Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The Autograph Thread

Anyone collect? Big names?

I have a pretty sizable collection that I am trying to downsize a bit to focus on more high value signatures (keeps me from buying a bunch of nobodys and preserves wall space).

If anyone else collects would love to hear about any items or experiences you have had in getting them.

I think the highest value ones I have are Madonna, Brando, Michael Jackson and David Bowie.

My personal favorite is a self portrait/sketch by Phil Collins of himself playing drums. It was owned by a pretty famous soccer player and he donated it to charity and I won. Love that thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Autograph Thread

I have never asked anyone for one myself, had a Roberto Clemente one once on a ball.

Yeah I ruined it

I have 2 that I asked for Johhny Bench at a book signing for his master piece Catch you later and former ABA Pacer great Roger Brown.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I have 2 that I asked for Johhny Bench at a book signing for his master piece Catch you later and former ABA Pacer great Roger Brown.
    When I worked at WCKY I was in a room with just Johnny Bench and me for about five minutes.

I never asked for an autograph. Never even brought up baseball.

I don't even know if I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I don't even know if I said anything.
    Soooo..... how's Miss Vicki?

7. Likes:

redsmetz (12-23-2015)

I was producing the talk show he was on- I shook his hand and I don't remember much else, other than I couldn't stop thinking that hey, that's Johnny Bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I was producing the talk show he was on- I shook his hand and I don't remember much else, other than I couldn't stop thinking that hey, that's Johnny Bench.
    My conversation was Hey kid what's your name, I told him Bobby and my longer hair must have made him think I was female because he spelled it Bobbie.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I have a pretty decent collection of baseball autographs, my favorites being a Pete Rose baseball and a pretty hard to come by Ichiro autograph. I have quite a few entertainment related autographs as well. I don't usually ask in person but I have some autographs of pro athletes I grew up with.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I have two that are still intact, Phil Keaggy and Joe Nuxhall.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

In 1976 I got George Foster,Ed Armbrister and Manny Sarmiento's autgraph at Riverfront. When I went through the gates an usher handed me a card if I wanted to get autographs and told me where to go to. I wnet and stood in line for a while and finally they came. I think everyone was surprised that Foster was there. We were all saying we get nothing but scrub players.
    I also wrote to Johnny Bench and Roger Staubach and received autograph pictures back from those two. Also my brother got me one of those Reds highlight records from the 75 or 76 seasons back then. He bought it at some book store in the Cincy area. Marty and Joe were there that day autographing the records. So that made it neat to have. I remember covering it in plastic so the autographs wouldn't wear away.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Honus Wagner

I'm not a collector but I do have a baseball autographed by Johnny Bench and one autographed by the immortal Steve "Rainbow" Trout.

Also, when I was a kid and rabid Redskins fan, I thought Joe Theismann was the greatest QB who ever lived (I know, I know). My dad went out and bought Theismann's book, "Quarterbacking," then stood in line at an appearance at a Va. Beach mall to get him to autograph it. He surprised my brother and me with it. Back then, I thought it was one of the coolest things my dad could've done, and I still think it's pretty cool.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

In the early to mid 80's I used to send off post cards to baseball players home addesses and had them return it in a self addressed stamp envelope. Off the top of my head I got

Willie Mays
    Hank Aaron
    Ted Williams
    Joe DiMaggio
    Pee Wee Reese
    Sadaharu Oh
    Stan Coveleski
    Leo Durocher
    Monte Irvin
    Burleigh Grimes
    Preacher Roe
    Mike Schmidt
    George Brett
    Phil Rizzuto
    Joe Nuxhall
    Joe Charboneau
    Gary Carter
    Ray Morehart--Last living member of 27' Yanks
    Sparky Anderson
    Steve Sax
    Ron Cey
    Steve Garvey
    Craig Nettles
    Carl Erskine
    Hank Greenberg
    Charlie Gehringer

Oh and a autograph phote from the actor that played Ernest T Bass on The Andy Griffith Show.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 11-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

16. Likes:

RedsBaron (03-16-2019)

I have an autographed picture of Mickey Mantle that isn't in great shape because I thought it was fake for more than a decade. Mantle was signing autographs before a minor league game, and I was late. I found an autographed picture on a table and thought it was a cheap stamp. Quite a while later I was going through a chest and noticed that the ink had smeared a little. A closer look showed that it was unquestionably real.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I have an autographed picture of Mickey Mantle that isn't in great shape because I thought it was fake for more than a decade. Mantle was signing autographs before a minor league game, and I was late. I found an autographed picture on a table and thought it was a cheap stamp. Quite a while later I was going through a chest and noticed that the ink had smeared a little. A closer look showed that it was unquestionably real.
    His signature is a dangerous investment....lots of fakes. If yours is real, great for you.

Turn Off Ads?