Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie/Keeper OF

Re: Rookie/Keeper OF

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Ya know, I'd expect that isn't the only thing that matters to you. The problem is that's all you talked about in your previous post.
    Which was an addendum to a previous post where I discussed many things, yet you chose to mischaracterize my thoughts on Maybin.

So far Maybin has been terrible again this year. There are likely several outfielders on the Free Agent list in every league that are better options than Maybin. He is a bad player on a team that plays in a terrible hitters' park.

EDIT: He replaced Maybin with a superior option in Ichiro, and now hopefully de Aza.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 04-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So, a little update...I picked up Ichiro off the waiver wire and dropped the much-balleyhooed Cameron Maybin. Now my situation is this:

OF Trout
    OF Stanton
    OF Fowler
    OF Ichiro
    DH?

BN Belt
    BN Alvarez
    BN Bradley Jr.
    BN Myers
    BN Puig
    BN Profar

Alejandro de Aza is out there on the waiver wire. Do I pick him up and drop Ichiro? Bradley? Puig? Belt?
    Alejandro de Aza should definitely be picked up! Quickly! Drop Ichiro.

Good move getting rid of Maybin. de Aza is 10x the player Maybin will ever be, especially if he stays in San Diego.

How many players can you keep each year in your league? Knowing that would help us decide which players should be considered as keepers or guys that could be dropped for players that can help your team now.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Alejandro de Aza should definitely be picked up! Quickly! Drop Ichiro.

Good move getting rid of Maybin. de Aza is 10x the player Maybin will ever be, especially if he stays in San Diego.

How many players can you keep each year in your league? Knowing that would help us decide which players should be considered as keepers or guys that could be dropped for players that can help your team now.
    Can keep 3. Realistically, that means Stanton (7th rounder next year) and Trout (11th rounder next year) + one more. Rizzo, Myers, Puig, Profar, and Shelby Miller are the most likely candidates for the last spot. I also dropped Bradley today. Thanks!
    Go BLUE!!!

Which was an addendum to a previous post where I discussed many things, yet you chose to mischaracterize my thoughts on Maybin. ...
    Sure, AD, whatever you want to believe.

I think the hate for Maybin has gone a little far here. I don't think he's as bad as he's being portrayed

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Adding in this year to the analysis is taking a lot of the wind out of Hamilton's sails. You won't really be able to count on much of Hamilton at all this year, except for maybe a handful of atbats. I fully expect Myers to get 300 at bats this year, and if one of the old people on the Cardinals falls over, Taveras could have the same thing come his way. I don't see any way Hamilton gets close to 300 at bats.
    I suppose that is fair.

I guess from my point of view if you're looking for production this year I'm not sure that any of these guys are a great bet, because even if a guy like Myers gets called up by June there is no guarantee he is going to hit enough to be more valuable this year than some of the replacement level talents, like De Aza, currently on the waiver wire.

I simply assumed that if you're looking at the likes of Taveras, Myers and Hamilton that you're making a long play for 2014 and beyond.

So I didn't win the claim on De Aza. I'm going to stick with an OF of Trout-Stanton-Fowler-Ichiro, and a DH of Kendrys Morales (who I picked up after losing out on De Aza) Alvarez, Myers, and Puig are on the bench as support.

If Myers or Puig get called up and start swinging the bat, I can bench Ichiro or move him to DH. In addition, if/when Alvarez figures things out he can compete with Morales for the DH role as well. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

(The only decent alternative to the above options that is available is Lorenzo Cain. Would any of you want Cain or Bradley Jr. instead of the guys I mentioned above?)
    Go BLUE!!!

So I didn't win the claim on De Aza. I'm going to stick with an OF of Trout-Stanton-Fowler-Ichiro, and a DH of Kendrys Morales (who I picked up after losing out on De Aza) Alvarez, Myers, and Puig are on the bench as support.

