Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Re: Reds Offseason Rumors Thread

Betts is a pure rental, you don’t trade players like Castillo for pure rentals.

The Reds arent Betts away from winning a World Series and by trading Castillo away you take away a better team after Betts is gone and shorten your window.

The Package above is good I would do that in a heart beat for a year of Betts basically because the pitcher is a few years away and ideally we will be set there with Castillo Gray New guy maybe Bauer and Greene coming soon. Winker hurts long term but we can find an OF and if we sign someone like Ozuna then to fill 1 spot isn’t going to be hard. And I dunno much about the 2nd pitcher. But that’s a rental deal futures and a current roster player that has value right now and potential still to fill.

2. Likes:

DocRed (12-07-2019),Hubba (12-07-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think it is too steep. I think Betts is a generational player. He's East Coast Mike Trout.

If the Reds dealt Castillo for him, and had say Wheeler (gone, yes I know) or MadBum in house, they are WS contenders. Right now.

Betts is that kind of difference maker.

I'll take the ring please.

But the point is moot because for whatever dumb arse reason, the Reds FO think Senzel is a CF, when he is clearly not.

Man talk about over valuing. I'd trade peak Votto for peak Betts, and peak Betts is happening right now. I might be one of the biggest Votto fans on earth.
    Mookie Betts might be my favorite current baseball player. I would not trade Luis Castillo for him. That would be a rip-off, sorry.

I wouldn’t trade current Castillo for a year of peak Votto either.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Barstool sports is more sports comedy than sports news, I wouldn't assume anything anyone from there says is real.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (12-07-2019)

Trade T. Stephenson and stuff for Marte. Trade Marte and Barnhart for Betts. Sign Chirinos. Offense fixed.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Trade T. Stephenson and stuff for Marte. Trade Marte and Barnhart for Betts. Sign Chirinos. Offense fixed.
    Why not just make it a 3 team trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Why not just make it a 3 team trade?
    Essentially it is, but if they can get Marte and can't get Betts, they can dump Barnhart, sign Chirinos and still have a fixed offense. Just not quite as good.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Barstool sports is more sports comedy than sports news, I wouldn't assume anything anyone from there says is real.
    Their baseball coverage is straight forward and generally outside the comedy brand other than viral videos. Carrabis is very well connected to the Red Sox organization and it's not uncommon for him to hint at things before they happen. If he's floating something out there, it's a safe bet he got info directly from them.

White Sox Dave falls under the same category as he's actually broken stories before.

Why would the Red Sox want Marte and Barnhart?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why would the Red Sox want Marte and Barnhart?
    Marte slides in to Betts spot, keeps it productive for a lot cheaper. They need a catcher. Look at their depth chart. They'd save over $10 Million, stay competitive and fill a hole all in one fell swoop. They aren't looking to rebuild. They just want to reduce the cost of their team to break the cumulative luxury tax cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Marte slides in to Betts spot, keeps it productive for a lot cheaper. They need a catcher. Look at their depth chart. They'd save over $10 Million, stay competitive and fill a hole all in one fell swoop. They aren't looking to rebuild. They just want to reduce the cost of their team to break the cumulative luxury tax cycle.
    I don’t see it. They could sell betts and aim for 6 years control of a few real high end prospects and help create the next core.

I could see them then looking to trade a lower tier of prospects for marte and Barnhart or something like that to remain competitive.

But the value and strategy in doing the straight swap doesn’t feel right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Can Reds add another bat at Winter Meetings?

“We’re working on a few things that I would say could probably come to a conclusion this week or next,” Williams said. “But I don’t know if it’s a favorable conclusion for us. Some free agents have said they would make decisions that we’re interested in. I don’t know exactly how it will play out.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-2...etings-preview

From the Dick Williams quote...
    I guess what he's saying is this
    Some free agents that we're working on have said they will make their decisions this week or next.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2019)

Ozuna to Whitesox come Monday, that may be one part of Williams quote ""don't know if its a favorable conclusion for us..."

I'm actually glad he's heading elsewhere, not a solid consistent bat we need IMO.

17. Likes:

Big Klu (12-07-2019),Redeyecat (12-07-2019)

We got Moose but striking out on Grandal Wheeler and Ozuna is trouble some as far as getting the bigger named FAs to sign with the Reds. Moose was a mid tier FA no one would doubt that Ozuna was probably a level above him Grandal and Wheeler were higher also.

Anytime a team, any team, is chasing big names and doesn’t close it concerns me. I think the Reds are making the offers I just don’t think the players believe the Reds will be good for the length of the contacts.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2019)

Come on ppl, we are one of 30 MB teams. We are not gonna get ever free agent we want. Getting 1 of 4 so far is actually pretty damn good.

21. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (12-07-2019),Redeyecat (12-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    We got Moose but striking out on Grandal Wheeler and Ozuna is trouble some as far as getting the bigger named FAs to sign with the Reds. Moose was a mid tier FA no one would doubt that Ozuna was probably a level above him Grandal and Wheeler were higher also.

Anytime a team, any team, is chasing big names and doesn’t close it concerns me. I think the Reds are making the offers I just don’t think the players believe the Reds will be good for the length of the contacts.
    Been thinking about this, thanks for raising it.

Reds have been a losing team, mid-market, they aren’t going to get every FA target. They managed to get Moose who is a good fit for them. Hopefully they can get one more upper level FA to sign on.

Then they can do the rest of their business in trades and lesser signings.

Hopefully if they start to win more, Reds will become an easier sell for FAs. For now, as I see it, it’s really a matter of one more guy, whether a position player or pitcher. I’m hopeful they can manage that.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (12-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?