Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Playoff Push

Re: 2020 Playoff Push

More than anything, this past weekend against the Pirates really underscored how bad the Reds are defensively.

The main reason they probably won't even finish among the top 50% of the NL is that too many players have not hit well enough to overcome their defensive liabilities.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Right over the cliff.
    Hope isn't a strategy

My view was that Reds needed a 6-4 road trip to stay in it. Then do business at home. It’s still possible, but winning the Pirates series was a key part of it.

If Reds go 4-2 in Chicago and St. Louis, they’ll be 3 games under .500 and headed to a ten game homestand. They’d have a chance. Unlikely, but something to root for.

If they merely split the next six games, they’d remain five under .500 with 13 to go. I’d call that a bridge too far.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-07-2020 at 08:26 AM.

topsyt

In response to Crosley68-Exactly! I posted on this very forum last year asking BobC to sell the club . Under his ownership the fun is gone.
    Last edited by topsyt; 09-07-2020 at 09:06 AM.

playoff push,, that is risible

Too late to put it together with the Cubs and Cards on the road.

Worth The Wait

Because of the set up this season it’s hard to truly be “out of it” at this juncture. Yes, if the Reds win 5 out of 6 right now they’d like find themselves back right in the mix either barely in or barely out. But for me, they’ve crossed the bridge into “mathematically only” in terms of a playoff push. And that isn’t very fun. About 7-10 days ago I felt the Reds were still in an OK position despite their disappointing start. Hovering around .500 it didn’t take any major gymnastics to conceive of a way the Reds could make the post-season. They could just play “OK” the rest of the year and still sneak in.

Now, “OK” has left the building. I’d say playing “well” has left the building also. They can’t just play “well” from here on out and make it. They have entered “awesome” territory. The Reds need to play pretty awesome or get insanely lucky between now and end of month to have a chance. They desperately need to do something dramatic like win 5/6 against Cubs/Cards or perhaps sweep the Cards, etc. If they just tread water then that ten game home stand would need to be like an 8-2 stand to really make a move.

So now we are no longer talking about the Reds playing better. We need them to play awesome; to be one of the best teams in MLB for a 2-3 week stretch to truly have a shot to get in. And I don’t think you’re being a Debbie Downer to analyze the likelihood of that and fail to get excited about it.

At this point talking about the Reds man handling the Cubs and Cards and making the playoffs is like taking an old nag horse and saying it can win the Derby if it runs a 2 minute flat mile.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go on a run. This team is playing well-below their potential.

I certainly wouldn't count on it and won't be watching unless they make things interesting again.

The Reds need to play excellent baseball to stay in this. I hope they do but there’s a risk it goes the other way.

We’ll see how tough minded the team is. Some teams would check out mentally now, lose their edge, however you want to describe it. They know they’re behind the eight ball especially after splitting with the Pirates.

Hope the Reds stay sharp and play well, even if it isn’t quite enough. I’d like to see them keep pushing and maybe surprise with a few more wins than one might expect.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-07-2020 at 12:43 PM.

19 games remaining - 09/07/2020
    NL Central 1st - -5.0 Games
    NL Central 2nd - -3.5 Games
    NL Final Playoff slot - -2.0 Games

Disgusting loss to Pittsburgh cost us.....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I don't know why I watch. I shut the t.v. off and went outside. I think I liked watching last years team more. That is horrible. At least they had no expectations.
    Last edited by sdm24; 09-07-2020 at 12:10 PM.

I think they've put themselves in a position where they must win both the Cubs and Cards series this week to get some actual momentum going. 5-1 might make me a believer again; 4-2 may not even be good enough given how late it is and that they close against 2 strong AL Central teams (White Sox and Twins). Even the Brewers and Pirates at home aren't guaranteed series wins if they don't step it up.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I think they've put themselves in a position where they must win both the Cubs and Cards series this week to get some actual momentum going. 5-1 might make me a believer again; 4-2 may not even be good enough given how late it is and that they close against 2 strong AL Central teams (White Sox and Twins). Even the Brewers and Pirates at home aren't guaranteed series wins if they don't step it up.
    Yes I’d say 4-2 this week is the MINIMUM requirement to even make the home stand interesting/worth following. 5-1 or 6-0 and that would really light the fire. The reality of course is probably either 2-4 or 3-3 and we enter the home stand saying “well, if they go 9-1....”

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-07-2020)

The Reds are playing yet another meaningless September in a 60 game season where half the teams make it.

Turn Off Ads?