Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

i'm probably jumping the gun here; has only been a month+ of baseball. but if it were up to me, i'd offer jose iglesias a 2-year, $8MM deal and see if he jumps on it. maybe with a team option kicked in.

i love his glove. his bat won't nearly keep up this pace, but he's got a far better swing than i remember seeing during his early days in detroit. he always has been a defensive wizard and still is.

i might feel different if the reds had a real ss prospect who was ready to come up and seize the job in a year or two. but they don't. i think it's time to at least offer iglesias a contract and see what he says. after an offseason where he didn't get any guaranteed offers, i would think he would be up for it.

go ahead, skewer me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

I have no idea if he'd be willing to do a mid-season extension, but it would be worth exploring. 2/$8 mill seems pretty light though even if he is coming off not finding a ML job, I think he'd want at least $6-7 mill annually which I'd be fine with for two years. If he ends up with a career year at the plate (no sure thing but let's roll with the idea), he could get more like $10 mill on the open market based on what infielders got this last offseason.

I like his glove a lot and I don't think he'll ever be mistaken for Javier Baez but playing at GABP helps his offensive numbers. Been a really strong addition by the front office.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

bagz (05-07-2019),BillDoran (05-06-2019),JFLegal (05-06-2019),lollipopcurve (05-06-2019),Ron Madden (05-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I have no idea if he'd be willing to do a mid-season extension, but it would be worth exploring. 2/$8 mill seems pretty light though even if he is coming off not finding a ML job, I think he'd want at least $6-7 mill annually which I'd be fine with for two years. If he ends up with a career year at the plate (no sure thing but let's roll with the idea), he could get more like $10 mill on the open market based on what infielders got this last offseason.

I like his glove a lot and I don't think he'll ever be mistaken for Javier Baez but playing at GABP helps his offensive numbers. Been a really strong addition by the front office.
    he'll be a year older this offseason (i know, captain obvious) and i bet he's wondering if anyone would offer him even $4MM guaranteed for one year (2020) after not getting any offers last year. if the reds offer him $8MM, i think he would have a hard time turning it down. but i'd be more than fine with $10MM for 2 years ($5MM per) if that's what it would take.

Peraza’s start does kinda have me looking around at the possibilities out there...

2 year deal would be good, before he starts to lose a step at SS, not sure he would be on board though.
    Go Gators!

I'd much rather have Iglesias at SS the next few years than Peraza. We can find offense at every other position except probably catcher. Give me that GG defense at SS, and any offense you get from Iglesias is a bonus.

9. Likes:

'69 (05-06-2019),JFLegal (05-06-2019),KYExtemper (05-06-2019),malcontent (05-06-2019),mth123 (05-07-2019),RedEye (05-07-2019)

Iglesias hit a combined .259 - .301 - .364 over the previous 3 seasons entering this one. I do not feel comfortable giving him 6-7M$ per, it's why he had to settle for a minor league deal.

11. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-18-2019),DocRed (05-06-2019),HammerTime (05-07-2019),Roy Tucker (05-07-2019)

yes, and the wound is still fresh from only getting a non-roster invitee offer for spring training this year. i think he would jump at basically any legitimate 2-year offer, and i think $8MM would do the trick.

13. Likes:

'69 (05-06-2019)

I don't know if 8M$ over 2 years would do it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with 12-14 either.

Personally I'd offer him something like 4.5 in 2020, 4.5 in 2021, and a Team Option that paid him 4.5M in 2022 or a 1M buyout. At max that would pay him 13.5M but it'd be spread over 3 years. Which is a small enough amount that if you want to relegate him back to the bench you could survive with spending that much there.

But I probably wouldn't offer him anything before the ASB nears. If someone wants to give up something adequate for him, I'm dealing him. In all likelihood they won't, but also in all likelihood his offensive stat line drops between now and then and the desire on both sides might dim.

- - - Updated - - -

Switch Iglesias' name with Hamilton's and you're back to the end of 2018 IMHO. At what price point is it too much? And is there someone else that can do the job?

15. Likes:

'69 (05-06-2019),HammerTime (05-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Iglesias hit a combined .259 - .301 - .364 over the previous 3 seasons entering this one. I do not feel comfortable giving him 6-7M$ per, it's why he had to settle for a minor league deal.
    Don’t see the big difference between $4 mill and $6 mill in the Reds budget.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Don’t see the big difference between $4 mill and $6 mill in the Reds budget.
    It's the cost of an average reliever every single winter.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i'm probably jumping the gun here; has only been a month+ of baseball. but if it were up to me, i'd offer jose iglesias a 2-year, $8MM deal and see if he jumps on it. maybe with a team option kicked in.

i love his glove. his bat won't nearly keep up this pace, but he's got a far better swing than i remember seeing during his early days in detroit. he always has been a defensive wizard and still is.

i might feel different if the reds had a real ss prospect who was ready to come up and seize the job in a year or two. but they don't. i think it's time to at least offer iglesias a contract and see what he says. after an offseason where he didn't get any guaranteed offers, i would think he would be up for it.

go ahead, skewer me.
    I think it might be too early to sign him long term. I would wait until July.

He has earned the starting job at SS, and has left the hapless Jose Peraza in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    It's the cost of an average reliever every single winter.
    true. $2MM can buy a decent FA pitcher in this day and age if you play it right. pirates signed jordan lyles for exactly that amount last offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiohaybaler View Post
    I think it might be too early to sign him long term. I would wait until July.

He has earned the starting job at SS, and has left the hapless Jose Peraza in the dust.
    perhaps, but if you can lock him in now, why not? especially if it's on a team-friendly deal. unless you think peraza or alfredo rodriguez (or blake trahan, or anyone who i might be forgetting) is the answer at ss in 2020-21, then locking up iglesias would appear to be the prudent move to me.

The Reds should look to add a long term solution at SS. Jose Iglesias is a decent option, but he’s in his declining years, so maybe not him specifically. But for this year, the SS job should be his to lose at this point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?