Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Curt Casali to 1y deal, DFA Moustakas

Re: Reds sign Curt Casali to 1y deal, DFA Moustakas

Reds Planning On Full Season For Tyler Stephenson

Reds manager David Bell said Friday that he wants Stephenson (collarbone) in the lineup for 140-150 games this season, Bobby Nightengale of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

That helps to explain why the Reds have stacked up an experienced cast of veteran backup catchers, Curt Casali, Luke Maile, and Austin Romine over the course of the winter.

Stephenson is expected to see a lot of time at DH and first base to aid in ensuring that he can handle a larger overall workload.

The 26-year-old was limited to 50 games in 2022 due to a range of different ailments, but it was a broken collarbone that officially ended his season in August. He's averaged an .823 OPS with 15 home runs and 73 RBI for every 162 games played when healthy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...on/ar-AA16PexJ

2. Likes:

goreds2 (01-27-2023),Old school 1983 (01-28-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Sounds to me like Stephenson probably starts less than 50 games behind the plate.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds to me like Stephenson probably starts less than 50 games behind the plate.
    Then they should 100% trade him.

6. Likes:

Crumbley (01-28-2023),Tuff Nut (01-28-2023)

Not sure where you got that from that article. They mentioned the DH will provide him “days off behind the plate.”

Sounds to me like he’s catching around 100 games.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He's still the best offensive player on the roster. I think guys who can OPS .800+ will be in short supply. Without Stephenson, they may not have any. Other teams know that Stephenson is going to be capable of only limited duty behind the plate. The return will be based on exactly how the Reds plan on using him. I don't think he's different than any other player. If you get an offer you can't refuse, deal him, but he's still a cheap middle of the line-up bat. No rush to deal him just to deal him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not sure where you got that from that article. They mentioned the DH will provide him “days off behind the plate.”

Sounds to me like he’s catching around 100 games.
    We'll see. I think he's going the Victor Martinez route from his Detroit days. If he's a similar .850ish bat, I'm fine letting him play anywhere as long as he's in the line-up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

9. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2023),Revering4Blue (01-28-2023)

One thing to note is that the new rules limiting how many times a pitcher can throw to first is likely to make the running game and stopping the running game more important. It could be those rules make Stephenson a poor choice behind the plate. Casali and Maile are much better suited to control the running game. Just like I think the shift rule hurts India's possibilities to stay at 2B, a new emphasis on stealing bases and taking extra bases that go with it may hurt Stephenson's viability as a big-league Catcher.

I think that may have as much to do with why the Reds brought in these defense first guys as anything. Throw in Stephenson's concussion and injury history and I think the handwriting is on the wall.

11. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2023),Bob Sheed (01-28-2023),REDREAD (01-29-2023),Revering4Blue (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I’m glad to know we’ll still be arguing in 2026 about Moustakas’ weight while the Castellinis continue to cry poor.
    I ain't sayin' Moose is fat. But the brother's weight is higher than his OBP.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

13. Likes:

malcontent (01-28-2023)

One thing to note is that the new rules limiting how many times a pitcher can throw to first is likely to make the running game and stopping the running game more important. It could be those rules make Stephenson a poor choice behind the plate. Casali and Maile are much better suited to control the running game. Just like I think the shift rule hurts India's possibilities to stay at 2B, a new emphasis on stealing bases and taking extra bases that go with it may hurt Stephenson's viability as a big-league Catcher.

I think that may have as much to do with why the Reds brought in these defense first guys as anything. Throw in Stephenson's concussion and injury history and I think the handwriting is on the wall.
    I don’t know about all this, but I strongly agree with the last phrase - the handwriting is on the wall.

Reds didn’t suddenly decide to sign several MLB catchers because they like them sitting on the bench instead of infielders and outfielders.

And you don’t sign all these guys just to give Stephenson normal starting catcher rest.

I have no idea how many games, but I think a good working premise is half Stephenson and half the others. The reason is obvious to keep his bat in the lineup almost every day.

While Maile is likely better defensively, Stephenson has been pretty solid with the glove, hasn't he? Last season, despite working with rookie pitchers and also-rans, he was slightly better than league average in terms of CS% and was much, much improved in terms of passed balls. Over the past two seasons, he's graded out as worth zero runs saved behind the plate, according to the Fielding Bible. (Casali is +4 in similarly innings; Maile grades out equally to Stephenson in 500 innings.) Small samples, of course.

Casali's CS% have been worse than that for years-- all the way back to his Cincinnati days.

My only other thought on this is maybe the Reds are lessening the catching load on Stephenson in this garbage 2023 season so they can use him there more in future seasons.

But my confidence in the Reds thinking that way is low. I think they are thinking Stephenson will get hurt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    He has the best plate approach I have seen on the Reds since prime Votto. And he will always give you defensive flexibility at the catchers position. I know you’re of the thought he’s just another guy if he’s not catching, but non-platoon bats with plate approach and on base ability are not just another dude. Especially with that kind of positional flexibility. Sure, trade him if you get blown away, but no reason to just drop the guy or shop him around.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (01-29-2023),Revering4Blue (01-28-2023)

Like I've been saying it makes zero sense to carry a guy like Maile if he isn't at least going to start 40 or so games behind the plate. I imagine Casali gets around 50 starts so that leaves Stephenson in the 60-70 games at C range which is what I think will end up happening. Depending on when Votto is ready and if he holds up Stephenson could see as much time at 1B as he does C this year.
    Last edited by JCM11; 01-28-2023 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Like I've been saying it makes zero sense to carry a guy like Maile if he isn't at least going to start 40 or so games behind the plate. I imagine Casali gets around 50 starts so that leaves Stephenson in the 60-70 games at C range which is what I think will end up happening. Depending on when Votto is ready and if he holds up Stephenson could see as much time at 1B as he does C this year.
    Last year revealed how important it is to have depth at the catcher’s position. It’s highly unlikely that all three stay healthy all season long.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (01-28-2023),Roy Tucker (01-28-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Last year revealed how important it is to have depth at the catcher’s position. It’s highly unlikely that all three stay healthy all season long.
    Also, if they plan on Stephenson spending time at DH, you have to carry 3 catchers or run the risk of losing the DH if the starter gets hurt

23. Likes:

757690 (01-28-2023)

Isn't Stephenson a sub-par catcher, defensively?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?