Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,003 of 1003

Thread: College Football 2019

Re: College Football 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My recollection is that very few sat out but as I said, we'll see
    More and more sit out each year. If you are a first rounder or if you are a second rounder, you will see those guys sit out at a higher rate.

It may be different for me as an OSU fan, but its playoff or bust, the only bowl game that really excites me as an OSU fan would be the Rose Bowl. But even when they play in the BCS Bowls, it just doesn't mean much.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This article talks about this issue specifically with Alabama:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...gh/4377681002/

If a mass of players sit out then it will be ground breaking. Traditionally there's only been one or two on certain teams sit out. If say ten sit out for Alabama, that'll be a huge story. I hope that kind of precedent isn't set but it could happen

I know the "pc" thing to say is the player should do what is best for him and his family......or not risk injury, etc. etc., but it is more complicated than that. Everything you do starting in the offseason workouts is built around the indoctrination of having the back of every guy in that locker room....then suddenly it becomes all about the individual just does not sit well with me. If the bowl games are not important enough for some players to play in, then they are probably not important enough for the team to play in. As a WVU fan, I can say I felt somewhat let down by so many important guys not playing last year knowing without them the team would likely have a poor performance. In their defense, the coach was also not very committed at that time as we would learn shortly after, but that is another story.

5. Likes:

jimbo (12-12-2019)

Coaches bolt instantly, when a better opportunity arises. Why shouldn't players do the same?

One solution would be to hold college players under contract and pay them accordingly. As for coaches, not sure there since they are already paid handsomely.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

7. Likes:

Chip R (12-12-2019),RedTeamGo! (12-12-2019)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This article talks about this issue specifically with Alabama:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...gh/4377681002/

If a mass of players sit out then it will be ground breaking. Traditionally there's only been one or two on certain teams sit out. If say ten sit out for Alabama, that'll be a huge story. I hope that kind of precedent isn't set but it could happen
    Michigan alone had at least four starters sit out the Peach Bowl last year vs. UF

No way I would play a non-CFP game if a sure fire NFL 1st or 2nd rounder. I've changed my view on this 100% after seeing the Jaylon Smith and Tua injuries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Coaches bolt instantly, when a better opportunity arises. Why shouldn't players do the same?

One solution would be to hold college players under contract and pay them accordingly. As for coaches, not sure there since they are already paid handsomely.
    not directly related, but schools need to always fully enforce the full contractual buyout of any coach that does not honor his contract. Most of the time schools settle for something less to avoid legal costs and headaches.....plus they believe it could be a bad look for future coaches. Even last year with WVU and Dana Holgorson....the media had already reported he was going to Houston in late December, but he waited until a specific date in January (4th?) to resign which reduced his buyout. The problem is his contract explicitly stated he must inform WVU within 24 hours of first contact with any other school, which he did not. Also, there was language that placed the date of resignation as the date of initial contract negotiation with new school....which had to be in December. WVU did not hold him to either count which would have cost him or Houston a couple more million dollars. It is not like if WVU fired him early, he would not have demanded every penny the school owed him.

