Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Giants lost 6-2. So that means going into the last day Reds can be no worse than a 7 seed and could still be as high as a 5 seed
    Good, because LA was the one team I'd rather have not played in the short series. ATL, CHC, SD, fine with those scenarios.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

smixsell (09-27-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Scenarios for STL-DET to play on Sept. 28: https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-t...ames-scenarios

5. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Good, because LA was the one team I'd rather have not played in the short series. ATL, CHC, SD, fine with those scenarios.
    I do not think I want to play SD in Round 1 because I assume that would also put on the Dodgers side of the bracket....and we would play them if we made it to Round 2? I am assuming it is....

#1 - LAD
    #8 - ?

#4 - SD
    #5 - ?

then winner of #1 vs. #8 would play the winner of #4 vs. #5?

#3 - Chicago
    #6 - ?

#2 - Atlanta
    #7 - ?

then winner of #2 vs. #7 would play the winner of #3 vs. #6?

If that is the bracket, I would rather be #6 or #7 instead of #5....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

smixsell (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I do not think I want to play SD in Round 1 because I assume that would also put on the Dodgers side of the bracket....and we would play them if we made it to Round 2? I am assuming it is....

#1 - LAD
    #8 - ?

#4 - SD
    #5 - ?

then winner of #1 vs. #8 would play the winner of #4 vs. #5?

#3 - Chicago
    #6 - ?

#2 - Atlanta
    #7 - ?

then winner of #2 vs. #7 would play the winner of #3 vs. #6?

If that is the bracket, I would rather be #6 or #7 instead of #5....
    Yes you are correct on they bracket. So yes if you get up the 5 you might have the advantage in Round 1 of the Padres possibly being without their top 2 starters but you would have the Dodgers most likely in the next round

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Honestly, I'm fine with a 7 seed and playing Atlanta.

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-27-2020),smixsell (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Scenarios for STL-DET to play on Sept. 28: https://www.mlb.com/news/cardinals-t...ames-scenarios
    According to this article, the Cards will have to play on Monday if those games decide if the Cards host a wild card game. Which means they will have to play on Monday if those game decide if they get the NL Central second place slot, or the wild card slot.

That means that if the Cards win tomorrow, they don’t have to play on Monday. If they lose, they do have have to play on Monday.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    According to this article, the Cards will have to play on Monday if those games decide if the Cards host a wild card game. Which means they will have to play on Monday if those game decide if they get the NL Central second place slot, or the wild card slot.

That means that if the Cards win tomorrow, they don’t have to play on Monday. If they lose, they do have have to play on Monday.
    The Cards cannot host a wild card game. The wild card games will be hosted by Dodgers, Braves, Cubs, and Padres.

Whether Cards or Reds get second place in the Central has no bearing on whether there are games Monday in Detroit. The only issue is whether the playoff teams are fully decided by tomorrow.

There are two NL playoff spots undecided. The winner of the Cards-Brewers tomorrow gets one playoff spot. Whether there are Monday games depends on whether the final playoff spot is also resolved by tomorrow.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 04:29 AM.

13. Likes:

757690 (09-27-2020),M2 (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Cards cannot host a wild card game. The wild card games will be hosted by Dodgers, Braves, Cubs, and Padres.

Whether Cards or Reds get second place in the Central has no bearing on whether there are games Monday in Detroit. The only issue is whether the playoff teams are fully decided by tomorrow.

There are two NL playoff spots undecided. The winner of the Cards-Brewers tomorrow get one playoff spot. Whether there are Monday games depends on whether the final playoff spot is also resolved by tomorrow.
    Lol, so I totally got it wrong, but the result is the same, kinda.

I really pray that this is the last year that they use this system, it’s absurdly confusing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lol, so I totally got it wrong, but the result is the same, kinda.

I really pray that this is the last year that they use this system, it’s absurdly confusing.
    Just read over all the scenarios. In most instances, there will be no games in Detroit.

The major exception is if the Cards lose and the Giants win tomorrow. If that happens, Brewers clinch and Cards would have to play in Detroit to resolve the final wild card.

But agree it is quite complicated with Cards, Brewers, Giants, and Phils still alive for a playoff spot going into the last day, with possible Cards games Monday.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 04:28 AM.

very thankful we have clinched a playoff spot going into today and not one of those 4 teams needing to win and possibly need help to get in....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

18. Likes:

boxseat (09-27-2020),goreds2 (09-27-2020),smixsell (09-27-2020),wolfboy (09-27-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    very thankful we have clinched a playoff spot going into today and not one of those 4 teams needing to win and possibly need help to get in....
    Agree. The games today could result in an improvement of Reds playoff seed from 7th to 5th or 6th. Reds would need to finish second in Central for seeding to improve.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That was written 5 days ago when the Cards still gave a chance to finish first.

The Cards only play Monday if those two games makes a difference in any team making the playoffs.

In other words, if the Cards lose and the Giants win.

I think if Cincy also wins, the Reds would get the 5 seed.

Because the Cards would need to play Monday to determine the Whether the Giants get in.

If they win the first game,the giants are eliminated, and I don’t think the Cards play the second game because they would be in the playoffs already, and I understand that they won’t play the second game because that would only determine seeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'd rather face the tougher teams in a shorter series. I'm fine with gambling on the dominance of Bauer, Castillo, and Gray against the top three of any team.

That said, what really pushes me to thinking the Reds could be a tough out in the playoffs is that Bauer has shown he can pitch on short rest. And wants to. Badly.

Too, the offense is perking up ever so slightly and has enough veteran bats to do some damage. Votto, Moustakas, Suarez, Castellanos-- these are solid pros who could be problems. And Winker and Akiyama are willing to pile up pitches as well. Lots and lots of power in this squad-- and power can be key in low-scoring affairs. All it takes, often, is one swing of the bat.

They also have a solid core of bullpen arms. Bradley, Garrett, and Iglesias have been very good for about a month and you're only really using three guys out of the pen in most series. As middle relief, they an add Sims, Antone, and Mahle. Maybe Lorenzen.

I might be tempted to whittle my pitching staff down to 10 or 11 at the most (if it's allowable) in order to add as many impact bats as I could. Add a runner or two as well, perhaps.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    #Reds seeding scenarios today:
    5th seed - Reds win, Marlins lose and Cardinals lose.
    6th seed - Reds win, Marlins win and Cardinals lose.
    7th seed - Cardinals win or Reds lose*.

(*Reds could lose & be 6th seed if Cards miss playoffs.)

Turn Off Ads?