Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: COVID-19, Part 5 - the beat goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’m not getting bad information, I’m reading the actual research papers on this stuff rather than the media who has basically no scientific literacy and frequently reports bad information either out of ignorance or sensationalism.

That article in particular is light on actual figures and just uses vague signifiers like “many patients” without indicating how many that actually is, and relies on self reporting.
    This is the post I was talking about. You want scientific papers? Here ya go...

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sweden

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...ronavirus.html

Sweden put stock in the sensibility of its people as it largely avoided imposing government prohibitions. The government allowed restaurants, gyms, shops, playgrounds and most schools to remain open. By contrast, Denmark and Norway opted for strict quarantines, banning large groups and locking down shops and restaurants.

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark.

The elevated death toll resulting from Sweden’s approach has been clear for many weeks. What is only now emerging is how Sweden, despite letting its economy run unimpeded, has still suffered business-destroying, prosperity-diminishing damage, and at nearly the same magnitude of its neighbors.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-09-2020)

Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro tests positive for Covid-19 after months of dismissing the seriousness of the virus

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has tested positive for Covid-19, following months of downplaying the virus.

Bolsonaro himself announced the result, speaking on Brazilian TV channels Tuesday.

"Everyone knew that it would reach a considerable part of the population sooner or later. It was positive for me," he said, referring to the Covid-19 test he took Monday.

Earlier on Tuesday Bolsonaro's press office told CNN affiliate CNN Brasil that the President was being treated with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as he awaited the result of his fourth Covid-19 test in four months.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I can justify them in my own mind, but they're likely contributing to the spread of the virus.

Then again, as jup and others have pointed out, there seems to be a correlation between indoor activity and virus spread. So outdoor protests like the ones we've seen against systemic racism are probably much safer than a bunch of ammosexuals invading indoor spaces like Michigan's Capitol building or a major political party holding an indoor convention.
    "I can justify them in my own mind, but they're likely contributing to the spread of the virus."
    I would agree. There have been thousands of protesters a lot with out masks. Not to mention the recent spike came around a few weeks after the protests. The people that invaded the capital building all wore masks and had minimal people. The indoor convention only had 6000 people. So in numbers alone, these protests seem to me more likely to spread it.

I am all for there right to protest though. It just seems to me they are contributing to the spread.

Quarantining at home is not a violation of anyone's rights. OTOH, people who have died so that you can get your haircut or watch your stock portfolio increase a percent or two is, in fact, a violation of those people's rights. Hard to exercise rights when you're dead.
    The haircut meme is so lame. During the two months we couldn’t get a haircut, people were able to go out and buy beer and cigarettes just fine, and they were exposed more than I would be during a lifetime of haircuts.

Also, I hope you weren’t one of these guys patting yourself on the back during the lockdown for ordering takeout from restaurants and having teenage kids and poor people make your food for you and bring it to you. God, the self-righteousness is palpable.

8. Likes:

mgbrown66 (07-08-2020),Rojo (07-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    "I can justify them in my own mind, but they're likely contributing to the spread of the virus."
    I would agree. There have been thousands of protesters a lot with out masks. Not to mention the recent spike came around a few weeks after the protests. The people that invaded the capital building all wore masks and had minimal people. The indoor convention only had 6000 people. So in numbers alone, these protests seem to me more likely to spread it.

I am all for there right to protest though. It just seems to me they are contributing to the spread.
    The spike also corresponded with most states re-opening. Be careful you're not cherry-picking just to vilify some specific group.

In regards to long term lasting effects, how can we be certain when we are only 7 to 9 months removed from the virus originating?

11. Likes:

757690 (07-07-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

This is the post I was talking about. You want scientific papers? Here ya go...
    Yeah that’s kinda what I mean, yes covid causes elevated liver and kidney function, yes you see the ground glass opacity on lung scans. Those things aren’t unique to covid, other viral infections cause the same thing and it’s not indicative of long term major side effects or organ failure or what have you.