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    not directly related, but schools need to always fully enforce the full contractual buyout of any coach that does not honor his contract. Most of the time schools settle for something less to avoid legal costs and headaches.....plus they believe it could be a bad look for future coaches. Even last year with WVU and Dana Holgorson....the media had already reported he was going to Houston in late December, but he waited until a specific date in January (4th?) to resign which reduced his buyout. The problem is his contract explicitly stated he must inform WVU within 24 hours of first contact with any other school, which he did not. Also, there was language that placed the date of resignation as the date of initial contract negotiation with new school....which had to be in December. WVU did not hold him to either count which would have cost him or Houston a couple more million dollars. It is not like if WVU fired him early, he would not have demanded every penny the school owed him.
    Houston saved them from that very scenario. It's no secret that the relationship between Holgs and AD Lyons was never the greatest. Holgs arguably only got the contract he had because of 2016 going 10-3 and he was coming up on his final year. Holgs knew the writing was on the wall and he had probably achieved all he could at WVU and knew if he had a 5-7 win year (which is what most were predicting, even before he left) he'd been canned so he got out of the way. He was a strange cat and was never fully embraced by a number of armchair wanna bes idiots because "We FiReD a GuY wHo WoN 10 GaMes In BiG eAsT" or "He IsN't OnE oF uS".
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I know the "pc" thing to say is the player should do what is best for him and his family......or not risk injury, etc. etc., but it is more complicated than that. Everything you do starting in the offseason workouts is built around the indoctrination of having the back of every guy in that locker room....then suddenly it becomes all about the individual just does not sit well with me. If the bowl games are not important enough for some players to play in, then they are probably not important enough for the team to play in. As a WVU fan, I can say I felt somewhat let down by so many important guys not playing last year knowing without them the team would likely have a poor performance. In their defense, the coach was also not very committed at that time as we would learn shortly after, but that is another story.
    Nonsense. It really only applies to a few players on even fewer teams. Most everyone in the entire program has no issue with players sitting out a bowl game, a bowl game that for most would be a disappointment. Look if you are Alabama or Michigan where you had dreams of making the CFP, the bowl game they are playing in is a letdown, every single player is somewhat let down the way the season played out. From what I understand, most playesr are pretty open about their desire and reasoning to sit out. It isn't like they are pulling the "injured hamstring" like Peppers did a few years ago. Most players entering the draft bolt the day after the bowl game anyway. Most of these players practice with the team, and then help out with you younger players who are starting in the game, players who will make a difference in the next game.

If you are Michigan, if you are Tarik Black or DPJ, what do you have to gain from playing? Especially if you consider a sprained ankle could really effect your draft status in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nonsense. It really only applies to a few players on even fewer teams. Most everyone in the entire program has no issue with players sitting out a bowl game, a bowl game that for most would be a disappointment. Look if you are Alabama or Michigan where you had dreams of making the CFP, the bowl game they are playing in is a letdown, every single player is somewhat let down the way the season played out. From what I understand, most playesr are pretty open about their desire and reasoning to sit out. It isn't like they are pulling the "injured hamstring" like Peppers did a few years ago. Most players entering the draft bolt the day after the bowl game anyway. Most of these players practice with the team, and then help out with you younger players who are starting in the game, players who will make a difference in the next game.

If you are Michigan, if you are Tarik Black or DPJ, what do you have to gain from playing? Especially if you consider a sprained ankle could really effect your draft status in the coming months.
    These are all the arguments why these games should be played as part of the regular season and not as Bowl Games.

Just use the Big 10/ACC challenge model from hoops across all the conferences for 2 non conference games and let everyone schedule the third one with whoever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I love it when someone on an internet forum thinks so highly of their thoughts that they feel in position to claim another users opinion is nonsense. I assume you are an Ohio State fan? You may feel different if Fields decided not to play in a bowl game, and you got the Chris Chugunov bowl experience. It is not fun and does not make the program look great.

15. Likes:

North (12-12-2019)

I love it when someone on an internet forum thinks so highly of their thoughts that they feel in position to claim another users opinion is nonsense. I assume you are an Ohio State fan? You may feel different if Fields decided not to play in a bowl game, and you got the Chris Chugunov bowl experience. It is not fun and does not make the program look great.
    If it was in the playoffs sure, but no players are going to do that. Several high profile OSU players that were going to be drafted in the first round have sat out bowl games the past 5 years or so. It’s slightly disappointing, but the fan base largely understands and was fine with it.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-16-2019)

Most players still play in the bowl games, a few that are heading to the pros will sit out and it is completely understandable, even a small injury or the wear and tear of another month of practices can impact their combine/pro day performance. Say one of your friends is having an all night raging bachelor party the night before you have a 8 am interview for your dream job. Do you go? Are you being a bad friend if you don't?

Even if some marque players sit out the bowl games they are still worth playing from the team standpoint. The bowl games provide exposure to the team which helps with recruiting and give an extra month or so of practices heading into next year, and there is still the financial benefit for both team and conference.
    Last edited by phatknuckle; 12-13-2019 at 08:14 AM.

We have hit a 1,000 posts. This one is closed. Thanks to WVRed a new one has already begun.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?