Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I don't get the hate or the love directed at the guy. He is a mediocre football player who seems to be a great human being. I don't care about his spiritual beliefs anymore or less than I care about anyone else's. He just seems to be such a lightning rod for attention and has been since college.
    His heart isn't mediocre; neither is his record of coming back in the 4th qtr. It's really an extraordinary run

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    His heart isn't mediocre; neither is his record of coming back in the 4th qtr. It's really an extraordinary run
    I tend to think its quite an extraordinary run the defense has been on. That said the Broncos have been feasting on pretty poor teams during this "remarkable" run.

The defense is a huge part of it as is the O-line for its run blocking but Tebow's 4th qtr stats are laudable

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The defense is a huge part of it as is the O-line for its run blocking but Tebow's 4th qtr stats are laudable
    Sure. But you also have to consider that if SD doesn't miss a FG to win the game and if the Bears don't fumble in OT Tebow's not looking so great. I don't think the Bronco's can continue to win the way they have been. I just don't think a team can continue to score 18 points or less and win football games.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    There's the religious aspect too that I think is important. hopefully this doesn't turn into a political/religious thing, but that's most definitely in play here.
    This.

I simply don't get it. There are religious guys on EVERY team in football. Tons of them. Yet, I do think this is what a small number of people dislike him for, because he believes in God and is outspoken about his beliefs. The part that I don't get is where that has anything to do with him as a football player. On the field, he isn't discussing God or his beliefs with any fans.

The Broncos won 7 in a row 2 years ago with a terrible defense and Kyle Orton as QB. Vince Young won a bunch of games his rookie and the next year and people were saying the same thing about him knowing how to win. Orton was released and Young isn't far behind.

They can win with Tebow. The guy is smart, a good athlete, and seems incredibly determined. He may turn into a good NFL QB. But if they win with Tebow, it will be because he did just that. It won't be like they're winning now. Like I said in the other thread, he's like the closer who comes in with 2 run leads, loads the bases, walks in a run, then gets a line drive double play to end the inning. We hear from some how they get the job done based on their save totals. We've seen this closer in Cincy. Eventually, the luck goes the other way, and the result is ugly.

Their current brand of football is not sustainable and I guarantee you Elway and Fox know it. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they draft a QB next year. Tebow's easy to root for. I got tired of the hype in college and it's even worse now (if that's possible), but he's not done anything to warrant sports hate.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This.

I simply don't get it. There are religious guys on EVERY team in football. Tons of them. Yet, I do think this is what a small number of people dislike him for, because he believes in God and is outspoken about his beliefs. The part that I don't get is where that has anything to do with him as a football player. On the field, he isn't discussing God or his beliefs with any fans.
    I don't really care one way or another about the religion thing, but this is just freaking funny:

It's melodrama at its finest.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post

Why is it funny? Because people mock it? Or simply because he is praying?

I don't really care one way or another about the religion thing, but this is just freaking funny:

Yes. What is so funny?

I don't find the fact that he's praying funny at all. The melodramatic "pose" in which he does it is pretty funny though.

FWIW, Drew Brees is a pretty outspoken Christian, and you don't see people poking fun at him. I never found anything funny about Jon Kitna when he was playing for the Bengals (bone headed football plays excepted).

I don't hate Tebow a bit, so maybe you're mistaking where I'm coming from for what you've seen out of others. However, I sincerely get a chuckle out of how melodramatic the guy is. Sorry, but I'm just not going to feel bad about that. Why should I when it has 0% of anything to do with his religious beliefs.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Don't think this is sustainable at all, and actually think there's a good chance Denver loses by 35 this weekend, but long term it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tebow improves enough to actually be good. A smart coach that wants him would do him some good.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Don't think this is sustainable at all, and actually think there's a good chance Denver loses by 35 this weekend, but long term it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tebow improves enough to actually be good. A smart coach that wants him would do him some good.
    I agree. I don't think he is going to ever be an elite level quarterback, but he has a strong enough arm to go along with his ability to keep plays alive and the ability to flat out run the ball when he needs to, that someone should be able to do something very good with him if he is put in the right position with the right players around him. I think he still needs to shorten up his throwing motion, because it does give defenders that extra half of a second to get to where they need to be, but as far as the talent needed to succeed in the NFL, it is there with the right work.

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I'm pretty indifferent on him which seems to be the minority. I am really enjoying the story though. The best part of it to me is how polarizing he is, people either love him or they're for some odd reason disgusted by him.

All I know is he took over a team that was playing bad football and they've all of a sudden started to play over their heads. The way things seem to fall in place for him, and the way that he turns into a different player in crunch time is mind boggling.

I think people make too big of a deal out of what a traditional player is. The only people that care about winning pretty are people on the outside, I would bet anything the guys on that team and Bronco fans could care less how ugly their wins are.

Oh and Skip Bayless' love affair for Tebow is hilarious.
    I'm not disgusted by him, but I'm disgusted by the way the media fawns over a mediocre QB. He's not terrible, but he's not someone that deserves the type of attention he's getting. He's a good kid, hard worker and a good athlete, but the time devoted to covering him is beyond ridiculous.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I don't find the fact that he's praying funny at all. The melodramatic "pose" in which he does it is pretty funny though.

FWIW, Drew Brees is a pretty outspoken Christian, and you don't see people poking fun at him. I never found anything funny about Jon Kitna when he was playing for the Bengals (bone headed football plays excepted).

I don't hate Tebow a bit, so maybe you're mistaking where I'm coming from for what you've seen out of others. However, I sincerely get a chuckle out of how melodramatic the guy is. Sorry, but I'm just not going to feel bad about that. Why should I when it has 0% of anything to do with his religious beliefs.
    What's melodramatic about it? It's not a pose... people often get down on a knee or both knees when they pray.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?