Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sundeck

The Sundeck

Should we be thinking about bringing back the Sundeck?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: The Sundeck

In theory yes. In practice no, because it will just be a dead board again and we'll run into the same problem we did last time.

I don't know that we necessarily need the Sundeck but we definitely need some sort of a front door to prevent the trolls (one in particular) from waltzing right in over and over again.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

A delay between when someone registers and when they can make a post sounds good.
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

BillDoran (06-01-2016)

Maybe require a post in the Welcome/Introduction board and approval before you can start posting elsewhere?

I think having a small post number requirement before being allowed in game threads would help drive away the loonies some too. Even if it's just like say, 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't know that we necessarily need the Sundeck but we definitely need some sort of a front door to prevent the trolls (one in particular) from waltzing right in over and over again.
    Does this board system not allow IP bans? Although I'm guessing Schmoe probably isn't averse to using a proxy or something so it probably doesn't matter.

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-30-2016)

Is that such a big problem? Any discussion group is going to have trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

11. Likes:

BillDoran (06-01-2016),Joseph (06-01-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is that such a big problem? Any discussion group is going to have trolls.
    It hadn't been a problem until this JoeyNotto fellow has popped up. I don't know if you're following the game threads, but this guy is signing up under different names, often multiple times a day, during every single game and posting the most psychotic stuff about Votto and how he wants to see him dead.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

It hadn't been a problem until this JoeyNotto fellow has popped up. I don't know if you're following the game threads, but this guy is signing up under different names, often multiple times a day, during every single game and posting the most psychotic stuff about Votto and how he wants to see him dead.
    Wow! If that's the case, has anyone contacted law enforcement or Reds security?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I'm on there from time to time. However the mods must be deleting the more volatile posts before I see them which is as it should be. However, if it's just one guy who is the problem, I don't think re-creating the Sun Deck is going to solve anything. It's just going to ghettoize that person's posts. If it's just stupid, negative stuff about Votto, you're getting into groupthink and shutting down any negative viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Wow! If that's the case, has anyone contacted law enforcement or Reds security?
    This. We had this problem before with Gallagher, IIRC. If it's just stuff like "Votto sucks" that's one thing. But when someone crosses the line, the authorities should be brought in.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (05-31-2016)

tbh from what I've seen its not really like actual threats as much as it is extremely tasteless things dudes saying (the "I wouldn't cry if he got in a car crash" quote, currently in kaldaniels' signature I think, was his work of art)

So while it is disgusting, it's nothing that you honestly probably can't find on Twitter from some idiot during any given Reds game

17. Likes:

Chip R (05-31-2016)

Right, he's not making death threats, but instead saying things like "I hope he takes a fastball to the brain" or "Please get in a car accident, Votto" and other horrible stuff like that.

This isn't about groupthink. If this dude just wanted to sign up to bash Votto's performance, whatever. But he goes way over the line every time and relishes doing it. He doesn't belong here, and I'm pretty sure the only reason he is here is because he might have finally got suspended from Twitter for his garbage.

Simple solution is new posters have a post limit to reach before they can troll.

Then they can be jerks

They are not maybe direct threats but yesterday several times he basically wiished Joey to die soon to get the Reds out of his contract. He basically wishes a career ending injury, death or by the end yesterday he wanted Joey to be committed to a mental institution which the irony of that is rich. What amazed me was when he said yesterday he was 45 years old. I assumed this was just some teenager trolling around. A 45 year old that is that obsessed with a baseball player that every time he makes an out pretty much he is making some new account to start this all over again is pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Simple solution is new posters have a post limit to reach before they can troll.

Then they can be jerks
    Yep, you can't stop trolls but at least make them work for it.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?