Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Re: COVID-19, Part VIII - heading into flu season

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post

I live in a densely populated city and I see about 75% of people walking the streets with their mask on. If that level of protection is what is needed to get people feeling comfortable out and about and going about their typical lives, I think we should be all for it and not calling them buffoons.
    Walking the streets wearing a mask in a densely populated area is quite a bit different than wearing a mask in your car by yourself. IMO, you’re a complete buffoon if you wear a mask in your car by yourself.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Walking the streets wearing a mask in a densely populated area is quite a bit different than wearing a mask in your car by yourself. IMO, you’re a complete buffoon if you wear a mask in your car by yourself.
    Haha complete buffoon? Why does it bug you so much? Who cares?

I don't have a car, but I wouldn't wear one solo inside one either. Although I know ride share drivers are required to wear one, but I'm sure they're fine if they don't have a passenger.

We're on the same page here, by the way. I don't think it's necessary to wear one hiking but it wouldn't bug me if people do.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Cuomo is a strange politician. He’s both simultaneously a throwback to a time when politicians could be more direct (because he’s pretty insulated) but he’s also a worm that plays the modern game of celebrity politicking well. I’m really glad he’ll never make the transition to the federal level. He’d do a ton of damage.
    He’s crazy, which probably happened because he wants to run NYC and New York State.

He’s also already worked at the federal level, he was a cabinet member (HUD) for Clinton in the 1990s. He has a ton of experience and he wants to be king of the world. It’s logical to be afraid of him.

But as for damage, I don’t know. Along with the ego is a confidence in doing not only things that people like but what they need. He has consistently delivered big infrastructure projects.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Covering my mouth with my arm, as I usually do, isn’t close as effective as wearing a mask.

That said, I think all of us are mostly in agreement here. I don’t have my mask on when I’m outside, alone, or in my car, or anytime I have no worry of being around people. But if there’s a chance I am around someone, I will put it on. I think anytime anyone is around other people, no matter how far apart they are at the time, they should wear a mask, because you can’t control other people getting close to you.

More importantly, it so easy to have the mask handy just in case, I don’t know anyone would protest it.
    This is exactly the attitude I have about it as well. Wear a mask when around others, but not when alone or outside.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Re: COVID-19, heading into flu seaso

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Want to gives us some links in support of this statement.
    You want me to prove that, other than maybe a few days to a week, NYC hospitals were overrun? I'd just point you to Google man. This isn't controversial or a challenged fact. They had a spike and were otherwise fine, as it pertains to hospital space.

There's way more attention being paid to what could potentially happen to the elderly or to someone who is already compromised, and not nearly enough attention to what is being done to our kids who aren't experiencing life and the development that comes from that.

8. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (10-19-2020),Redhook (10-17-2020)

Covering my mouth with my arm, as I usually do, isn’t close as effective as wearing a mask.

That said, I think all of us are mostly in agreement here. I don’t have my mask on when I’m outside, alone, or in my car, or anytime I have no worry of being around people. But if there’s a chance I am around someone, I will put it on. I think anytime anyone is around other people, no matter how far apart they are at the time, they should wear a mask, because you can’t control other people getting close to you.

More importantly, it so easy to have the mask handy just in case, I don’t know anyone would protest it.
    This is pretty much what I do, but I bought a neck gaiter that can be pulled up because it's not as hot.

If I coughed or anyone coughed pre-Covid, there was no risk of getting a deadly disease.

A cough travels between 3 and 6 feet. So without a mask, you still need to stay 6 feet away from people to avoid infection (either way). That’s the science. That is what I am trusting. When I am outside and run the risk of getting within 6 feet of people, I wear a mask around my neck so I can pull it up when I do run into people.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/health-ne...vid-19/2020/04
    This is actually outdated information.

Most now agree it is transmitted via aerosol rather than droplets, as previously thought. The mask you wear doesn't help you much at all. But it does help everyone else.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

11. Likes:

757690 (10-17-2020),marcshoe (10-17-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Most now agree it is transmitted via aerosol rather than droplets, as previously thought. The mask you wear doesn't help you much at all. But it does help everyone else.
    Unfortunately, empathy, which is needed in order to make the best decision about mask wearing, is in desperately short supply in America these days.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (10-17-2020),mth123 (10-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

Thanks for the update. From the beginning I assumed wearing a mask was to protect others, not myself. I assume that if this virus is transmitted via aerosol, wearing a mask while around people, even outside, is more important.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

It seems Sweden is catching up with Europe. So much for that discussion over why Sweden was so special.

Attachment 16642
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-17-2020)

The biggest story that no one can account for is why countries with supposed hard lockdowns and “obedient” populations are seeing a resurgence. Most of the press is saying it’s because of lack of contact tracing. At least that’s the theory currently on offer for explaining why basically every European nation—hard and soft approach—is bouncing back badly. The lone exception seems to be Germany for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    You want me to prove that, other than maybe a few days to a week, NYC hospitals were overrun? I'd just point you to Google man. This isn't controversial or a challenged fact. They had a spike and were otherwise fine, as it pertains to hospital space.
    I'll take that as a no.

Another study that shows flying is really safe, much safer than you’d think. And, please don’t think I’m just throwing these airplane articles out there for funzies. My wife is a flight attendant and a lot of our friends are flight attendants and pilots. We take this very seriously and we’re very encouraged to hear it’s pretty safe to fly.
    https://www.military.com/daily-news/...L5wBK145CM0zfQ
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I'll take that as a no.
    Are 8 states being overwhelmed enough for you?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...rebound-429753

21. Likes:

M2 (10-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?