Page 29 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Re: Doc sez Krivsky FIRED!

Just win baby.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Sorry Hamilton struggling against LH is not a fact. At least he's not thus far.

.435 OBP .600 SLG 1.035 OPS. In 20 AB's he's also hitting .400.

I agree that for the Reds Kemp might have more value, but right now, Hamilton's ENORMOUS talent is showing.
    So. Would you trade Bailey for Hamilton right now?

Rem

Dunn/Bailey for Kemp
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Dunn/Bailey for Kemp
    That's a little much IMO.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Not sure, but GABP has been dead empty the few games I've watched on TV and the 5 games I've attended. One of those days (forget which one) I swear you could swing a dead cat and not hit another spectator.
    Disturbing that you used that image/example to make your point. I would have used "fired a machine gun all around you and not hit another spectator" but that's just me.

Dead cats simply do not deserve to be swung around at weeknight Reds games. Dead cats should be reserved for Mike Brown's front yard. You think if we dump 5,000 of them on Mike Brown's lawn that he would get the message? Whoops. Wrong site.

As for Jocketty in as GM, Krivsky out, I was surprised like many on this board. But I shouldn't have been. No matter what Jocketty said to reporters (toeing the company line) that he didn't want to be GM, he was just saying that to not be a jerk to Krivsky. It should have been obvious that if the Reds got off to a crappy start that he would be out and Jocketty would take over the baseball ops. However, I fully expected Krivsky to get the full year.

Does seem like a kneejerk reaction, but if Cast is bent on winning, I can't argue with that. I like that he seems a bit desperate to win. Beats the alternative that we've had here for years with owners who are so-so about doing what it takes to win. Who knows if Castellini will reach his goals, but I like that he's aiming high and putting his money where his mouth is. I'm comfortable with our payroll and a good GM could do a lot more with it. Once we get rid of cripping contracts like Griffey's, Freel's, Ross', Coffey's, Gonzalez's, Stanton's, Castro's, etc... hopefully Jocketty will be able to put a much better team on the field with roughly the same team salary (Reds are something like 19th in MLB, not too bad... and I bet Castellini would be willing to up that a little bit more.)

The good news is we have a great base of young players to build a franchise around. Not so sure why everyone is so down on Jocketty. All I remember is he used to put good teams on the field for the Cardinals every year. He would make good trades like bringing McGwire and Edmonds to town. Carpenter came for cheap from Toronto. The Cards always won while he was there. No reason to believe he can't get the job done here. He is certainly qualified for the position and I'm anxious to see what he will do with the best crop of young talent the Reds have boasted since the 70's. We've had some solid crop of young players over the years, but few better than Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Bruce, Phillips, Votto... And even our ace pitcher (Harang) is just hitting his prime at 29 and signed for the next three years. If anything, Jocketty's track record with the Cardinals tells me good times are ahead in Cincinnati. And if he made some mistakes trading young studs in StL, then I bet he learned from it. Looking at his overall resume, he did a great job. The Cardinals were willing to spend money, but they were actually closer to the Reds than they were to the Yankees/Red Sox in spending. We're not talking about some Brian Cashman with unlimited funds who still has no clue how to formulate a good pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    That's a little much IMO.
    Perhaps. But that's what it will take to get Matt Kemp. With the current foundation of this team, I'd jump on it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

After listening to the press conference I have a real bad headache.

Hey, been busy the past two weeks. Anything noteworthy happen with the Reds?

For the record, I think this is the best Reds team to take the field in eight years even if it is still a flawed enterprise. I don't think the 9-12 start is reason for concern and it certainly isn't reason to dump Krivsky.

Krivsky got fired because as soon as Walt Jocketty showed up he was always going to be fired for the first convenient excuse. That's just unconscious knowledge.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Kemp's not playing everyday.

Only Joe Torre has the answer as to why, for us.

Hamilton also still struggles vs. LHP. I'm not saying it as a knock on him, just pointing it out as fact. I also wonder if Hamilton will be able to hold up for a full season of 140+ games.

Most of the pitchers are RH. In totality Hamilton is a much more productive ballplayer as of 4-23-08 than Kemp is.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hey, been busy the past two weeks. Anything noteworthy happen with the Reds?

For the record, I think this is the best Reds team to take the field in eight years even if it is still a flawed enterprise. I don't think the 9-12 start is reason for concern and it certainly isn't reason to dump Krivsky.

Krivsky got fired because as soon as Walt Jocketty showed up he was always going to be fired for the first convenient excuse. That's just unconscious knowledge.
    You've missed nothing

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's a pretty delicate situation though. If you go to Dunn or Jr and ask for the list of clubs they want to be traded to, chances are that you at least partially burn the bridge with both of them.
    Dunn isn't going to want to hear his name in trade rumors for 6-8 weeks.
    We all know that Dunn and Jr are best buddies, so if you approach one or both of them about a trade, you risk Dunn throwing up his hands and testing FA..

The problem with Dunn listing Tampa as a trading partner is that there's no way they are going to trade for him. It's not that Tampa doesn't have talent. They won't take his salary. Heck, even if the Reds paid Dunn's entire salary, why would they want to give up prospects rent Dunn for 1/2 a year? Renting Dunn only makes sense to contenders. All Dunn has to do to block a trade is list small market teams that aren't contending.

But back to the other point, if you approach Dunn about a trade and you can't get a good return for him, you've kind of hosed yourself when you go to the negotiation table to resign him. I'm guessing Wayne tested the waters for Dunn last year and didn't get many appealing offers, at least the rumors were that Wayne was testing Dunn's trade value.

And who signed Dunn to such a contract? WK really has tied the hands of the Reds with what he agreed to in this deal

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    you and me both.

lots of mixed messages in there from castellini.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. We fired Krivsky because we're 9-12. The losing has to stop. In order for it to stop, we need to delegate more and embrace microbiology (I guess because they talked a lot about culturing stuff). Luckily we have a GM candidate that only has half his heart in it so he's definately on board with delegating but he's a proven winner too so he fits right in with our new branding.

Meanwhile, we'll work on getting our ownership to actually be able to articulate it's vision perhaps first by making ownership actually come up with one....

"This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Hamilton also still struggles vs. LHP. I'm not saying it as a knock on him, just pointing it out as fact. I also wonder if Hamilton will be able to hold up for a full season of 140+ games.
    1.017 ops is struggling? I realize the expectations have been high for Josh. But 1.017 ops?

wow he "fought for over an hour for his job this morning at an 8:30AM meeting"

PER WLW
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?