Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Dick Williams

Re: Dick Williams

Grandal had a better case for not accepting his QO, and regretted it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No player is a sure thing. Just look at what we've gotten out of Wood.

Arbitration for Puig is not an option. It's a qualifying offer or free agency
    Oh, I meant "The reds would not make a qualifying offer to Puig".

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I think it was a win just to get rid of Bailey. Anything on top of that is just gravy.
    Good post. I guess I feel that since the Reds just cut Kemp and ate the salary, they could have done the same with Homer.
    So to me, the interesting part of the deal is the two prospects for the other Dodgers plus whatever cash LA sent us (it is too complicated for me to remember)
    Overall, I am glad they made the deal. Not sure if it will be eventually graded as a "win" or not (Based on results).

Quote Originally Posted by bottom_feeder View Post
    Good post. I guess I feel that since the Reds just cut Kemp and ate the salary, they could have done the same with Homer.
    So to me, the interesting part of the deal is the two prospects for the other Dodgers plus whatever cash LA sent us (it is too complicated for me to remember)
    Overall, I am glad they made the deal. Not sure if it will be eventually graded as a "win" or not (Based on results).
    Reds didn't eat all of Kemp's salary, he was still being payed by the Padres and the Dodgers. I think the reds only ate about 7 mil of it.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Reds didn't eat all of Kemp's salary, he was still being payed by the Padres and the Dodgers. I think the reds only ate about 7 mil of it.
    Nobody here seems willing to buy this, I tried to get into it awhile back.

But for several reasons the net amount due Kemp by the Reds when released was substantially less than Reds owed Bailey ($28 million).

Kemp was originally due less than Bailey for 2019, the Dodgers’ cash payment to Reds in the trade off-sets some salary, as do (potentially) amounts still due from other teams for Kemp's salary, and amounts already paid to Kemp for playing for Reds this season. Not sure Reds only ate $7 million, but it was certainly less it would have cost to release Homer before the season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-25-2019 at 11:12 PM.

7. Likes:

HammerTime (06-25-2019),Old school 1983 (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Puig and Wood would have to have huge second halves for the Reds to give them a QO at this point.
    I disagree, I think both get one if healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    JD Martinez slugged .700 heading into free agency... I don't think Puig is going to be using that as his comp, lol.
    I think something that is half of that contract is more likely. 5 years $60M

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I disagree, I think both get one if healthy.
    The Reds aren't giving nearly 20 million for one year of a SP that hasn't pitched more than 150 innings since 2015 coming off a year where he missed over half a season with a bad back. They may as well give Ryan Madson another contract.

10. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019),mth123 (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The Reds aren't giving nearly 20 million for one year of a SP that hasn't pitched more than 150 innings since 2015 coming off a year where he missed over half a season with a bad back. They may as well give Ryan Madson another contract.
    I get what you are saying, but I would probably rather do that than sign him for long term. If he comes back healthy and does what he typically does someone is offering him $50M+ and he's turning down that QO. If he somehow takes it you have a really good SP at $18M for 1 year commitment. Could be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I get what you are saying, but I would probably rather do that than sign him for long term. If he comes back healthy and does what he typically does someone is offering him $50M+ and he's turning down that QO. If he somehow takes it you have a really good SP at $18M for 1 year commitment. Could be a lot worse.
    It's not like those are the only choices. If they are spending that much, they could sign somebody who doesn't have a bad back.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019)

I wouldn’t give Wood $10 million next year. Back issues are really difficult to fix, basically if it does get 100% better you are basically lucky. I would rather that money get spent on a non gigantic question mark. Let Wood be someone else’s problem.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

15. Likes:

bottom_feeder (06-26-2019),Sea Ray (06-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I wouldn’t give Wood $10 million next year. Back issues are really difficult to fix, basically if it does get 100% better you are basically lucky. I would rather that money get spent on a non gigantic question mark. Let Wood be someone else’s problem.
    I'd still consider bringing him back, but definitely not at $10 mill. Maybe like $5 mill with performance incentives, I think that's closer to being the market unless he looks really good if/when he pitches this year. Would not have a guaranteed rotation spot.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

No thanks on Wood for next season. Starting pitchers are too important to waste a spot on a back injury guy. Too much risk, even at a lower salary.

18. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'd still consider bringing him back, but definitely not at $10 mill. Maybe like $5 mill with performance incentives, I think that's closer to being the market unless he looks really good if/when he pitches this year. Would not have a guaranteed rotation spot.
    I wouldn’t even do $5 mil, it would be a built in excuse for the reds to not get another starter. “We really feel good about Wood” and at the deadline “it’s like trading for a quality SP!”

20. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I wouldn’t even do $5 mil, it would be a built in excuse for the reds to not get another starter. “We really feel good about Wood” and at the deadline “it’s like trading for a quality SP!”
    Alright but if Wood goes and puts up a good season for someone else we aren't allowed to complain then. I don't see the downside in a discount deal, and I don't think they're gonna throw Sims into the rotation or anything.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

22. Likes:

OGB (07-05-2019),WrongVerb (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Alright but if Wood goes and puts up a good season for someone else we aren't allowed to complain then. I don't see the downside in a discount deal, and I don't think they're gonna throw Sims into the rotation or anything.
    I hope Wood does perform well for another team. I don’t wish for anything negative on the guy. I do hope Ryan Madson nothing but the worst, though.

24. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-25-2019)

Turn Off Ads?