If Myers or Puig get called up and start swinging the bat, I can bench Ichiro or move him to DH. In addition, if/when Alvarez figures things out he can compete with Morales for the DH role as well. Thanks to everyone for your advice!

(The only decent alternative to the above options that is available is Lorenzo Cain. Would any of you want Cain or Bradley Jr. instead of the guys I mentioned above?)
    I would likely pick up Cain and drop Puig. A lot of people like Cain and think he will be good if he can stay healthy for once. Puig is unlikely to get much if any playing time this year. I am not a big fan of using roster spots on minor leaguers in re-draft leagues. Guys like Taveras and Myers are worth it because they are elite prospects and are likely to get a lot of playing time this year. Puig and Bradley not so much. Maybe pick up Cain and keep an eye on the waiver wire for an upgrade.

So De Aza is back on the waiver wire, and I'm putting in a claim (dropping Puig). Don't yet have a great sense of who I really want to play between De Aza, Ichiro, and K.Morales (I can play 2 of the 3). I also have W.Myers and C.Hart who should both be back in the lineup by Memorial Day.

Still though, it doesn't look like Puig is going to crack the Dodgers lineup this year (barring injury) and I think de Aza is worth pouncing on. Please tell me if you disagree.

Couple other moves I've made since this thread was last active (in case anyone cares) is trading Shelby Miller straight up for Jered Weaver and picking up Cingrani (dropping Marcum). I figured rookie pitchers are so volatile it's best to cash in on Miller's success now.
    Go BLUE!!!

Would you guys still drop Ichiro for De Aza?
    Go BLUE!!!

Would you guys still drop Ichiro for De Aza?
    Yes, I would.

Nice trade of Miller for Weaver too.

I would likely pick up Cain and drop Puig. A lot of people like Cain and think he will be good if he can stay healthy for once. Puig is unlikely to get much if any playing time this year. I am not a big fan of using roster spots on minor leaguers in re-draft leagues. Guys like Taveras and Myers are worth it because they are elite prospects and are likely to get a lot of playing time this year. Puig and Bradley not so much. Maybe pick up Cain and keep an eye on the waiver wire for an upgrade.
    I'm curious, AD, and I want to make sure I understand you correctly. Do you think that those two have similar ceilings? Cuz I think Puig has a much higher ceiling than Bradley and that Puig could be viewed as an elite prospect pretty soon.

I'm curious, AD, and I want to make sure I understand you correctly. Do you think that those two have similar ceilings? Cuz I think Puig has a much higher ceiling than Bradley and that Puig could be viewed as an elite prospect pretty soon.
    Puig is a better fantasy prospect than Bradley. Much of Bradley's value lies in his defense, which doesn't matter for fantasy. Puig is a good prospect, but not an elite prospect in my opinion, especially after his arrest yesterday.

Since Benihana said his league only allows three players to be kept as keepers, I don't think either Puig nor Bradley are worth rostering as potential keepers. Myers and Taveras possibly could be if he doesn't have any star players on his team.

Puig is a better fantasy prospect than Bradley. Much of Bradley's value lies in his defense, which doesn't matter for fantasy. Puig is a good prospect, but not an elite prospect in my opinion, especially after his arrest yesterday.

Since Benihana said his league only allows three players to be kept as keepers, I don't think either Puig nor Bradley are worth rostering as potential keepers. Myers and Taveras possibly could be if he doesn't have any star players on his team.
    I hope you're kidding.

I hope you're kidding.
    Nope, I don't think he is an elite prospect. None of the prospecting gurus had him ranked in their Top 25 prospects. ESPN didn't even have him in the Top 100. Fangraphs had him #99.

The arrest is not the reason why I said that. The arrest should hold him back a bit, but won't affect his long term status too much, other than the fact it shows he is not too bright.

Puig had a great spring training that boosted his stock. He is a good prospect who may end up becoming a star, but there are quite a few prospects I would rather have.

Turn Off Ads?