Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autograph Thread

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: The Autograph Thread

I know a guy with a 100% legit signed Nirvana Mevermind piece.

And Im torn in getting it. For that type of money, is anyone going to care in 20 years?

They may, the value gain may have already sailed and Im hopping on the peak.

Im probably going to pass as they are a risky proposition anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I know a guy with a 100% legit signed Nirvana Mevermind piece.

And Im torn in getting it. For that type of money, is anyone going to care in 20 years?

They may, the value gain may have already sailed and Im hopping on the peak.

Im probably going to pass as they are a risky proposition anyway.
    I'd say it all comes down to price and what they want? I have heard and maybe you know better than I, and it kind of surprised me, that Cobain's autograph is not as valuable as one would think. The media obviously adores Cobain, but are there that many diehard Cobain/Nirvana fans anymore? I just don't feel like there are. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know any of 'em.

How do you feel about sports memorabilia? Do you think that will retain value better than movie stars? I feel like it probably will. Sports stuff I've found, especially by the legends, is harder to come by too. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryan etc. I've heard even Albert Pujols is really valuable. I imagine your best bet is to wait until those guys go into retirement and get to them before they make a deal with upperdeck or some other autograph service.

I always wanted those BRM signed bats (especially with Sparky), but it was always too rich for my blood for what they wanted at the signings.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'd say it all comes down to price and what they want? I have heard and maybe you know better than I, and it kind of surprised me, that Cobain's autograph is not as valuable as one would think. The media obviously adores Cobain, but are there that many diehard Cobain/Nirvana fans anymore? I just don't feel like there are. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know any of 'em.

How do you feel about sports memorabilia? Do you think that will retain value better than movie stars? I feel like it probably will. Sports stuff I've found, especially by the legends, is harder to come by too. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryan etc. I've heard even Albert Pujols is really valuable. I imagine your best bet is to wait until those guys go into retirement and get to them before they make a deal with upperdeck or some other autograph service.

I always wanted those BRM signed bats (especially with Sparky), but it was always too rich for my blood for what they wanted at the signings.
    A legit Nirvana piece has some value. The problem with Cobain is that even if you have one that is real, nobody believes it. He signed his name like a little kid and it's pretty easy to fake. PSA finally said enough- they don't authenticate Cobain except for rare instances and when they do, it's like $300. There was a signed Nirvana piece that sold for 7 grand or so on ebay within the last few months...it has some value.

Sports memorbilia. Sigh. There are soooooo many freaking fakes, that is a tough hobby to get into unless you absolutely know what you are doing. The names you listed all have held their value pretty well.

Scarcity is key, though some guys like Mantle who signed a lot still hold up well because of the great demand.

I was surprised to see a giant 16x20 rookie picture of Johnny Bench sitting on ebay for months at $349. The best catcher of all time, oversized, for $349. Man that seems cheap.

I think if you collected the greats as you mentioned, you would do quite well.

I've limited my focus to rock and roll and just a few artists.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 06-29-2014 at 10:46 PM.

A legit Nirvana piece has some value. The problem with Cobain is that even if you have one that is real, nobody believes it. He signed his name like a little kid and it's pretty easy to fake. PSA finally said enough- they don't authenticate Cobain except for rare instances and when they do, it's like $300. There was a signed Nirvana piece that sold for 7 grand or so on ebay within the last few months...it has some value.

Sports memorbilia. Sigh. There are soooooo many freaking fakes, that is a tough hobby to get into unless you absolutely know what you are doing. The names you listed all have held their value pretty well.

Scarcity is key, though some guys like Mantle who signed a lot still hold up well because of the great demand.

I was surprised to see a giant 16x20 rookie picture of Johnny Bench sitting on ebay for months at $349. The best catcher of all time, oversized, for $349. Man that seems cheap.

I think if you collected the greats as you mentioned, you would do quite well.

Does the value of the other members of Nirvana add that much to the value? I feel like I've seen regular Cobain's go for a lot less. But I didn't realize that there were so many forgeries.

