Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 9/1 Reds v. Pads Game Thread

Re: 9/1 Reds v. Pads Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It's sort of his own fault for not wanting to move positions. Nomar swallowed his pride and moved to first and is having a great year. There is a whole list of other players that have moved positions and have extended their careers and not exposed themselves as much to their age or injury indused shortcomings.
    And he's the guy who determines who plays where? Give me a break, that all falls on Narron.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

We're undefeated in September.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

A win!

For a Level Playing Field

If Mike Cameron was 10-12 steps slower, like Junior is compared to him, he would not have gotten doubled off 1st to end the game! :

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

it shouldn't be up to Jr.,even with any and all due respect to him. He's hurting the damn team out there. Narron needs to move him. Or whmever has the power needs to move him. Whomever Narron decides to start in RF for any given night should automatically switch with Junior. I can't believe that it's even a question.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    We're undefeated in September.
    And may it stay so until September 30th.

Good game that puts us over .500, 1/2 game out of the WC and only 5 behind the Cards. Let's do it again tomorrow!
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I want to slap a big ole sloppy kiss on GG's lips.
    Unreal. I'm not sure how to respond to that, but, there's issues there and I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it. You're on your own there bud.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    And he's the guy who determines who plays where? Give me a break, that all falls on Narron.

If you think that Narron is responsibe for Griffey playing CF, vs, Griffey himself, you sir are very naive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    If Mike Cameron was 10-12 steps slower, like Junior is compared to him, he would not have gotten doubled off 1st to end the game! :
    Minor point. Junior Sucks even with 69 RBI's and 26 Hr's. Cameron is the second best Cf in baseball behind Freel.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Griffey's range is horrible. It has really gotten exposed in these bigger ballparks out West in the form of bloop hits that he is trying to make shoestring catches on that an average CFer would be able to catch after doing a triple lindy

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Unreal. I'm not sure how to respond to that, but, there's issues there and I'm not sure there's anything we can do about it. You're on your own there bud.
    Don't judge me.

Griffey fires back at critics
    Career center fielder angry about suggestions he switch positions
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. decided to talk to the media again Wednesday - largely to explain why he didn't talk to reporters Monday and Tuesday.

Griffey said he's angry over suggestions made by sports-talk radio show callers that he should move from center field to left field or first base.

"If I was hurting the team, (I'd move)," he said.

Now who determines it?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

You could have fooled me. But yes he's having a not-so-good year and age may contribute to it some. Somehow I doubt that. At least I hope so. And as far as what position he plays and where he bats, you hae to look to the guy who everyone is grateful for having a winning record after all those years (oops, well, .500 before tonight).
    Well, the guy is 36 years old. Unfortunately, for all-natural players, that tends to signal the end- particularly if they've got a hamstring held together by bailing wire and staples. But you're right. The Manager positions the players in the field and controls where they hit in the order. Griffey is the Reds' Center Fielder because he has been chosen to be the Reds Center Fielder. He hits in the three-slot because that is where he's written into the lineup.

The OF should be Griffey in LF, Dunn in RF (before he eventually moves to 1B), and Freel in CF. It sucks to see a hero's defensive skills disintegrate, but that's what happens. Even Andruw Jones has lost steps, but the Braves still run him out to CF based on his reputation.

At the Reds have broached the changing positions topic with Griffey in prior years. At this point he certainly shouldn't be adverse to switching excepting the idea the fast stops at LF (the only other OF position he should play) and stretches at 1B would strain on his already-debilitated hammys. If he's incapable of playing another position, then he's a DH playing Center Field in a league that doesn't offer the DH position.

And hopefuly you now how hard it is for me to say that about Griffey. I've been full-on in his corner while he's overcome serious injury problems. But at some point he and Reds management needs to realize that a position switch is in everyone's best interest.
    Last edited by SteelSD; 09-02-2006 at 01:17 AM.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, the guy is 36 years old. Unfortunately, for all-natural players, that tends to signal the end- particularly if they've got a hamstring held together by bailing wire and staples. But you're right. The Manager positions the players in the field and controls where they hit in the order. Griffey is the Reds' Center Fielder because he has been chosen to be the Reds Center Fielder. He hits in the three-slot because that is where he's written into the lineup.

The OF should be Griffey in LF, Dunn in RF (before he eventually moves to 1B), and Freel in CF. It sucks to see a hero's defensive skills disintegrate, but that's what happens. Even Andruw Jones has lost steps, but the Braves still run him out to CF based on his reputation.

At the Reds have broached the changing positions topic with Griffey in prior years. At this point he certainly shouldn't be adverse to switching excepting the idea the fast stops at LF (the only other OF position he should play) and stretches at 1B would but strain on his already-debilitated hammys. If he's incapable of playing another position, then he's a DH playing Center Field in a league that doesn't offer the DH position.

And hopefuly you now how hard it is for me to say that about Griffey. I've been full-on in his corner while he's overcome serious injury problems. But at some point he and Reds management needs to realize that a position switch is in everyone's best interest.
    At least the consolation prize is that Freel in right is covering that half of the field better than it was with Kearns. Kearns is a good RFer, but he will not get to as many balls as Freel and cannot cover the ground that Jr. can't

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    At least the consolation prize is that Freel in right is covering that half of the field better than it was with Kearns. Kearns is a good RFer, but he will not get to as many balls as Freel and cannot cover the ground that Jr. can't
    If the Reds had a Freel-like talent in CF and a Kearns-like talent in RF then the Reds would actually be addressing defense. But they haven't. And I'd dare say that Kearns could take over in CF and cover at least as much ground as Junior can. Kearns wouldn't be a great CF, but you don't need to be a great CF to get to more balls than Griffey right now. You just need to be less than adequate.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?