22) as well as a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and a bivy of late round picks?

3 1st rounders is tough to pass up until you realize that the Saints will be picking at the bottom of the first round for those 3 yrs...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

8. Likes:

North (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I agree, but I also saw an interesting article from a Saints reporter. He/she was asking what it would take for the Saints to trade up for Burrow. Would we be ok with three #1's (2020.21.22) as well as a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and a bivy of late round picks?
    The only scenario I would even come close to entertaining is Miami.

2020 1st rounders (5, 18, 27)
    2020 2nd rounders (39, 56)
    2021 1st round picks

Of those picks, no QB until 2021 and hope Lawrence or Fields are there.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

RiverRat13 (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only scenario I would even come close to entertaining is Miami.

2020 1st rounders (5, 18, 27)
    2020 2nd rounders (39, 56)
    2021 1st round picks

Of those picks, no QB until 2021 and hope Lawrence or Fields are there.
    I agree, but I don't even love that plan. The Bengals are already a couple of bounces away from picking 5th, and with health could just be swirling the drain for a decade by winning 4-6 games over and over again.

First overall picks don't happen very often, and there's a very good prospect there. Don't overthink it by trying to grab value now, let the value come to you after your team has a semblance of stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

12. Likes:

Big Red Smokey (01-13-2020),Boss-Hog (01-13-2020),Redsfaithful (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I agree, but I don't even love that plan. The Bengals are already a couple of bounces away from picking 5th, and with health could just be swirling the drain for a decade by winning 4-6 games over and over again.

First overall picks don't happen very often, and there's a very good prospect there. Don't overthink it by trying to grab value now, let the value come to you after your team has a semblance of stability.
    I’m definitely in the Burrow camp, but Miami would be the only team that could come close to offering anything close to what it would take to get me to move off of that and it’s not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-13-2020)

I would want at least five first round picks to even think about it. And even then, I likely would not do it.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I would want at least five first round picks to even think about it. And even then, I likely would not do it.
    There are a couple of hurdles to go

1. Burrow getting hurt tonight.

2. That Mike & Co. get enamored with one of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks, decide he's their man, and trade out of the top spot for value, value, VALUE !!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    There are a couple of hurdles to go

1. Burrow getting hurt tonight.

2. That Mike & Co. get enamored with one of the Senior Bowl quarterbacks, decide he's their man, and trade out of the top spot for value, value, VALUE !!!
    If #1 doesn't happen, then I'd lay money that #2 will. If there's any team that will go to great lengths to sabotage its own success, it's the Bengals.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If #1 doesn't happen, then I'd lay money that #2 will. If there's any team that will go to great lengths to sabotage its own success, it's the Bengals.
    When they draft Burrow #1 three months from now, come back and tell us how much money you lost. Don't make us dig up this post

I know Mike Brown's m.o.

The last draft pick that was in Mike Brown's wheelhouse even close to the degree that Joe Burrow is, was Carson Palmer. And Burrow even surpasses that because he's local.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

21. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-13-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    When they draft Burrow #1 three months from now, come back and tell us how much money you lost. Don't make us dig up this post
    Dig it up. I don't care. Thing is, I don't find being wrong about baseless assertions like this to be a source of embarrassment. Maybe you do?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

23. Likes:

GAC (01-14-2020)

Dig it up. I don't care. Thing is, I don't find being wrong about baseless assertions like this to be a source of embarrassment. Maybe you do?
    I want you to save me the trouble. I don't want to have to search through all your dribble. Just come back and tell how you were wrong

Turn Off Ads?