At this point, I'd probably only obtain sports people in person if/when I can. Was just curious if you thought the autos may retain their value in the future.

Does the value of the other members of Nirvana add that much to the value? I feel like I've seen regular Cobain's go for a lot less. But I didn't realize that there were so many forgeries.

At this point, I'd probably only obtain sports people in person if/when I can. Was just curious if you thought the autos may retain their value in the future.
    Most of the value with Nirvana is Cobain. You'll see them go cheap many times because they are most likely fake. Most seasoned collectors are absolutely afraid to plop down the money it takes because they fear getting burned. There's an entire thread on Autograph Live about this very dilemma. Worth a read. The signatures of Grohl and Novoselic just complete the piece, you are correct, not major value, though Grohl actually is worth some money if you get him on the right thing.

Sports stuff holds it value pretty well as long as you get the right names. Yankees, especially. That Autograph Live board would die if the Yankees never existed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Set List Front.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	7448Not really an autograph, but check this out: a handwritten set list from Nirvana. this is in Dave Grohl's hand. It is from the February 9, 1992 show in Auckland. It is written on the back of their itinerary from their performance at the Brisbane Music Festival. Still has the tape on it from being adhered to the stage. Just awesome.

Name:	Set List Rear.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	7447

Name:	Set List Front.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	7448Not really an autograph, but check this out: a handwritten set list from Nirvana. this is in Dave Grohl's hand. It is from the February 9, 1992 show in Auckland. It is written on the back of their itinerary from their performance at the Brisbane Music Festival. Still has the tape on it from being adhered to the stage. Just awesome.

Name:	Set List Rear.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	7447
    that is SO cool! and crazy that it was almost 25 years ago. my goodness, where has the time gone.

I carried around, not an autograph of Ronnie Montrose, but his name and address on his deposit slip, in my wallet for a long time...from 1984 to about 1992. I was a teller at the bank and he gave me $4,000 to deposit. It was a copy of his deposit slip. Only myself and another girl in the bank even recognized who he was. I was timing the waiting line so that I'd end up with him. Yes. Wasn't supposed to do something like that, but it didn't hurt anyone. It was just for personal knowledge.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Dom Heffner (07-07-2014)

Name:	3PhUIv.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	7774

RIP to a legend

12. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-16-2014)

!!!

November 5, 2014
    7:00 PM
    Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
    Barnes & Noble Booksellers
    33 East 17th Street
    New York, NY 10003
    212-253-0810

I'm very sad to say I don't think I can make it due to an out-of-town commitment. Why oh why? I know there is no way he'd sign anything outside of his book, but even that would be super rad.

!!!

November 5, 2014
    7:00 PM
    Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page
    Barnes & Noble Booksellers
    33 East 17th Street
    New York, NY 10003
    212-253-0810

I'm very sad to say I don't think I can make it due to an out-of-town commitment. Why oh why? I know there is no way he'd sign anything outside of his book, but even that would be super rad.
    Oh wow. That would be sweet. You need to xancel plans.

Oh wow. That would be sweet. You need to xancel plans.
    I want to, I really do. But my significant other's cousin is getting married outside of the country then and I don't think I can bail. I'm bummed...bad timing.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Get someone to attend for you and get you a copy. Better than nothing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Get someone to attend for you and get you a copy. Better than nothing.
    Not a bad idea actually, but may prove to be difficult. This one will likely require a lot of time by getting there early. It's too hard to find people here in NYC willing to give up that much of their time. If this was something people could roll up for 5 minutes before, I think it would be possible but I'm just not seeing it here sadly.

Not a bad idea actually, but may prove to be difficult. This one will likely require a lot of time by getting there early. It's too hard to find people here in NYC willing to give up that much of their time. If this was something people could roll up for 5 minutes before, I think it would be possible but I'm just not seeing it here sadly.
    If I lived there I would do it for you.

19. Likes:

fearofpopvol1 (08-21-2014)

Turn Off Ads?