Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Re: 2018-19 Euro soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Tottenham and Man City played at Wembley today with NFL lines still visible. Looked like garbage. I miss White Hart Lane.
    It was awful. I finally turned it off.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It was awful. I finally turned it off.
    I mean it was hilarious.

4. Likes:

M2 (10-29-2018)

Sergio Ramos elbow to the nose....deliberate or accident?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Sergio Ramos elbow to the nose....deliberate or accident?
    Didn't break anything, just caused a momentary gusher. No idea whether it was deliberate.

Sergio actually got his nose busted last season against Atletico by getting kicked in the face on an open header. Didn't even get the call. Finished the game and played pretty dominant football the whole time. If he was a Brit we'd hear about how it's a hard game and he's a hard man.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Currently sitting at the top of the Spanish league: Sevilla.

Liverpool on the edge of getting bounced from the Champions League. They have to beat Napoli, which has three points on them and a 2-0 home win. Assuming PSG takes care of its business, I think a road goal for Napoli might be enough to do the trick. The Reds, basically, are going to rely on winning a tiebreaker.

Tottenham also needs to win at Barcelona, or have PSV upset Inter, to go make the knockout round.
    Last edited by M2; 11-28-2018 at 05:51 PM.

And your Ballon D'Or winner is Luka Modric.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Catching back up: Mourinho out at Manchester United as of this morning; thoughts on yesterday's Champions League round of 16 draw?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Catching back up: Mourinho out at Manchester United as of this morning; thoughts on yesterday's Champions League round of 16 draw?
    Monster matchups for most of the English clubs: Spurs vs. Borussia Dortmund, ManU vs. PSG, Liverpool vs. Bayern. Liverpool might be the happiest of the three. Barcelona and Madrid got sneaky good opponents in Lyon and Ajax. Porto vs. Roma will be overlooked, but should be a lot of fun. Porto is a sleeper team in this field.

Yet the pairing that should be the highlight of the round is Atletico vs. Juve. That's going to be a war.

Anyone else watching the Sunderland Til I Die docuseries on Netflix?

Various post-New-Year notes and observations:

* Christian Pulisic is officially headed to Chelsea this summer. The price tag is eyebrow-raising, too much IMO, but I guess they have the dough.

* I know the opposition has been less than stellar, but Manchester United post-Mourinho looks like a dog that found the backyard gate left open. I think Mourinho was correct to doubt his defense but sometimes the best strategy is to just say "whatever, we can score more." Solskjaer's going to win his way into the permanent job if he's not careful, although the first real test against Tottenham looms.

* With that winning streak by United, the Premier League is back to having its usual top six separating from the pack.

* I have no read whatsoever on the Champions League because the most usual of usual suspects are having disappointing seasons by their standards. For everyone else, this is an opportunity that won't come along often.

14. Likes:

M2 (01-02-2019)

* Christian Pulisic is officially headed to Chelsea this summer. The price tag is eyebrow-raising, too much IMO, but I guess they have the dough.

* I know the opposition has been less than stellar, but Manchester United post-Mourinho looks like a dog that found the backyard gate left open. I think Mourinho was correct to doubt his defense but sometimes the best strategy is to just say "whatever, we can score more." Solskjaer's going to win his way into the permanent job if he's not careful, although the first real test against Tottenham looms.

* With that winning streak by United, the Premier League is back to having its usual top six separating from the pack.

* I have no read whatsoever on the Champions League because the most usual of usual suspects are having disappointing seasons by their standards. For everyone else, this is an opportunity that won't come along often.
    I'm having a ball watching Liverpool this season. I really started paying attention to them when I could regularly watching them about 5 years ago on NBCSN. Rogers took them pretty far. But man......Klopp is taking them to a whole other level. I knew they were great back in the 80's and such, but they are a tremendously fun team to watch.

On Pulisic, I was stunned at the fee, considering he'd be out of contract at the end of this season. Disappointed he wasn't rejoining Klopp. I hope it's the right move for Pulisic. American soccer needs it desperately to be. After watching the manager of Chelsea being interviewed after the game today, I kind of like "what the heck", he didn't know anything about the signing?

- The cool thing about Pulisic's price tag is, when they spend that much, they've got to play you.

- Few things in soccer are more liberating than losing Mourinho. He refuses to let players play. Once he's gone you get to find out if you have talent.

- The first round of the Champions League is going to be a cage fight.

17. Likes:

IslandRed (01-03-2019)

Epic match today but I think Liverpool falls off now (as much as it pains me to say). A third place finish wouldn't shock me. I just don't trust Klopp's usage of the midfield in this Liverpool team.

I think they'll be okay as long as they don't drop more points in the next few weeks (and with the schedule they ought not). It won't hurt to get Joe Gomez back, either. Good teams have been using Alexander-Arnold's side as the keyhole of Liverpool's defense for awhile now and that got extra exposed against City with Lovren alongside.

Turn Off Ads?