The most unusual thing about covid’s symptoms are the vascular effects, if I understand correctly from the research I’ve read. So yes, if you’re susceptible or at risk from stroke and heart failure, by all means you have quite a bit to worry about. But otherwise, there’s not really any evidence of a significant number of otherwise young and healthy people stroking out and all that from covid.

The spike also corresponded with most states re-opening. Be careful you're not cherry-picking just to vilify some specific group.
    Things were open well before that, but I will give you the spike is likely a result of the reopening as well.
    "Be careful you're not cherry-picking just to vilify some specific group."
    This seems to be what you are doing in regards to the protesters in Michigan.

That’s also true of like severe pneumonia and other severe viral infections, there’s no evidence that covid infections leave more long term health effects than those at the moment.

The source I use to stay updated on this stuff, the r/COVID19 subreddit over on Reddit, I think almost every single case of ground glass opacities in lungs has cleared up within 2 months, last I read about that.
    Covid has only been around for 6 months. It’s impossible for us to know the long term effects of it at this point. It could be null, if could be devastating or anywhere in between.

We need to wait out a long term in order to understand the long term effects of anything.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Rdirtypirates View Post
    Things were open well before that, but I will give you the spike is likely a result of the reopening as well.
    "Be careful you're not cherry-picking just to vilify some specific group."
    This seems to be what you are doing in regards to the protesters in Michigan.
    I can see how you might think that but my original post about them was to show that "you're not the boss of me" attitudes were well in place in April, when BostonRed said we should have had our thorough (rather than half-assed) shutdown. Then later, I pointed to them again (because they were fresh in mind) as an example of an indoor activity that was likely acting to spread the virus.

I will say that if it was up to me, I'd have our entire country shut down entirely for a month (after a 2-3 week run-up so people could stock up on supplies), save for first responders and health-care workers, and a very limited number of grocery workers.

People are now saying "we'll just have to live with it" which is a rather ghoulish soundbite, and certainly not fair to those people who might die from it.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Covid has only been around for 6 months. It’s impossible for us to know the long term effects of it at this point. It could be null, if could be devastating or anywhere in between.

We need to wait out a long term in order to understand the long term effects of anything.
    For the things that we can currently measure though, it doesn’t appear that any of the acute side effects of covid are turning into chronic conditions or permanent damage, as has been described at times.

Yeah that’s kinda what I mean, yes covid causes elevated liver and kidney function, yes you see the ground glass opacity on lung scans. Those things aren’t unique to covid, other viral infections cause the same thing and it’s not indicative of long term major side effects or organ failure or what have you.

The most unusual thing about covid’s symptoms are the vascular effects, if I understand correctly from the research I’ve read. So yes, if you’re susceptible or at risk from stroke and heart failure, by all means you have quite a bit to worry about. But otherwise, there’s not really any evidence of a significant number of otherwise young and healthy people stroking out and all that from covid.
    I'm open to looking at any professionally published scientific information you want to post here.

For the things that we can currently measure though, it doesn’t appear that any of the acute side effects of covid are turning into chronic conditions or permanent damage, as has been described at times.
    None of that means much though. All that can change in a few months or a year or two. I mean the long terms effects of smoking takes decades.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I will say that if it was up to me, I'd have our entire country shut down entirely for a month (after a 2-3 week run-up so people could stock up on supplies), save for first responders and health-care workers, and a very limited number of grocery workers.
    This isn’t possible by the way. There are so many jobs that are important to keeping supply chains running (which would include hospitals) that you can’t just shut down literally everything and still have a functional society.

Hell, even restaurants are so important to getting food to people that you couldn’t even shut those down, as no country in the world did except for maybe China and I’m not even sure about that case. Even Italy and Spain kept them open and they were the early worst case scenarios.

20. Likes:

Rantly (07-08-2020)

Turn Off Ads?